-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You pay your money and pick your poison .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve used Stihl all my life. I just bought a 250 Farm Boss and was quite happy with the performance of that little saw. As mentioned above you have to go to the Stihl dealer to get a real Stihl. The ones sold at the big box stores are only Stihl in name, NOT in quality.

As to which one you should get?…get whatever you can get at your local dealership since that’s where you’ll be taking it for service.
The Stihl 250 is the one I am looking at, price of $399.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
50:50 fuel:oil mix? 50 to 1, Homer Simpson moment on the keyboard

Why 100 octane? only thing you can trust around here... at local Airport.. local dealers sell Non Ethanol, that ISN'T Non Ehtanol.

HomeyD took back a 2 yo saw? Saw was 18 months old, with a three year warranty, but this was the first time it was used... ran 3 thanks of fuel then wouldn't start....

Am I missing something? NOT NOW...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
First Off
I am not a Chainsaw Expert
That Said
I have burned up a lot of Chainsaws in my life time.

I got tired of the gas saws and cheap ones as well.

I went and Paid over $350 for a Husky Electric Chainsaw.
This was before they came out with Battery saws.

My first tree that I cut down with it was a soft Chinaberry Tree and I burned it up.
$350 down the drain

Then I needed another Chainsaw so I went looking for a high quality saw.

I went down to a shop that sold Husky's Stihl Eco and probably others.
I talked the the owner of the shop that I knew Personally.

Then I went home and did a lot of homework on line.

For me it was Stihl . The good Huski's were for big heavy work.
I purchased an MS311 with an 18" bar Since then I have added the 25" bar that is recommended for the Saw and I just last week purchased a Carbide 25" Chain for it at $100+.

I used the MS311 for quite some time and after the learning curve to start it I absolutely love this saw it is a Rancher Grade saw. It is above the homeowner grade and just barely below the Pro grade as per Stihl's chart.

I then needed a smaller trimming saw so i did some more online homework and decided on the MS194T Pro Grade Stihl Top Handle with a 14" bar that I can hold out with one hand to cut limbs when I need to.

I use the pre mixed gas that Stihl sells and they gave me 2 extra years on the warranty.
I do not cut a whole lot per year so the cost of the gas in not that bad considering that even Premium gas from a station was screwing up all of my other prior Chainsaws .

If I ever need another Chainsaw it will more than likely be a Stihl saw
The 2 I have are Great tools.

Last edited by funshooter; 02/14/23.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by Seafire
Huskie or Stihl?

e.

What exactly are you mixing 50/50?

Edit to add:

I’m using the same Stihl 032 my dad bought in 1981.

that is why I am looking there.. didn't think I needed one that 'professional'... but after dealing with Homo Depot, will pay the difference for something that I don't have to take 250 miles away to get fixed...

I know people who use their saws hard and often... and have 20 and 25 year old Stihls...

IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Hahaha 😆

Wasn't it ol' Seafire, that a week or so back, had Larry Potterfield knocking on deaths door in the old folks home?

yup, Larry is in an assisted living facility if ya didn't know that...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Which ever brand you choose, run this and lose the headache of getting junk at the pump. It lasts a long time stored as well.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Most are 50:1 ratio now

lol

Fire dept has a Jonesrud?? that is 100:1.

Stihl is better supported here....and I don't like the sound of Husqvarna.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you’re not your own mechanic I’d pick the closest & best retailer that isn’t a box store.

I looked hard at the Husky 455 - Sam Olsen (I believe) has one he’s happy with and honestly I don’t think you can get much more saw for the money. That said I went Makita mostly because I do all my own work and don’t rely on a dealer. Probably dumb but that’s what I did and am very happy with my 5105 in the 50cc class.

More specifically are you looking for a 50-60cc all around saw or more of a limbing & cleanup saw? I only ask because a 40cc class saw is still awesome and generally more nimble.

I hear the new auto-tune carbs are great but I’ve only used the old adjustable versions.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 02/14/23.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Guys...

Figure I'll go over and pick up the Stihl 250... available with 20 or 24 inch bar...
Local ACE has a shop within the store... Rural area, so its needed and gets plenty of business...

There is a Lowe's about 50 miles from here.. Gave their customer service a call just to see an alternative to Homo Depot for my other needs...
Got someone within a few minutes...gave my number and they called me back...

With Home Depot... I have been on the phone with Home Depot, talking with over 5 reps, that were not located within the USA and all Hablo Espanoley.... for going on 2 hours to get question answered... took the new saw they replaced the other one with, back to them and got my money back....

Going to be doing a lot less business with Home Depot.. customer service ALONE is worth the longer drive over to Lowes....

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Husky man myself got a fleet

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hahaha 😆

Wasn't it ol' Seafire, that a week or so back, had Larry Potterfield knocking on deaths door in the old folks home?

