Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
When it first started I mentioned it and a friend warned me to chill out on the heavy 70lb. dumbell curls. I didn't .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MPat70
Speaking of tendonitis I had a bout with it in my left arm. I had heard others talk of what a pain it was but didn't pay much attention until I got it. When it first started I mentioned it and a friend warned me to chill out on the heavy 70lb. dumbell curls. I didn't listen, I couldn't even sleep at night It was so bad.
Went to the doctor and I'm not a go to the doctor kind of guy. Their drugs didn't help whatsoever, just the usual take this and come back and see me in 2 weeks- bring me another $100 bill.

Another friend told me to go to the Golden Almond, some offbeat herbs and concoctions place etc. and ask the lady what you need.
She gave me some Pineapple Extract powder, I mentally laughed and left there with it. 2 days later there was no pain whatsoever, laf.
Mike, are you really serious about the pineapple extract powder? It really did help? Do you have to take it daily? How long have you been a pineapple extract powder junkie?
I ask because I have right elbow issues.
Yes, serious, Golden Almond on Racetrack Road Fort Walton Beach, FL.. 850-863-5811
I took it maybe a week and didn't do curls for a month < her advice. This was ?8? years ago, but they've been in business for many years.
Mentioned it to a friend while just talking and he said he went there and got something ?? for his skin and it worked great. He knew of several people who went there for all kinds of remedies.
I must check into this. Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673
I would be curious how many the rock climbers can do, they seem to have incredible hand and arm strength.

When I was in the Marines stationed in AK, our parachute rigger had a finger holds mounted above his office door. Rule was you had to do atleast 1 pull up by finger tips to enter.....I emailed or called him. He was a mtn/ rock climber.

Used to be good at pull ups and when the Marine Corps allowed kipping, I could do them for a while.

Now....no thanks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
When it first started I mentioned it and a friend warned me to chill out on the heavy 70lb. dumbell curls. I didn't .

A guy who used to work in Dynamic health club, Rick, an Air Force guy would see me curling 135lbs. on a straight bar at the sqaut rack. He'd hustle over grab onto the bar push it down onto the safety crossbars that caught the bar if someone could make the squat. And school me on how dangerous curling that much weight was. He had seen a guy doing exactly what I was doing and completely tore one of his biceps . Horrible sight according to him and a long road to recovery.
To add more to my BS, in my 30's I could do 3 single arm rows with 180lbs.,, 150lbs. when I was early 50's, although the third wasn't pretty. Might have been a factor in the tendonitis, 130's were a good balance for me.

I've been accused of being on steroids and never-ever once did I ever use them.
Lads that worked with me would laugh that I could pick up a 32' extension ladder curl it and press it over my head with one arm < with ease.

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/03/23.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm 50 and can crank out an honest 25 at any given time. Last year I did 5435 of them along with 21,570 pushups. A normal gym workout includes three sets of 20 pull-ups. The third set I sometimes I have to break into a 15 and 5. I've broken 30 and think that PR won't be beat anymore. It's harder each day to do 25.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang that is impressive. I need to work harder.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
Dang that is impressive. I need to work harder.

Either that or get younger.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Me, I'm like the old grey mare.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don’t weigh a lot. I do chin ups, pull ups, and dips. I use to lift heavy but don’t anymore. Nevertheless being light and strong still. Dips I can strap a 45lb on a leather belt chain.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I was doing chin ups from age 12 to age 48, but now in my 70s, I can only do one chin up.

My father installed a chin up bar in 1961.
I installed chin up bars in 1988, 2000, 2022, and 2022 [last one at my son's house]

how I mount them

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

how amazon bolts them to the wall

Pardon me for saying so, but that picture flatters you!
Not sure what you mean by mounting them. TMI, perhaps?

Last edited by WMR; 02/03/23.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I did pull-ups up until a couple years ago when one of my shoulders said ENOUGH! I had been doing 100 per day since my 20s, and had to switch to chin-ups. I'm now 61.

Back in my USMC heyday, I could knock out 3 sets of 20 pull-ups, no problem.

Nowadays, I'm doing 60 chin-ups every morning to start the day, and warm up for the rest of my morning workout. Some days I'll push it to 70 or 80, but max set is 10 reps.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I believe it. I used to curl like that when I was lifting. I was skinny too. Less than 145.

I had the Jr High record for pullups for 1 day. I did 36 without any prior training. Some nig athlete took the pullup test in the next day's gym class and did 37.

Now I'm old and my shoulders are shot, so I don't do pullups.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I looked up world record curl guy did 255lbs. w/a angled curl bar. Dumbells ? didn't see any records only some ole goof ''wrist curling' 256lbs. ?

