Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Whether the above answers George's question is totally in doubt.

I really love my Minox 6.5X32s and I would really like to see a Leica Ultravid 6.5X32. Now that would be a total winner!!!!

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you were going to start over, with no decent glass at all in house, would you go with the 8x32 Ultravids as an "only" pair, or would you take something like the Minox 6.5x32s and team them up with something larger, like a set of 10x42s?

That a LRF/CRF would be in the mix, is a given.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Starting over from scratch, I would do a pair of 8X32 Ultravids and a CRF 1200.

Frankly, I cannot imagine any hunting scenarios I've faced throughout my long hunting career that this combination could not handle. Granted, the 8X would be a bit light for sheep and it might be slightly too much in the tight forest, but it is entirely adequate for both.

I will end my hunting career carrying my pair of Leica 8X32 Ultravids and a Leica CRF 1200.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I should add to the above that I have absolutely no use for 10-power binos and higher. In my opinion, that is where a great spotting scope, like the Leupold 12-40 comes in.

Steve

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Starting over from scratch, I would do a pair of 8X32 Ultravids and a CRF 1200.

Frankly, I cannot imagine any hunting scenarios I've faced throughout my long hunting career that this combination could not handle. Granted, the 8X would be a bit light for sheep and it might be slightly too much in the tight forest, but it is entirely adequate for both.

I will end my hunting career carrying my pair of Leica 8X32 Ultravids and a Leica CRF 1200.

Steve

Damn..... that's pretty high praise.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thank you Steve. That was worth many trips to the store or to the 'puter for facts & figures and hands-on comparisons. I trust your geminoligically (is that a word?) trained eyes implicitly. grin

I do have one question that no one has been able to answer me ('though I haven't asked Leica and I probably know the answer) and that is why are the 8- and the 10x42 BRFs both listed at the same size (6.9" high) and weight at 31.7 oz?

Well, I think you've presented a very logical and cogent argument sir and can rest your case; the jury will not be out long.

I would love to see a good 6x and am interested in your Minox; I have forgotten they had a pair. My 7x42 Swaro's are my primary bowhunting bino's but I actually think in relatively good cover and timber 6xs are about perfect. Who sells 'em?

Looks like I need to email Doug at C'land. Thanks again, Steve.

George

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Friend George,

I sort of equate the higher power binoculars with magnum cartridges; is enough is good, more is way better. grin

One of my guides in Alberta was very proud of his 16X binoculars (that rightfully belonged on the conning tower of a submarine). Frankly, I could not see diddle through them.

One day, Philip (my guide) asked if he could look through the binoculars I was using at the time, a lowly set of leica 8X32 Trinovids. His response was, "Holy Crap, I can SEEEEEEE."

Well, Yeah.

I find it totally strange that there are no 5-power, 5.5-power, 6-power and 6.5-power binoculars on the market. Linked to moderate sized objective lenses, they would be fabulous in the field.

Whey would not be glitzy, but they would be enormously useful.

Steve

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Generally speaking, I would agree and my eyes are trained for long distance outdoors observation; I find the 10x to be too much in most hunting situations, however, I am a serious naturalist with bio. and forestry training and for bird watching and some other nature study, they DO make a difference.

This is why I prefer the Trinovid 10x to the Ultravids, the extra weight helps hold them stable for long periods of intense use. So, as with most gear, it's "horses for courses" and personal comfort that really matters.

Incidently, probably the most experienced BC guide I have known uses an 8x bino and told me that he "can't use" a 10x; this is probably the case with a lot more people than will admit it, IMHO.

6x would be PERFECT for most searching for big game and a spotter is pretty much a given here in BC, due to complex resrictions on antler type and horn length. I also have a Leupy and it is a good piece of gear, I had a B&L which shattered on a rock in the Kootenays and have used the latest Swaro and Zeiss spotters. I then bought a Leica 62 armoured and it is a work of art, actually WORTH the substantial cost....as really GOOD optics are.

Thanks, DZ, as your precise rendition of actual experience with this bino has helped me decide that I should buy one as I had been sorta unsure due to cost and owning two fine binos now, this is the type of post here that really helps us all.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Friend Kutenay,

I'm glad to help. Actually, we can never have too much information or opinions from bushrats grin

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Kute-

Like almost everything else, the sine curve applies here with most people in the middle, liking or useing a certain product a certain way but there are some individual variation out around the edges of the curve where one likes or does something different than the rest.