Originally Posted by EdM
Interesting about the assisted living as I spoke with him at the DSC show a couple of weeks ago and he appeared just fine.

Originally Posted by Tarbe
Larry's in an Assisted Living facility these days... Midway has a new President or CEO... Larry is still the head guy, I'm sure just to maintain control with veto rights on business decisions...His time alive is limited

Might want to check your sources. I had a nice conversation with him at DSC. He was full of life and seemed completely fine to me.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks Guys...

Figure I'll go over and pick up the Stihl 250... available with 20 or 24 inch bar...
Local ACE has a shop within the store... Rural area, so its needed and gets plenty of business...

There is a Lowe's about 50 miles from here.. Gave their customer service a call just to see an alternative to Homo Depot for my other needs...

With Home Depot... I have been on the phone with Home Depot, talking with over 5 reps, that were not located within the USA and all Hablo Espanoley.... for going on 2 hours to get question answered... took the new saw they replaced the other one with, back to them and got my money back....

Going to be doing a lot less business with Home Depot.. customer service ALONE is worth the longer drive over to Lowes....
for the love of God do not put a 24-in bar on that thing. really wouldn't even put a 20 18 would be pushing it 16 would be better 14 it would be a good saw

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Lewis Power has Husky....and full time on site saw mechanic...for only about 5% more on price than Tractor Supply. They are on Redwood Hwy across from Albertsons.

Flintlocke.. thanks for the input..

I know where Lewis is... I've done business on Lawn Mower parts in there for quite a while.. 20 plus years..

Will go in there and see what they have currently, before I go finalize a purchase at Fields on Rt 238 just before you get into Murphy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I looked hard at the Husky 455 - Sam Olsen (I believe) has one he’s happy with and honestly I don’t think you can get much more saw for the money. That said I went Makita mostly because I do all my own work and don’t rely on a dealer. Probably dumb but that’s what I did and am very happy with my 5105 in the 50cc class.

Pints, I actually have a 550XP I and a 550XP II stashed away that I've never used, hasn't seen a drop of oil or gas.

The original 550 works fine, little fussy sometimes starting up but I've figured it out. And it will bog out a little here and there when it's below 0F.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hahaha 😆

Originally Posted by EdM
Interesting about the assisted living as I spoke with him at the DSC show a couple of weeks ago and he appeared just fine.

Originally Posted by Tarbe
Larry's in an Assisted Living facility these days... Midway has a new President or CEO... Larry is still the head guy, I'm sure just to maintain control with veto rights on business decisions...His time alive is limited

Might want to check your sources. I had a nice conversation with him at DSC. He was full of life and seemed completely fine to me.

But IT had to be True! It was on the INTERNET! smile even had pictures... probably was his dad then...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're acting like you should be in the assisted living facility.

I'd stick with one of those little battery operated saws if I was you.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
If you’re not your own mechanic I’d pick the closest & best retailer that isn’t a box store.

More specifically are you looking for a 50-60cc all around saw or more of a limbing & cleanup saw? I only ask because a 40cc class saw is still awesome and generally more nimble.

I hear the new auto-tune carbs are great but I’ve only used the old adjustable versions.

The local ACE that carries Stihl was recommending the 250 Stihl... said the product has been around for over 30 years...had high compression, and a lot of torque... compared to the carb on the 251, spoke about where it has some carb issues for pollution control to make Californians happy..
also said parts were readily available anywhere since it has been around so long...

If something bigger is needed, I have friends who them that are willing to drop over if I need them for a bigger job... a Bottle of Jack Daniels or a case of their favorite beer, goes a long way if I need some help.... smile

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're acting like you should be in the assisted living facility.

I'd stick with one of those little battery operated saws if I was you.

That is kinda funny....I am self employed and install Emergency Response Systems for Assisted Living Facilities... and support .

So I am in an assisted living facility several times a week...when its your time, I can probably give you some recommendations...if ya need some..

and the electric battery saws... bought one so the wife can start it when she needs some for her stuff around the yard, garden, trimming limbs, and her flower bed stuff...

Good thing you're not me isn't it? We all can't be a Montana Rancher...where men are men and the sheep are nervous.. smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ldholton
Thanks Guys...

for the love of God do not put a 24-in bar on that thing. really wouldn't even put a 20 18 would be pushing it 16 would be better 14 it would be a good saw

The MS250 is a Home Owner Grade Chainsaw.

Me personally would not purchase a Home Owner Grade Chainsaw after everything that I have been threw with Chainsaws.

but that is just me.

I hope you get a good saw that will do what you need and last as long as you need it for.

Last edited by funshooter; 02/14/23.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (160user, 10ring1, 222ND, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,572
Posts18,531,929
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.