Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by vmax204
I would take a Parker Hale, BSA, Zastava, Mark X, Husqvarna, or just about any used European commercial Mauser over any new buget rifle made in the US. For the same price you will get all wood and steel construction. No plastic. A rifle that will last generations if properly cared for.

Good post. I almost bought a Husqvarna 270 2 weeks ago. It was a sweet rifle, but after inspecting it closer, I noticed it had a crack in the stock behind the tang. I was really disappointed!!! Also, a lot of guys don't even know what a BSA rifle is, but I've had a few and they are all great shooters. I'm down to one now, chambered in 308 Norma magnum. BSA sporterized/built it from an M1917 military rifle. One of my favorites.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by JPro
This is the time of year to hit the used rifle racks at pawn shops and gun stores. Iā€™m not afraid of a decent used SS bolt gun at a fair price. Make mine a 700, 1500/Vanguard, 77, or American, depending on chambering and price.
This. It's amazing how many guys buy a rifle to kill a deer then need the money and dump it right back on the used rack. The 6-8 weeks after deer season are prime time.

Added: HA! Posted before reading John's above. Must be great minds... šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‡

I've always hit the used rifle racks. Just got to know what you are looking at:
Here's ONE of my recent economical rifle purchase. Well if you consider $360-$380 for the rifle economical:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It's a shooting SOB too.

Remember when 788's were Remington's economical line of rifles? Took this one home recently:
Came with a bunch of reloading components, die sets, etc. Plenty of great deals out there. Just have to know where and how to look for them.

How about this one for "economical":

In damn near perfect condition. Set up with a Lyman rear aperture sight and ivory front bead. Very nice rifle for the price:
I'd take that old mauser any day of the week over a damn Howa, RAR, TC Compass etc. etc. There is a difference between "economical" and a piece of schidt in a plastic stock..
I'll take the Mauser off your hands for what you paid?! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‡

Ha ha.. It's a sweetheart rifle. I guess I shouldn't call it an "economy" rifle, just because I got it for cheap. I looked them up, before I bought it, to see what they are selling for and was shocked. Nearly $1,000.00!!!

I believe back in the day, they were an economy rifle though, if you read this article, I also bought after getting the rifle:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would take a Parker Hale, BSA, Zastava, Mark X, Husqvarna, or just about any used European commercial Mauser over any new buget rifle made in the US. For the same price you will get all wood and steel construction. No plastic. A rifle that will last generations if properly cared for.

Good post. I almost bought a Husqvarna 270 2 weeks ago. It was a sweet rifle, but after inspecting it closer, I noticed it had a crack in the stock behind the tang. I was really disappointed!!! Also, a lot of guys don't even know what a BSA rifle is, but I've had a few and they are all great shooters. I'm down to one now, chambered in 308 Norma magnum. BSA sporterized/built it from an M1917 military rifle. One of my favorites.

Was it a 1640? Something about that stock design seems to make that happen a lot. All my Huskies get the rear tang bedded with relief (two layers of bedding tape) from the wood because I'm paranoid about damage and replacement stocks are nearly impossible to source now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hardluck
TC Venture or Marlin XL rifles.

Great rifles. I place them in the same category as the Stevens 200:

Exceptional rifles for the money. I didn't like that gray stock they put on them, so swapped it out with a Savage trophy hunter (also another great rifle for the money) stock with DBM. That rifle was one of my favorite sleepers.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Was it a 1640? Something about that stock design seems to make that happen a lot. All my Huskies get the rear tang bedded with relief (two layers of bedding tape) from the wood because I'm paranoid about damage and replacement stocks are nearly impossible to source now.

I hear you. I left plenty of clearance at the tang on my new Mauser pictured above, as well. Don't want to crack that beautiful stock!!! As for the Husky, no it was not a 1640. I stopped looking at it, after I saw the crack. I hear you about stocks being hard to find. I probably would have just put it in a ramline or something.. But then it takes away from the beauty of a nice walnut stock.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by bwinters
Not sure I'm seeing that but refining one's thought process after considering 4 pages of input is somehow a bad thing?

Me thinks you miss the value of soliciting thoughts/opinions from the Campfire.......
No, your first post is 3 days old.
But you been looking at a Kimber for 6+ months. And mention it after pages of suggestions.

Fair enough. I thought you were referring to me adding a few uses.

I'd greatly prefer a Kimber Hunter but given they don't seem to be in any hurry to make more, thought I'd explore cheaper options.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Handled a Ruger American a little bit ago. I wasn't bad at all. The stock do feel cheap but it fit pretty well. Also handled a Salvage Axis - pass. I have smallish hands and the pistol grip was modeled for a 10 year old girl.

Off to Buds Gunshop and Smoky Mtn Guns tomorrow to handle a Mossberg and maybe see one of the newer Remingtons.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MM - good feedback - thanks for the info.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
Not sure I'm seeing that but refining one's thought process after considering 4 pages of input is somehow a bad thing?

Me thinks you miss the value of soliciting thoughts/opinions from the Campfire.......
No, your first post is 3 days old.
But you been looking at a Kimber for 6+ months. And mention it after pages of suggestions.

Fair enough. I thought you were referring to me adding a few uses.

