Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
As I was perusing the local grocery store, I wandered by the magazine aisle. I noticed a large empty spot. It was where the gun magazines were. I haven't drooled over a gun magazine in a while, since they became largely tactical ad platforms, but occasionally buy one if there was something of interest in it. I suppose someone high up in the grocery store chain decided that nobody needs a gun anymore. Near as I could tell, there were NO outdoor magazines there. I guess everyone stays inside today. Just a rant. I feel more like a dinosaur every day.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Giant Eagle near me has a whole rack full of gun and outdoor mags. But I live in Podunk, Pa. I quit reading those years ago.

Like the American Rifleman Mag, there is an ad on every page (or Wayne LaPierre's face, which is worse) I realized years ago that most of the articles in mags like Outdoor Life and Field and Stream conflicted with my own experience....As an example, once read an article in one of those mags where the gun writer tried to rationalize that the 243 wasn't enough gun for Coyote!!!

"an armed society is a polite society"

MAGA!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wegman’s in my area doesn’t either of late.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here at Kroger. I used to get Handloader, Guns and Ammo, and Combat Handguns there. The woke mob took over.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
The Giant Eagle near me has a whole rack full of gun and outdoor mags. But I live in Podunk, Pa. I quit reading those years ago.

Like the American Rifleman Mag, there is an ad on every page (or Wayne LaPierre's face, which is worse) I realized years ago that most of the articles in mags like Outdoor Life and Field and Stream conflicted with my own experience....As an example, once read an article in one of those mags where the gun writer tried to rationalize that the 243 wasn't enough gun for Coyote!!!

MAGA!
This was at the local, Erie, Pa Giant Eagle. We are run by Democrats. The whole city has switched from manufacturing to tourism. Makes sense. They have a whole 3 month tourist season...

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rite Aid pharmacies in SE PA used to carry a lot of them but they no longer do either.

Last edited by Motown; 02/08/23.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Remember my daddy bought me my first Outdoor Life at Eckerd’s Drug store. Six years old. Funny how some things stick in your mind. I can still see the article about fishing for King Salmon and another about deer hunting.

Down the rack was where I saw my first Playboy. At Eckerds! Dang! Six years old and looking at every nekkid pic I could find. I remember holding up the centerfold and checking it out top to bottom…my dad coming over and taking it from my hand….the lecture coming. I can only imagine the little old ladies stroking out seeing my grin.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See outdoor magazines here in the grocery store. Local Piggly Wiggly even carries Muzzleloader Magazine along with some of the tactical stuff, Guns of the Old West types too.

Wonder if the "hole" was there because they were re-stocking? Happened to me at Barnes once - whole shooting/gun section was mostly empty and I thought "damn, you too?" but then some lady came out with a cart full of boxes filled with mags and was filling the rack.

Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Magazines, newspapers, paperbacks....all are dying on the vine as new forms of disseminating information are employed. Most things found in magzines are now easily found online.

A retailer seeing profits dwindle will put something else on the shelf. A woke retailer hastens the process. How often had a favorite product been replaced by something else because the manufacturer didn't make an acceptable profit margin?

Still, hard to beat the feel of a new, crisp, pristine book or magazine. I often would peruse a magazine only to purchase a fresh one from the middle of the stack.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Same here at Kroger. I used to get Handloader, Guns and Ammo, and Combat Handguns there. The woke mob took over.

Ron

Depends on the Kroger, I remember when they threatened to do it, but the krogers down south still have plenty of gun mags.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dess
Magazines, newspapers, paperbacks....all are dying on the vine as new forms of disseminating information are employed. Most things found in magzines are now easily found online.

A retailer seeing profits dwindle will put something else on the shelf. A woke retailer hastens the process. How often had a favorite product been replaced by something else because the manufacturer didn't make an acceptable profit margin?

Still, hard to beat the feel of a new, crisp, pristine book or magazine. I often would peruse a magazine only to purchase a fresh one from the middle of the stack.

Best thing about magazines - I can still read them in the outhouse at deer camp.

Me

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Even small newspapers are dying as the older generation dies off. It's unfortunate when people use FB as their source for some local news.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.