Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by steve4102
… like it.

Me? Not a fan. Only use it when it’s the only game in town

In the process of loading all my 25 WSSM brass, all 450 cases.

This is what I found in the first bag of 50.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Found 3 more so far with 200 new cases processed

Nice ey

Why you guys keep buying this schidt is beyond me.. Carry on though..
Can you supply me with a brass manufacturer other than Winchester that makes or even used to make WSSM Brass

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Those two look like my hot loads for a 223.

57.5 grains of H335 is cracking necks.

🦫
I wonder why!!!!🤣🤣
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

🦫
I wonder why!!!!🤣🤣
Compressed load. grin

Laffin...My actions were smoldering.

Reduce the charge, Beav!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Always seemed fine to me.

Get a bad one once in a while.

Would never consider calling them though....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Better than Hornady or Remington.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not a Winchester brass fan, Remington works better for me than Winchester. I use mainly Starline or SIG brass in handgun ammo and Hornady or Nosler in my hunting calibers.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Better than Hornady or Remington.
I have a bunch of Hornady brass in 44 magnum and 357 Magnum that is short. I guess it was originally loaded with those FTX bullets, or whatever they’re called. I cut the 44 brass down to 44 Special. I guess I could cut the 357 to 38 Special length, but then I’d have mismarked cartridges. You’d think they would Have designed the bullets to fit correctly in normal brass.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, it seems you’re stuck with it in that chambering. Whucha gonna do? Not buy it?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back in the 80's a friend bought 1000 pcs of brass for his 41mag.

Every one had a split neck when fired and some split while seating the bullet.

He had ordered them from Gander Mountain.

He called Winchester and they sent him a new 1000 pcs and told him to do what he wanted with the rest.

Not all of them split but even after annealing them there would be more split than good.

They knew they had some bad brass leave the plant.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
… like it.

Me? Not a fan. Only use it when it’s the only game in town

In the process of loading all my 25 WSSM brass, all 450 cases.

This is what I found in the first bag of 50.

Found 3 more so far with 200 new cases processed

Nice ey

Why you guys keep buying this schidt is beyond me.. Carry on though..
Can you supply me with a brass manufacturer other than Winchester that makes or even used to make WSSM Brass

If Winchester is the only manufacture of that brass, I would not buy the red and black bag stuff. It is total garbage. You probably should have read about a lot of people having issues with it. It's been around for about 5 years now. I believe Steve Redgewell started a thread on it, to name one person off the top of my head. My best suggestion is to find some older Winchester brass. They still sell older stuff or even once fired older brass on gunbroker. Buy the blue bag stuff, if need be. It's better quality from what I've seen. That's just a suggestion based on my experience, but others will probably agree. There are a couple/3 bags of it on gunbroker right now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I understand their LR primers are OK now, but I still don't trust them. Had a bunch get holes in them at the radius and dig a divot in the bolt face of a brand-new Garand bolt.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought some Winchester ammo for a 30-30 that had 2 of the bullets loaded into the case backwards. I wished I would have taken a picture of them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like Winchester brass. It has been my go to brand for years That if if nione was available then I'd go with Remington. Never did much care for Federal. I usually bought my brass in bulk from a guy that went to one gun gun show a year. He was out of Colorado and he'd come to Tucson for that one show only. He always had a lot of brass and bullets which is what he specialized in. Last time I did a buy had to be at least ten years ago. I bought every round of 7x57, Winchester and Remington, Winchester .358 brass and his last four bags of Winchester nickel plate .280 Rem. brass, Of the 7x57, no rejects. Not a single one. Five or six rejects on the .358 Win. brass. Seems like I have a few .356 Win. cases stamped .358. One the .280, no reject cases but every bag was short a few cases. IIRC, the total was 8 missing in action. That brass has made excellent ammo and case life has been quite good.
PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 02/03/23.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I understand their LR primers are OK now, but I still don't trust them. Had a bunch get holes in them at the radius and dig a divot in the bolt face of a brand-new Garand bolt.

I have a SA Range Officer with a pitted breech face from a bad lot of WLP I purchased during the dark lords reign. Same issue, tiny hole at radius and most of them had a crack down the side of the cup as well. I caught it before the pitting got bad. Only bought one brick of the bad ones. Should have badgered Win but I had a divorce going on and let it go.

The load was mild and one that I had loaded thousands before and after.

Some time later I read on Enos forum that some guys got Win to pay for new slides.

I still have 5k WLP in my stash, different lot number from the bad box. I'll use them if I have to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
From what I understand WSSM's have a short case life.

It new, never loaded straight out of the factory bag

that's about as short as case life can get......

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I have a SA Range Officer with a pitted breech face from a bad lot of WLP I purchased during the dark lords reign. Same issue, tiny hole at radius and most of them had a crack down the side of the cup as well. I caught it before the pitting got bad. Only bought one brick of the bad ones. Should have badgered Win but I had a divorce going on and let it go.

Some time later I read on Enos forum that some guys got Win to pay for new slides.

I still have 5k WLP in my stash, different lot number from the bad box. I'll use them if I have to.

Wow, hadn't heard that about the WLPs. I had used a brick to load a thousand rounds of 30-06 for my Garand, but had to break down 800 of them and reprimer.

Not fun.

They did send me the money for a new bolt and replaced the primers. I use them on low-pressure .45-70 loads, so far so good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Wow, hadn't heard that about the WLPs. I had used a brick to load a thousand rounds of 30-06 for my Garand, but had to break down 800 of them and reprimer.

Not fun.

They did send me the money for a new bolt and replaced the primers. I use them on low-pressure .45-70 loads, so far so good.

Glad you got something, I dropped the ball on that.

I'd still be careful using that same lot. The .45acp load I was using is a well known and used bullseye load. Very mild and still the bad primer cups pinholed and cracked.

The worst combo was a case with generous radius on the primer pocket. RP in my case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are Remington primers and they are not consistent in their size. I would blame the primer before the brass…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Those are Remington primers and they are not consistent in their size. I would blame the primer before the brass…

Win LP primers in RP cases.

Definitely bad primers.

The larger radius on RP cases just allowed the defect to show up more often.

Nothing wrong with the RP cases.

Sorry for the confusion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like WW brass, but they stopped making brass for two of my favorite cartridges. FOrtunately I managed to score a large supply, but they are my preference.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

🦫

that's a smoking load there

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.