Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I wanted a red dot forever because I thought I'd love it. Finally got one and put it on a Glock 40. I just can't warm up to it. Hats off to anyone that can afford to put in enough time and money to get fast with one, because it ain't me.

I'd personally never put one on a serious carry gun. The added accuracy potential doesn't make up for the slower target acquisition in my book. Give me a laser instead.

There is no cost to learn how to acquire the DOT fast, it is all about presentation and that can be learned without firing a shot. If you can't find the FOT then you aren't aligned with your sights.
Perfect presentation and sight alignment are fine goals however real world situations don't always allow for it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wanted a red dot forever because I thought I'd love it. Finally got one and put it on a Glock 40. I just can't warm up to it. Hats off to anyone that can afford to put in enough time and money to get fast with one, because it ain't me.

I'd personally never put one on a serious carry gun. The added accuracy potential doesn't make up for the slower target acquisition in my book. Give me a laser instead.

There is no cost to learn how to acquire the DOT fast, it is all about presentation and that can be learned without firing a shot. If you can't find the FOT then you aren't aligned with your sights.
Perfect presentation and sight alignment are fine goals however real world situations don't always allow for it.

Here we go again. Cue the circular reasoning music....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dry firing is your friend.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Here we go again. Cue the circular reasoning music....

My reasoning tells me that if you must practice MORE with a red dot to reach the same level of competency with iron sights then a red dot is in fact less intuitive and more difficult to use.

If you can reach that level then more power to you but acting like red dots are the best thing since sliced bread and every handgun needs one just because they're the "IN" thing right now is asinine. They have their place and their limitations.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not correct.
With the proper presentation, the red dot simply gets in the way of the target.
That's not a bad thing.
Unless you are running some low tier crap on your pistol.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WTM45
Not correct.
That's not a bad thing.
I'd say not being able to see the target is a bad thing.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Then you are going to miss any fast needed fire.
Real world dies allow for it and this can be proven just go to a major competition and the fastest shooters will be using DOTs.

Your grip must be consistent as well as consistent presentation to aquire the sights or DOT quickly

Last edited by jwp475; 02/10/23.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I signed up for a match this weekend. I think it is 80-90% dots now. I was a non believer until I wasn’t.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Real world dies allow for it and this can be proven just go to a major competition and the fastest shooters will be using DOTs.

Your grip must be consistent as well as consistent presentation to aquire the sights or DOT quickly

Real world self defense shootings don't take place on IDPA ranges.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Or internet forums. Lots of people use them and are very proficient with them. Just because you can't doesn't mean you're right.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Why is that? Not many if any at the police station either? Do you have a point are do you get off on posting BS

Last edited by jwp475; 02/10/23.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Why is that? Not many if any at the police station either? Do you have a point are do you get off on posting BS

Red dots have been big with the race gun crowd since the 90's at least. No one is arguing they don't work. Do they work as well or better than iron sights on a carry gun? That is the question. It's for each individual to decide for themselves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red dots on handguns are faster and more accurate than irons. The gap between them gets larger the further you are from the target.

The data is there.

But, the bottom line is taking advantage of the edge in speed and accuracy that a dot gives you require solid fundamentals. The advantage of a red dot on a handgun is icing on the cake.

Most people don't have the cake.

The best part is I remember this exact debate regarding irons on rifles. The "muh I qualified at Pendleton out to 500 meters with irons, it's better than an optic" crowd was huge.

I was in that crowd.

I won't make that mistake twice.

All that said, if you don't have a fundamentally sound presentation, and you're not inclined to practice, sick with what you've got.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My reasoning tells me that if you must practice MORE with a red dot to reach the same level of competency with iron sights then a red dot is in fact less intuitive and more difficult to use.

If you can reach that level then more power to you but acting like red dots are the best thing since sliced bread and every handgun needs one just because they're the "IN" thing right now is asinine. They have their place and their limitations.

Your reasoning, or at least your conclusion, is flawed. You're not reaching an equivalent level of competency.

What you are really saying is that iron sights make it easier to cover up the deficiencies in your skill set. But if you're fine with that, run with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s frustrating to know how little formal instruction it takes to “get it” when it come to acquiring a dot during the draw, and to see so many people fail at it.

It’s understandable. People don’t know what they don’t know. The first time I tried a dot I hated it. But I went and found the people who did know and asked questions amd was willing to be the guy who didn’t know it all. If you’re willing to learn, and have someone who knows what to tell you, they’re really not that difficult at all.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It’s frustrating to know how little formal instruction it takes to “get it” when it come to acquiring a dot during the draw, and to see so many people fail at it.

It’s understandable. People don’t know what they don’t know. The first time I tried a dot I hated it. But I went and found the people who did know and asked questions amd was willing to be the guy who didn’t know it all. If you’re willing to learn, and have someone who knows what to tell you, they’re really not that difficult at all.

Thank you for making my point for me. Irons are simpler and easier for most average people to become proficient with.

However that clearly doesn't apply to the high speed low drag operators here on the fire.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WTM45
Not correct.
That's not a bad thing.
I'd say not being able to see the target is a bad thing.

It is a great feeling to know where that dot lands is where that round lands.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Life Member
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a friend that teaches a red dot course for his LE agency. He told me that most officers come in thinking the dot is not for them but by the end of the course, they have all become converts.

Heck I went back and forth for a couple of years and used a similar excuse, “I’m faster to the first shot with irons.” Took some advice, put it in place and stuck with the dot.

Try this.

Last edited by TWR; 02/10/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Thank you for making my point for me. Irons are simpler and easier for most average people to become proficient with.

However that clearly doesn't apply to the high speed low drag operators here on the fire.

He not saying that.

But red dots and poor fundamentals don't get along well. So, I guess you could say that it's easier to hide crappy fundamentals with irons.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 26 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.