Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Slight gear change here, but it seems like a good place to ask,...

Does anyone have a suggestion on mail ordering chicks? My wife's aunt has done it quite a bit, but I never see or talk to her anymore.

I suspect that shopping the local TSC will be frustrating this spring, what with all the folks wanting to become chicken farmers this year.
Murray McMurray hatchery. They’re in PA?

Ordered from them a lot. We order through a local feed store and have had good luck.

One year we were turkey central for 4H kids. We had around 22 poults delivered in a group buy.

Re: chickens, we no longer keep layers. Too much cost and trouble the second winter.

We quit getting the filthy, freak-of-nature, Cornish cross meat birds. A long as we can get Freedom Rangers, wont go back.
I appreciate the information, Mike. I was just looking at McMurray's site.

I think I remember learnng abou Freedom Rangers from a post by you a year or 2 ago. Sounds like you had good luck with them. I agree with you about the Cornish Cross birds. My wife's aunt raised them and they were really are disgusting looking creatures, and I wasn't impressed with the meat, either. Always seemed tough and dry. Maybe they were butchered too late?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting article on mcmurray web site comparing cornishX and FR.

https://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2018/09/07/4-h-broiler-project-compares-two-top-broiler-breeds/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Does anyone have a suggestion on mail ordering chicks? My wife's aunt has done it quite a bit, but I never see or talk to her anymore.

I suspect that shopping the local TSC will be frustrating this spring, what with all the folks wanting to become chicken farmers this year.
Murray McMurray hatchery. They’re in PA?

Ordered from them a lot. We order through a local feed store and have had good luck.

One year we were turkey central for 4H kids. We had around 22 poults delivered in a group buy.

Re: chickens, we no longer keep layers. Too much cost and trouble the second winter.

We quit getting the filthy, freak-of-nature, Cornish cross meat birds. A long as we can get Freedom Rangers, wont go back.
I appreciate the information, Mike. I was just looking at McMurray's site.

I think I remember learnng abou Freedom Rangers from a post by you a year or 2 ago. Sounds like you had good luck with them. I agree with you about the Cornish Cross birds. My wife's aunt raised them and they were really are disgusting looking creatures, and I wasn't impressed with the meat, either. Always seemed tough and dry. Maybe they were butchered too late?
Hard to say. The Cornish grow fast, but had higher mortality from heart issues and leg issues. They only got up to walk from the feed to the water. FR act like real chickens, ranging for grass, weeds, bugs, etc. Also, I think we’ve only had 1 or 2 die before I caused it. wink I think they gave better flavor too.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I recently read some advice about supplementing chicken feed with cat food during winter. The explanation was that during winter there are no bugs, so the chickens diet is lacking protein. Adding 10% dry cat food to their mix was a relatively cheap and simple way to maintain that protein level and keep birds healthy, and egg production up.
That's interesting, because my next door neighbors are cat people (a whole pride of them outside, and three inside), and they occasionally (subtly) complain to me that my flock will sometimes make a visit to their feral cat feeding area and eat the food.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Besides, we dont want that little cumshot thing in our eggs
If eggs are collected within 24 hours of laying, there's no difference in appearance, taste, or smell between fertilized and unfertilized eggs.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don’t know what it is about cat food, but it’s the best way to get a pig to jump into a horse trailer to haul them to the fair. It’s like crack to them.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
have been thinking about starting in back yard a flock a problem how to keep in our yard not jumping the fence?
You just need to clip the flight feathers on a single wing. Don't do both wings. This way, they cannot get any thrust from flapping, and cannot get over the fence.

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Interesting article on mcmurray web site comparing cornishX and FR.

https://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2018/09/07/4-h-broiler-project-compares-two-top-broiler-breeds/

I don’t feed The Cornish 24/7 . 12 on 12 off . They will literally eat themselves to death. But 8 weeks and they are in the freezer.

The rangers I get early summer and they go out on pasture in chicken tractors. Makes better meat and save a lot on feed .

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently read some advice about supplementing chicken feed with cat food during winter. The explanation was that during winter there are no bugs, so the chickens diet is lacking protein. Adding 10% dry cat food to their mix was a relatively cheap and simple way to maintain that protein level and keep birds healthy, and egg production up.

I've heard about feeding them cat food when they're molting to bring the new feathers on quicker.
I haven't tried it yet, but may next season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meal worms and various animal fats mixed in their feed seems to work well. Today's haul so far, will probably get 2 or 3 more before dark:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Been averaging 10 per day all winter. 13 birds, 8 of which aren't quite a year old.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
IC B3

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Mealworms are great to use to train them too.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I wanted to deep fry that orpington in my turkey cooker but ended up just giving the whole batch away.

Don't do it!

We tried a big ass chicken in the turkey fryer.
Poor surface area to depth ratio.
It got nice and brown, was raw inside.
Lucky we temp checked, popped it in the oven to slowly finish. Was great.

There is a reason Fryer is a size for chickens.
It's the perfect mass/surface ratio for nice brown, cooked pieces.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Copper Marans, salmon faverolles, brown sex links, Americanas, olive eggers and a couple other assorted varieties. The brown sex links are great birds. They’re prolific layers, healthy and friendly. I’ll be getting several sexlinks and other assorted pullets soon to keep the flock fresh.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have a RIR, Cuckoo Maran. Australorp, Gold laced Wyandotte and a Blue Copper Maran. Our rooster is a Gold Sexlink.

The hens are a few years old and aren’t laying like they used to. My wife is gonna pick up a few new chicks in a week or two. She hasn’t decided what she wants yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffP
Mealworms are great to use to train them too.

Chicken crack! They love em!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Never a problem.
Never a problem on mail ordering chicks? Or, never a problem with TSC?

Mail order.

I am MAGA.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Todays rewards

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Inside setup

Last edited by earlybrd; 02/18/23.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 6 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.