Hop To
#18106473 02/06/23
K
kenoh2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Never owned one but have heard that they have appreciated in price lately. Anything specific to look for or avoid? Read elsewhere that the ones made in Kentucky are prone to be more accurate.

Found one at a local shop in very good condition. Has an older 1" Weaver scope. Smooth stock. Asking $175 but is likely negotiable.

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Love mine I've had it since 1980 never a problem,just keep it clean

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The older ones had a 2 piece feed throat that is prone to separating. The 2 that I own are used, and were so cruddy in the action I'm surprised they shot. If you can get it for under $175 that's pretty good for these days. If it is an older one the plastic buffer may have hardened and cracked or may in the near future. They are cheap, and easy to replace.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it’s in good condition it’s worth 175$, I can barely fill my truck with diesel for that price.

Wac em and stack em
K
kenoh2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Looked at it again today but didn't bring it home. The shop owner was preoccupied by some doofus asking him for legal advice regarding a shop that sold his old cub cadet mower to cover his unpaid service bill.... blah blah blah....
If it's still there next week, I'll offer 150.

He actually has 4 model 60 rifles. This one is in the best condition.
Has the long mag tube. Pre '86ish?
Made in North Haven, CT.
Scope is a Weaver K2.5 in pretty good shape for the age. Wouldn't leave it on the gun but may have some resale value.

IC B2

J
JJF Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
The older ones had a 2 piece feed throat that is prone to separating. The 2 that I own are used, and were so cruddy in the action I'm surprised they shot. If you can get it for under $175 that's pretty good for these days. If it is an older one the plastic buffer may have hardened and cracked or may in the near future. They are cheap, and easy to replace.
+1. My former SIL gave me his old Marlin 60. Don't know how old it is (and don't really care) but it has a 21" barrel, long loading tube (almost to end of barrel) and last-shot hold-open feature. When I got it, the action was full (and I do mean full) of crud. Since he had fired almost exclusively CCI Stingers (which are not recommended based on the instruction manual I printed), I did replace the plastic buffer (easy to do) and gave it a thorough cleaning. The action ran noticeably smoother, after I cleaned it. This is the most accurate rimfire rifle out of the 4 that I own with anything I've shot out of it (mostly CCI and some Winchester ammo). Given the long barrel and the feeding tube, it is also the easiest for me to shoot accurately without a rest. I don't know what the prices are running for used ones in my area.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Never owned one but have heard that they have appreciated in price lately. Anything specific to look for or avoid? Read elsewhere that the ones made in Kentucky are prone to be more accurate.

Found one at a local shop in very good condition. Has an older 1" Weaver scope. Smooth stock. Asking $175 but is likely negotiable.

Marlin made good guns in CT, so I doubt that the Model 60s made in KY would be any better. From what I've seen, most Marlin guys don't hold the KY rifles in as high regard as those made in CT.

When Marlin was making them, I thought that they tended to be more accurate out of the box than comparable Ruger 10/22s. If you wanted a rifle to use as is, the Marlin was a better choice than the Ruger, but the Ruger was the way to go if you wanted to start changing parts to better fit your wants/needs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had my Model 60 since 1965. It is my go-to over my 10-22s.
Stamped Western Auto, Grandpa's eyesight got bad.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had my Model 60 since 1965. It is my go-to over my 10-22s.
Stamped Western Auto, Grandpa's eyesight got bad.
I don't shoot hot ammo thru it.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
kenoh2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Brought the Marlin home today. Serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1988. Ran a full tube of ammo through it without a hiccup.
It's probably in number five position for sighting in and tinkering.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations on getting a great fun shooter.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Brought the Marlin home today. Serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1988. Ran a full tube of ammo through it without a hiccup.
It's probably in number five position for sighting in and tinkering.

You got a good one to have as shooter.

Originally the Model 60 (as opposed to the walnut stock Marlin 99 versions) were a Glenfield branded gun with stocks that had the pressed Checkering and Squirrels in them . I still own a few of those and they are a fun little rifle.

In the mid 1980s Marlin dropped the Glenfield designation and made them as Marlin m60s with plain birch stocks. By then they also had incorporated the wider polymer trigger guard with the bolt stop release which many folks prefer. When your gun was made, they still had the full length 18 round tube magazine.

Last edited by jk16; 05/15/23.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The CT made marlins are the ones you want. The 60 is easy to clean and will be reliable if kept clean and maintained. We have a CT made model 70HC which is a predecessor to the 795. Its accuracy is outstanding.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.