Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WMR
Nice shotgun. I like the Nova. Very slick action. I agree that the triggers on the two I owned were not that good. I actually like them better than the 870. Most factory shotguns shoot high for me until I add a bit of length with a thicker recoil pad. A simple fix really. It moves my cheek down the comb a bit and solves the problem. The Benelli pad looks pretty thick already so maybe a spacer between the butt and the pad? I thought the Super Nova was adjustable with shims. If so. just add a bit more drop and you should be golden. I see folks talking about testing point of impact from a bench. Other than for a turkey gun I see no value in that at all. Mount the gun and smoothly and shoot it at an impact board or plate. 16 yards is the conventional distance, but anywhere around that should be fine. Wear safety glasses.

The bench shot is just to see where POI is vs. point of aim and is different from gun mount and gun fit, which is what your 16 yard test is about. A gun that shoots entirely above POI at 21 yards (100/0) is going to be difficult if not impossible to get to shoot to a 60/40 pattern at 40 yards, or so it seems to me, shims or no shims. I agree 16 yards is a more conventional distance and I don't know why Benelli used 21 in the tests I read about.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Mind you, I have no personal experience with the SBE. But there are a lot of folks out there who do and are reporting the same issue.
Dual beads I assume?

If so are you making a figure 8 out of them or lining them up, trying to block front bead with the mid rib bead?

Again, no personal experience. But I believe what I've read was that the shots were aimed right down the rib. Do a search on "Benelli SBE shooting high". There seem to be issues in the horizontal plane as well. None of this makes any difference to me, I have no dog in the fight, just relaying what I've seen reported.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WMR
Nice shotgun. I like the Nova. Very slick action. I agree that the triggers on the two I owned were not that good. I actually like them better than the 870. Most factory shotguns shoot high for me until I add a bit of length with a thicker recoil pad. A simple fix really. It moves my cheek down the comb a bit and solves the problem. The Benelli pad looks pretty thick already so maybe a spacer between the butt and the pad? I thought the Super Nova was adjustable with shims. If so. just add a bit more drop and you should be golden. I see folks talking about testing point of impact from a bench. Other than for a turkey gun I see no value in that at all. Mount the gun and smoothly and shoot it at an impact board or plate. 16 yards is the conventional distance, but anywhere around that should be fine. Wear safety glasses.

The bench shot is just to see where POI is vs. point of aim and is different from gun mount and gun fit, which is what your 16 yard test is about. A gun that shoots entirely above POI at 21 yards (100/0) is going to be difficult if not impossible to get to shoot to a 60/40 pattern at 40 yards, or so it seems to me, shims or no shims. I agree 16 yards is a more conventional distance and I don't know why Benelli used 21 in the tests I read about.
Mind you, I have no personal experience with the SBE. But there are a lot of folks out there who do and are reporting the same issue.
Dual beads I assume?

If so are you making a figure 8 out of them or lining them up, trying to block front bead with the mid rib bead?

Again, no personal experience. But I believe what I've read was that the shots were aimed right down the rib. Do a search on "Benelli SBE shooting high". There seem to be issues in the horizontal plane as well. None of this makes any difference to me, I have no dog in the fight, just relaying what I've seen reported.

I'm not picking any fights. My wife's SBE points well for me and is easy to shoot. My old Benelli M1 Super 90 had a similar rib/stock setup and was flippin' deadly! I expected Fish & Wildlife to outlaw it any day! Killed more birds than Colonel Sanders ;-)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All good. I just meant I don't own a SBE, don't intend to get one, and have no stake in whether the reports on them shooting too high are true or not. Glad you've got ones you like, apparently there are a lot of other folks that also like them.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WMR

Dual beads I assume?

Got it.

Most of these people either aren't using dual beads correctly or don't realize shims are sent with a gun to adjust POI issues. They are essentially adjusting the rear sight so to speak.

My Gold was probably 30% too far right at 40 yards. Quite a few said too much for shims to fix. The factory shims I ordered brought horizontal back perfect and kept vertical 6-8" high at 40 with my best patterning turkey loads.

Same as you, no skin in the game but you wonder about some of the complaints.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You couldn't run fast enough to GIVE me that plastic butt ugly benelli.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (264mag, 3333vl, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 320090T, 21 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,781
Posts18,536,100
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.