Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Made the toolbox in high school shop class back in the 1970s. STP stickers were strong than.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
They used to have these really bitchin oval shaped decals.
Had those stickers on our dash of our service trucks

It was a reminder to not be a goddamm lazy slug and get off your dead ass and sell some work.

STP
stop
Talk to people

Canvas a whole neighborhood, sell them something by God. Roofing, windows, attic ventilation, gutters, shutters, paint, a deck, a patio, a tree job, foundation visqueen, anything.

We had to get it jack!

Knocking doors builds character. No man that ever sat on his ass at a parts store was worth a fouck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Richard Petty had a lot to do with the STP sticker popularity.

[Linked Image from img.youtube.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
STP is not a Lubricant unless it's mixed with oil... So DON"T use it as a prelube as it can harden from friction and actually "Seize up" valve guides and such...... Got that from the late Joe Mondello , Who was an SAE board member (Society of Automotive engineers)... Use a specific engine assembly lube... It's cheap insurance... The Mostly stock appearing 403 Oldsmobile that Joe machined for me made 424 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels on a chassis dyno...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We used to say STP stood for Stop Teenage Pregnancy.

A good laugh for teenage boys in a more innocent time.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve rubbed down my freshly crosshatched cylinder walls half dozen different rebuilds I did never had any thing seize up. lol

Maybe I didn’t know what I was doing, I rebuilt several before I was 21 yrs old.

For real though, I guarantee you tomorrow that will not tell you that I’m a symphony conductor too.

Society of automotive engineers. laughing

Them the same asshats that make shît purposely hard to get to and work on???

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
STP is not a Lubricant unless it's mixed with oil... So DON"T use it as a prelube as it can harden from friction and actually "Seize up" valve guides and such...... Got that from the late Joe Mondello , Who was an SAE board member (Society of Automotive engineers)... Use a specific engine assembly lube... It's cheap insurance... The Mostly stock appearing 403 Oldsmobile that Joe machined for me made 424 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels on a chassis dyno...

My first car was a ‘77 Delta 88 with a 403 and a 400 turbo. Outran a ‘90 TransAm down the highway with it, then outran the cop who was after us on a curvy two lane we got off on to. That motor lasted to the 300,000 mile mark, and was a lot of fun the whole time I had it. Would love to have either that motor or a 455 out of an early 70’s GS again, maybe in a late 70’s TransAm or Delta 88.

And as to the crack mechanic using STP to lube main bearings, maybe he was more of a crackhead mechanic?

Last edited by APredator; 02/18/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
In the summer when its hot, some guys (me) mix it into the chain oil to make it thicker, works good.
The chain oil I get cheap is all season and don't make the thicker stuff.

This. I can't adjust the amount of oil coming out of the auto lube on my saw. I use either 90 wt gear oil or oil mixed with STP or the Walmart version of STP.

It's my understanding that the STP of old had no additives, it was just heavy oil. Now they put an additive pack in it. Friction modifiers I think it's called. But, if you have an engine that burns oil and you are not ready to overhaul it, STP will get you buy.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 673
In the summer when its hot, some guys (me) mix it into the chain oil to make it thicker, works good.

This. I can't adjust the amount of oil coming out of the auto lube on my saw. I use either 90 wt gear oil or oil mixed with STP or the Walmart version of STP.

It's my understanding that the STP of old had no additives, it was just heavy oil. Now they put an additive pack in it. Friction modifiers I think it's called. But, if you have an engine that burns oil and you are not ready to overhaul it, STP will get you buy.

kwg
Mobil Vactra #2 Way Oil...

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
STP is just an oil thickener. If you really need heavier weight oil get some.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by victoro
STP is just an oil thickener. If you really need heavier weight oil get some.

Yep, and ole Andy sure snookered the world with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slum: Google Joe Mondello... He was the Real Deal!... Several other respected engine builders warned me about STP also... Mostly about Coking (hardening) in valve guides... I was warned, So i didn't use it!... But to each his own and YMMV...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lycoming specifically calls it out ( mixed with 50 wt).as an assembly lube for their engines. I've used it for that.

I still keep it a little on hand to use when case forming

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 673

kwg
Are you sure you can't adjust your oiler? Never seen a saw, husky or stihl that cannot be adjusted.

Here, heavy chain oil is almost 20 bucks a gal, I get all season for 10 bucks, so it is economics to use an additive for me, but also it works better as it doesn't sling off the bar & chain in the heat. To replace a worn out bar is 140 bucks.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks good folks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lucas man here.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No Lucas made [bleep] that worked

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A lot of saws don't have adjustable oilers. Few have manual boost

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The engines that I have done, were all put together using Lucas Oil on the bearings, pistons and cam.
When I got everything ready, I filled them up 30 weight and hit the starter.
After 30k miles, I changed the oil, putting in Either Havelin or Valvoine 30 weight making the last 1/2 quart Lucas Oil.
Not to brag, but everything I built ran for a long time.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Use it? A crack mechanic used it to pre lube main, and rod bearings.

More like a “cracked” mechanic. You need more body in the lube of main bearings to get them turning with no heat or scoring…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.