Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m trying not to be agitated about this but I shared trail camera pictures with a pretty good friend who then moved in on a neighboring property to get at some solid bucks I was hunting. As a general rule I don’t show or share pictures until I have a dead animal.

I hunt public land and it’s not hard for most people to figure out where I hunt. I also have a small tract of private land with permission to hunt and most people know I’m not there it’s just a small community and word gets around. I have learned that the only way to keep this from happening is to literally share your hunting Intel with nobody. Just show the pictures after the season of what you killed. Now I pretty much only show people pictures on my phone rather than sending them by text because once you do, they will send your pictures around to others and pretty soon everyone knows and moves in on you. I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone.

Correct me if I’m wrong am I just being too selfish or possessive? Or do any of you deal with the same frustrations?

I don’t want to be selfish but when I work all spring and summer scouting and running cameras and doing the work it’s frustrating for someone to move in and hunt at the beginning of the season, even though they haven’t done any of the legwork.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Agree and you must be young, we figured that out a long time ago. Fishing is worst.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In general? Nope. I don’t dig for information either. It seems someone is always learning that lesson the hard way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need new friends, a true friend wouldn't do that.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hunted public land too and I never ever talked about my hunting spot. I had a set of guys who moved in on me after they followed my dragging trail. Didn’t last long though, Forestry Division came in and messed the whole place up the next year. Hunted that area for over 30 years and never had seen another person in it except my brother until that morning. Those were good times.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I watch where I take pictures of fish , too much scenery in the picture gives away clues to location. Hunting is the same way.....I only share with those with me. I will share generalized information and caution as to hazards. But not precise info

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have friends that have some really good hunting areas. They call me to pack out there game with my horses so I know exact location. I have never went back to there areas to hunt. Most folks don't seem respect that

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
You need new friends, a true friend wouldn't do that.

Bingo.

I'll share Intel with friends I trust and they with me because we know we'll support each other but never move in on them. Often we'll invite each other to hunt a nice one.

I've shared fishing info during a tournament with friends who I'm competing against too. Every time I've still beat them, but they increased their bag by the info. We value or friendships over a fish or animal. Never take advantage or screw someone over, even if it's public land.

Sounds like you need to raise your standard of a friend.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell no. My dad and son only. Dad doesn’t hunt anymore and son goes with me. I normally tell him where I’ll be just in case I don’t come home since 90% of the time I hunt/fish/landcruise solo.
You don’t share your hunting spots, fishing holes or mushroom patches.

Last edited by jackmountain; 02/05/23.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I learned the year after I shot my largest buck. I mentioned to one guy who wasn’t a hunter where I was, and the next year there were 8 people in my general area. This was on a controlled access area of a military installation.

Old70

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even showing kills can be a bad idea. If they already know where you hunt then you show some nice kills the cat is out of the bag.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Trust no one.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yes. I have a group of friends I share I share hunting and fishing locations with. Information flows both ways

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by old70
I learned the year after I shot my largest buck. I mentioned to one guy who wasn’t a hunter where I was, and the next year there were 8 people in my general area. This was on a controlled access area of a military installation.

Old70
Folks who don’t even hunt are the worse.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In the coastal deep south if you park your vehicle and head out hunting , mouth-breathers will park and hunt there too. Never park 'near' a good spot and never walk on the road, they'll track you.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appreciate the input from everyone and agree you can’t trust anyone. At the same time I feel like there’s a balance because hunting is a community thing and my circle of people is very small. I have a brother-in-law and one close hunting buddy that I trust and I guess I will just keep it in the small circle. It’s just too bad because shared experiences are so enjoyable.

I’m in my 50s I’ve been hunting all my life.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like to tell them boys on my deer lease I saw a big buck run by their stands, gets them all pumped up. I sometimes make a big rub on a small mesquite tree where they can see it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only with my kids and grand kids. I am their scout.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was on a lease one time and you had to report your kill to the club president. You had to tell where you killed it as well. Funny thing about that, if you killed a good one, the next time you went back to your spot, the club president would be hunting very close by. Several of us would tell him that we killed in some very nasty places to get to instead of where we actually killed it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I like to tell them boys on my deer lease I saw a big buck run by their stands, gets them all pumped up. I sometimes make a big rub on a small mesquite tree where they can see it.

That’s good^

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,191
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.