I like the 10x when hunting the mtns.; I sit with my rifle butt on the ground between my legs, barrel straight up and position my 10x against the rifle barrel, one binoc barrel on either side of my rifle's. In this way I get a good stable platform for the binoc's which at 10x are for me just a little to much to use freehand. But I can look for hours this way....and well.

But,....it's the carrying part with the 10x Trinovids that I've grown tired of and I knew that when I shopped, compared, and bought them, that this snake might raise its head. I have no complaint optically, or for their bomb-proof construction other than it's heavy.

Now, I've pretty much decided that I've been convinced of the greater utility of an 8x32 Ultra and a stand-alone RF than the 10x Geo BRF.

Gdv

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, I can use them too and I am built to carry them, BUT, I am trying to really cut weight and am more used to 8x binos, anyway. I am finding that, at 61, it is very hard to do the 12 hour days of slogging the BC mountains as I have always done, so, am chopping weight wherever possible.

I have no interest in hunting other than backpack/horse/ wilderness hunting, actually just turned down an Alberta foray on one of the farms where they allow hunters for a trespass fee; it just ain't my style, but, I LOVE to hike-hunt the Kootenays, even if you often go 3-4 days between SEEING a deer or Elk...each to his own.

After checking out that Ultra 8-32, I was VERY impressed and am now convinced that, for many of us "young guys" it is the way to go as DZ has posted. Just wish they were a LITTLE less $$$$, but, I 'll save up and buy them in the spring, in time for Turkeys.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve, I use only a Leica 8x32 BR and 1200 LRF. I have a fixed 20X spotter for the rare occasions I need it. Dat's my "optics battery." For micromanaging a rams horns a higher X spotter is needed but since that's a rare hunt here the 20X is fine.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brad, I think I just got the last pre-cert'd, demo 8x32 Ultra from C'land and the discount on the Leica 1200 LRF to boot.

I'm blaming the 'campfire and stickin' to it.

Gdv

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hah!

Good on ya...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sweet - trust me you'll love it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been using the Swarovski 10X42 EL for many years and I have had good luck with them.
However, I have noticed(since the very first) that it takes two hands to hold them steady-as opposed to my 'cheapo' Zeiss Diafun 8X30s which only require one hand.
These 8X32 Ultras sound very nice indeed-and the weight, wow!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goodnews

Brad, I think I just got the last pre-cert'd, demo 8x32 Ultra from C'land and the discount on the Leica 1200 LRF to boot.

Gdv

Neah he still had a couple when I ordered mine today.

Steve thanks for the insight into these little jewels (8x32) I have never given that size bino much thought and you peeked my interest. I spent about an hour today at my local Sportsmans Warehouse comparing the 8x42 Ultravids, 8x42 Victory FL's, 8x42 Swaro EL's, and the only Big 3 8x32 they had which was the Swaro EL 8x32. Fell in love, not so much with the Swaro but with the big picture provided by the 8x32. I ordered up a pair of the demo 8x32 BR's from Doug and cant wait to get em. Thanks for the detailed info on your purchase, it cost me a bunch of coin! <grin>

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by goodnews

Gdv

Neah he still had a couple when I ordered mine today.

Steve thanks for the insight into these little jewels (8x32) I have never given that size bino much thought and you peeked my interest. I spent about an hour today at my local Sportsmans Warehouse comparing the 8x42 Ultravids, 8x42 Victory FL's, 8x42 Swaro EL's, and the only Big 3 8x32 they had which was the Swaro EL 8x32. Fell in love, not so much with the Swaro but with the big picture provided by the 8x32. I ordered up a pair of the demo 8x32 BR's from Doug and cant wait to get em. Thanks for the detailed info on your purchase, it cost me a bunch of coin! <grin>

Darn it, don't the little 8X32 Ultravids just burrow their way into your heart??? I'm SO glad to hear that you also love them and agree.

Please let us know what you think when your very own pair arrives from Doug. I'll bet that yours are as new as mine were.

Thanks for letting us know.

Steve

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now put those 8x32 Ultras on a bino harness and you are set with hands free climbing and general navigating thru the brush. I'll be interested in working with the CRF 1200 on my upcoming cow elk "field research".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

AlaskaCub-

I'm glad you latched on to one also; darn things must be reproducin' over there.

This 'campfire thing must be doing wonders for the shooting & hunting industry. I'm thinking we should all get personal invites to SHOT and newsletters from Remchestuger as well as being polled on what to bring out next.

Probably not.

Gdv

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,229
Posts18,524,760
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.