A real test would be using a preachers bench with no butt off the seat , no swinging, strict hand on dumbell and curl it.
The Arm-Blaster doodad that goes across your chest isolates the arms well.

Maybe rcamuglia is a small guy who uses the little aerob-a-cise dumbells - the purple & pink ones with the foam grip. lol

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/04/23.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked up world record curl guy did 255lbs. w/a angled curl bar. Dumbells ? didn't see any records only some ole goof ''wrist curling' 256lbs. ?

A real test would be using a preachers bench with no butt off the seat , no swinging, strict hand on dumbell and curl it.
The Arm-Blaster doodad that goes across your chest isolates the arms well.

Maybe rcamuglia is a small guy who uses the little aerob-a-cise dumbells - the purple & pink ones with the foam grip. lol

Nice fantasies

Post a video of you curling 70 pound dumbbells for reps with good form. It’ll be interesting

I was curling 135 on an Olympic bar 30 years ago. I’m doing seated dumbbell curls now with 40’s for 10 with good form.

We all know there’s a few factors here; form and cheating. Oh, and if you’re on gear

Are you claiming 70 is your workout weight for reps with decent form?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
I would be curious how many the rock climbers can do, they seem to have incredible hand and arm strength.

Most probably can't do as many as you might think. Climbing is largely upper back, forearms, hands and unless a guy is speed climbing there is a good bit of recovery time between "reps". A trained up climber can raise himself up with one hand, or hang from a finger or two for a while but that is a bit different from banging out one rep after another on a chin bar with form that uses mostly lats and biceps.

We also train more of a chest up than a chin up. Getting your chin above a hold or some other rock problem doesn't help much, to get over it you have to get your chest above it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Maybe you missed this or commented without reading.

[quote=ol_mike]Several years ago I worked up to 18 straight hang pull-ups ,, no kip/kipping [swinging], age 50+. I didn't do any for 10-12 days preparing to do 20 then >.

""""" Injured in a fall, compound fractured right arm, 11 broken ribs, collar bone, back broke L1/t12, ++.
Can't do a single pull up now."""""

I have titanium rods holding my right arm together, nerve damage that causes big hand tremors and can only turn my palm upward to 'shaking hand' position. Can't use normal rifle stocks anymore, thumbholes/pistol grip now.
1 foot long surgery scar.
Worked up to 45lbs. dumbells, wrist crackling and snapping, pretty painful and stays constantly sore when doing it.

Amazing at the level of knowledge you have gleaned about someone by reading an internet post. lol

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[quote=ol_mike]Several years ago I worked up to 18 straight hang pull-ups ,, no kip/kipping [swinging], age 50+. I didn't do any for 10-12 days preparing to do 20 then >.

""""" Injured in a fall, compound fractured right arm, 11 broken ribs, collar bone, back broke L1/t12, ++.

I have titanium rods holding my right arm together, nerve damage that causes big hand tremors and can only turn my palm upward to 'shaking hand' position. Can't use normal rifle stocks anymore, thumbholes/pistol grip now.
Worked up to 45lbs. dumbells, wrist crackling and snapping, pretty painful and stays constantly sore when doing it.

Amazing at the level of knowledge you have gleaned about someone by reading an internet post. lol

Sorry to hear it. Sucks

I work out at a gym full of powerlifting steroids users. Some hold powerlifting records. Many compete.

I’ve never seen anyone curling 70’s for reps

Maybe the fall effected your memory?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Sorry to hear it. Sucks

I work out at a gym full of powerlifting steroids users. Some hold powerlifting records. Many compete.

Hahaha! Sounds like a good gym! Never took steroids, but a lot of my powerlifting friends did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by benchman

Sorry to hear it. Sucks

Hahaha! Sounds like a good gym! Never took steroids, but a lot of my powerlifting friends did.

It is. 60,000 square feet.

One of my friends power lifted and completed 30 years ago. Never cycled. He had super-human strength, literally

At 165 pounds, he had a 650 pound squat and deadlift

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

A guy who used to work in Dynamic health club, Rick, an Air Force guy would see me curling 135lbs. on a straight bar at the sqaut rack. He'd hustle over grab onto the bar push it down onto the safety crossbars that caught the bar if someone could make the squat. And school me on how dangerous curling that much weight was. He had seen a guy doing exactly what I was doing and completely tore one of his biceps . Horrible sight according to him and a long road to recovery.
To add more to my BS, in my 30's I could do 3 single arm rows with 180lbs.,, 150lbs. when I was early 50's, although the third wasn't pretty. Might have been a factor in the tendonitis, 130's were a good balance for me.

I've been accused of being on steroids and never-ever once did I ever use them.
Lads that worked with me would laugh that I could pick up a 32' extension ladder curl it and press it over my head with one arm < with ease.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (007FJ, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,370
Posts18,506,547
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.