Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Standing at a grocery store checkout circa 1993 or so.
Pimply faced kid asks checker (busy checking my purchase) for dollar bills that would work in the Coke machine.
I quickly dug three one dollar bills out of my.pocket and swapped the kid even up for his 3 one dollar Silver Certificates.

Somewhere I’v got a couple silver certificates around that someone gave me as cash. I’d forgotten until you mentioned it.

Update: I found them two fives and a ratty one. I’m at least $11 closer to my first million. 😁

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As a kid we got paid with dimes and quarters. They both were made with silver. Yes is the answer.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I was about 12 another kid showed me 20 or 30 half dimes
his grand dad saved by punching a hole and stringing them on a wire.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Pimply faced kid asks checker (busy checking my purchase) for dollar bills that would work in the Coke machine.
I quickly dug three one dollar bills out of my.pocket and swapped the kid even up for his 3 one dollar Silver Certificates.
LOL. Nice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WMR

Somewhere I’v got a couple silver certificates around that someone gave me as cash. I’d forgotten until you mentioned it.

Update: I found them two fives and a ratty one. I’m at least $11 closer to my first million. 😁
Back in the 1970s silver certificates were still floating around in circulation, and it wasn't uncommon to get them in change from time to time (it was thought a novelty by most, assuming they even noticed the difference). I think by the 1980s, they were all snatched up by collectors.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
All $2 bills from USAF in Biloxi to send message to Klan supporters.
Are you fuggin stoned?

Serious question

Obviously you were still in diapers in 65' OR stoned like you hero drug addict avatar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by WMR

Back in the 1970s silver certificates were still floating around in circulation, and it wasn't uncommon to get them in change from time to time (it was thought a novelty by most, assuming they even noticed the difference). I think by the 1980s, they were all snatched up by collectors.

Currently, a circulated silver certificate is worth $1.25 to $1.50. Their "value" is zero as a monetary unit, though they will be accepted as a dollar bill.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Currently, a circulated silver certificate is worth $1.25 to $1.50. Their "value" is zero as a monetary unit, though they will be accepted as a dollar bill.
They are great to have to help teach people about the nature of money, and how real money (a necessary factor in a free society) was gradually stolen from us, and replaced with a government/banking Ponzi Scheme played on the general public.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have been payed in silver coins years ago, Have a silver and a gold certificate tucked away.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Strippers don’t seem to appreciate being paid in coins.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chris_c
Have been payed in silver coins years ago, Have a silver and a gold certificate tucked away.
Me too. One day I'll take them to the bank and ask for my silver and gold in exchange for them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Higginez;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope you're having decent for this time of year weather down there and you and your fine family are well.

Since I am the very farthest thing from an expert on silver, I'd just offer the following.

Here in the land of BC bud, there has always been a thriving trade in - well trade - you know?

A quick perusal of the local buy and sell shows bars and coins for sale up and down the valley.

There seems to be a preference for Canadian Maple Leaf, Australian and South African minted coins. Folks indicate that if they're in the original individual packages from the mint that's even better.

Random bars from Billy and Bubba's refinery abound but are always suspect and tend to be either used by the very knowledgeable who are able to discern the purity of the metal or by folks easily parted with their funds.

Some of the knowledgeable folks are connected so to speak and it appears to be unwise to swindle them or that's the persistent rumor.

As noted the price wanders around a wee bit but hasn't changed all that much in the past 20 years, while gold has gone up.

https://goldprice.org/gold-price-charts/30-year-gold-price-history-in-us-dollars-per-ounce

If my crystal ball had been better tuned, my Y2K metal purchases would have tended more to including gold instead of lead, but that is what is and all that, right?

Hopefully that made enough sense to be useful.

Best to you all Higginez.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Higginez;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope you're having decent for this time of year weather down there and you and your fine family are well.

Since I am the very farthest thing from an expert on silver, I'd just offer the following.

Here in the land of BC bud, there has always been a thriving trade in - well trade - you know?

A quick perusal of the local buy and sell shows bars and coins for sale up and down the valley.

There seems to be a preference for Canadian Maple Leaf, Australian and South African minted coins. Folks indicate that if they're in the original individual packages from the mint that's even better.

Random bars from Billy and Bubba's refinery abound but are always suspect and tend to be either used by the very knowledgeable who are able to discern the purity of the metal or by folks easily parted with their funds.

Some of the knowledgeable folks are connected so to speak and it appears to be unwise to swindle them or that's the persistent rumor.

As noted the price wanders around a wee bit but hasn't changed all that much in the past 20 years, while gold has gone up.

https://goldprice.org/gold-price-charts/30-year-gold-price-history-in-us-dollars-per-ounce

If my crystal ball had been better tuned, my Y2K metal purchases would have tended more to including gold instead of lead, but that is what is and all that, right?

Hopefully that made enough sense to be useful.

Best to you all Higginez.

Dwayne
In Y2K, wasn't silver like $5.00 per ounce? It's been as high as $50.00 per ounce since then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Real Hawkeye;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that northern Florida is getting acceptable weather for this time of year and you're well.

If one bought it during the runup to Y2K then it was closer to $10, but early in 2000 the bottom did drop out for sure.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1470/historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart

As you've mentioned, it's bounced up and down a fair bit since then for sure.

There's plusses and of course then minuses of holding actual metal in hand.

Like most things I suppose, it's treasure down here that moth and rust will destroy eventually, but then too the Good Book encourages us to both be good stewards of our "stuff" and to have ears to hear as well.

I'm not adamant one way or the other on the issue and know folks on both sides who are reasonably adamant about their position.

Best to you this weekend Hawkeye.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/04/23. Reason: schpell czech broked

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Saw one that could pick up a roll of quarters stacked with her hooha.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once bought a truck for $5k in cash, ~$1k in Silver Rounds, and a Winchester Defender shotgun. Did the deal in the back room of a bar in downtown Carson City. We all kinda got a kick out of the whole thing...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
never received payment in silver before.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Strippers in Winnipeg can pick up Loonies and Toonies with their labia.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Only 3 or so days before Easter.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (204guy, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,608
Posts18,532,787
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.