I'd greatly prefer a Kimber Hunter but given they don't seem to be in any hurry to make more, thought I'd explore cheaper options.
There are a couple marlins on classifieds.
Think one was a stainless 7-08 for $550.
I have a hunter and few tikkas. Tikka hands down and I think the new 243 comes 1:8 twist

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Not just the 1640s. Nonetheless, I am a total fan of the commercial Mauser action rifles. Now that everyone seems to have a delusional woody for 700s, etc., the 98 variants tend to be a stone bargain.

IC B3

J
J
Ruger American 308 bedded in a Boydā€™s stock.
Howa 1500 6.5 creed in a Bell and Carlson.
Both shoot MOA or better with factory ammo.

If I had to pick sub $500 guns off the used rack for the rest of my life, they would be Howaā€™s.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had and shot several Ruger American's. I do like the Predator version and all have shot way better than a cheap rifle should. But I've had magazine troubles with the standard 4 round magazines. Both the original rotary version and the newer 4 round stagger feed version. If you get a short action the 3 round straight feed mag made for 450 BM will feed any of the short action 308 class cartridges much better. The versions that use AI style magazines or the 223's that take AR magazines work well too.

But those have priced themselves out of my interest level. I paid $350 each for the Predators I owned. I've seen the standard rifle sell for $200. Today the Predator is $500+. At that price point I'll pay $100 more and get a blue Tikka. Everyone wants a $750 SS Tikka, and I do like them better. But the Ruger's aren't SS, and the blue Tikka's aren't that much more than Ruger anymore.

The Mossberg looks good, but knowing the rifles history I just can't bring myself to buy one. They were originally made by the now defunct Raptor rifle company as the cheapest bolt rifle you could buy in the 1990's. The company quickly failed. Charter Arms bought the rights to the design and made the rifle briefly before giving up on it. Finally, Mossberg bought the rights to the design. Mossberg did a better job with QC, and they have expanded the features. But it is still the same basic design that failed twice before.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had and shot several Ruger American's. I do like the Predator version and all have shot way better than a cheap rifle should. But I've had magazine troubles with the standard 4 round magazines. Both the original rotary version and the newer 4 round stagger feed version. If you get a short action the 3 round straight feed mag made for 450 BM will feed any of the short action 308 class cartridges much better. The versions that use AI style magazines or the 223's that take AR magazines work well too.

But those have priced themselves out of my interest level. I paid $350 each for the Predators I owned. I've seen the standard rifle sell for $200. Today the Predator is $500+. At that price point I'll pay $100 more and get a blue Tikka. Everyone wants a $750 SS Tikka, and I do like them better. But the Ruger's aren't SS, and the blue Tikka's aren't that much more than Ruger anymore.

The Mossberg looks good, but knowing the rifles history I just can't bring myself to buy one. They were originally made by the now defunct Raptor rifle company as the cheapest bolt rifle you could buy in the 1990's. The company quickly failed. Charter Arms bought the rights to the design and made the rifle briefly before giving up on it. Finally, Mossberg bought the rights to the design. Mossberg did a better job with QC, and they have expanded the features. But it is still the same basic design that failed twice before.

And the design has seriously injured several people when the bolt lugs did not go into battery and the bolt came back into their face when they fired.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Get a tikka or a Vanguard s2.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Itā€™s hard to whoop those Brownell Howa barreled actions. That a a cheap take off stock and youā€™re into them for very little money and theyā€™re solid rifles.

I have them in a 6 Creed and 6 ARC. To me, I like them more than anything Remington but Iā€™m weird like that. Theyā€™re straight and have good triggers and 3 POS safeties. family.

My 6 Creed is one of the cheapest rifles I put together. It isn't super heavy, it was weighing around 7.5 lbs with Alpine stock and 4-12X40 Redfield Revolution. It's at my GS right now getting shortened and threaded for my suppressor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J - good info. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by beretzs
Itā€™s hard to whoop those Brownell Howa barreled actions. That a a cheap take off stock and youā€™re into them for very little money and theyā€™re solid rifles.

I have them in a 6 Creed and 6 ARC. To me, I like them more than anything Remington but Iā€™m weird like that. Theyā€™re straight and have good triggers and 3 POS safeties. family.

My 6 Creed is one of the cheapest rifles I put together. It isn't super heavy, it was weighing around 7.5 lbs with Alpine stock and 4-12X40 Redfield Revolution. It's at my GS right now getting shortened and threaded for my suppressor.

Nice looking rifle! Where did you find the Alpine stock?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice looking rifle! Where did you find the Alpine stock?

Bought 2 off the classifieds here and found one on eBay, all sold too cheaply IMO. I made a faux Alpine .308 with a Sportsman's Kuiu rifle for $499 for my daughter. Then my buddy got the last one for his Howa .223 rifle.

Daughter's faux Alpine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Congrats to the lady!

Dave

ļæ½The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.ļæ½ Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
That was 5 years ago when she was 15, but still makes me proud. She learned a valuable lesson that day. Her first shot wasn't great at first light, but she spent 8 hours and 5 miles of tracking to finish the job. He was a smart buck and was hard to track, and she felt horrible for not making a good first shot. It was a big relief for her when she was able to anchor him.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,974
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.