Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have acquired a rifle about which some of you may be able to provide further information. It appears to be a Mauser Type M Sporting Carbine. It is marked “Mauserwerke A.G. Oberndorf” on the left side of the receiver. The left side of the receiver ring has “7x57” and the serial number. The rifle has a 20-inch barrel and a Mannlicher-style full length stock, checkered on the fore end and pistol grip. It has a butter knife shaped bolt handle and double set triggers. The butt plate is blued steel and marked “Mauser” with a trapdoor compartment. There is a folding leaf rear sight and fine bead front sight. I have a copy of the 1936 Stoeger’s catalog which features an illustration of the rifle as a Type M. Olsen’s “Mauser Bolt Rifles” also shows the rifle. I am not sure how to determine the exact year of manufacture. This is all I’ve been able to learn about the rifle so far, and would appreciate any further information anyone here might be aware of. I would be glad to post photos, but don’t seem to be able to.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a beautiful rifle. Would love to see pics.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here is an Oberndorf Type M, with specifications just as you describe. It is chambered in 7x57 also. Hopefully yours hasn't been drilled or modified as this one has, for they are quite rare.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Here is an Oberndorf Type M, with specifications just as you describe. It is chambered in 7x57 also. Hopefully yours hasn't been drilled or modified as this one has, for they are quite rare.

Most beautiful one I have seen. Please find me one like it... shocked

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Teebone, that appears to be the very same model. Mine has not been drilled for a scope Mount. I intend to leave it as is.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by wrongtime
Teebone, that appears to be the very same model. Mine has not been drilled for a scope Mount. I intend to leave it as is.

You have a very fine rifle.

You'll likely find a few guys on the "Mausers and Military Rifles" forum who have better knowledge of the commercial Oberndorf rifles. They would certainly enjoy some photos if you can find a way to post them.

The book "Mauser Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" by Jon Speed would be another good source. I believe it's out of print though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TeeBone

That rifle model in that caliber was like a wet dream for me when I was a kid...lol.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Indeed. Very nice rifle.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
T
I have the Jon Speed book, I could look it up for you if you're willing to share the serial number. It would give you a ballpark idea of when it was made.

Teebone, beautiful wood on type M, even if it has been drilled. A real treasure.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I could hunt deer the rest of my days like the one pictured above.

The way life should be.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,246 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.