Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
David
I have a 89 BGR in .280 Rem that I have never shot. It is just too nice for me to carry around. I was going to list it in the classifieds if you want to take a look.
I have 4 Montana’s and an Open Country that I shoot and carry all the time. No problem with any of them.
Just let me know and I’ll be happy to meet you somewhere in the area.
Thanks
Dave

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tdd4570
David
I have a 89 BGR in .280 Rem that I have never shot. It is just too nice for me to carry around. I was going to list it in the classifieds if you want to take a look.
I have 4 Montana’s and an Open Country that I shoot and carry all the time. No problem with any of them.
Thanks
Dave

That sounds like a sweetheart.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve always wanted one, my 70th birthday is soon, might get wifey to buy me one. Select grade, don’t know anything about Kimbers??

As you can see there are those that love the Kimber, and those that hate them.

Put me deeply in the latter category...I wouldn't have one if it was free.

What kind of problems did you have?

I worked in the LGS for a long time.Without exception EVERY SINGLE Kimber rifle we sold had to be returned to Kimber. Pick a problem...any problem. Kimber also offered us a 50% off any model Pro form...no one ordered one. We quit carrying them.

I imagine you can understand why this is hard to believe since a lot of guys posted on having multiples and never a problem.

100% failure rate at one lgs would make me question if maybe it's just the clientele.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve had two Kimber 84M rifles. A classic and a montana, both in 308. Both shot and carried well and didn’t have any issues with function. I have a couple friends that always drooled over them, so I sold them. They still use them with no issues.

However, I did go Tikka when I wanted a 223.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am happy with the 7-08 and .325 WSM Classics I own. Never had the first issue with either one. Only owned their rifles, two Clacks (82 classics) and three of the Yonkers rifles. Never had any interest in the their handguns.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kimber focuses heavily on form at the expense of function.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by tdd4570
David
Thanks
Dave

That sounds like a sweetheart.

It is, Dave sent me some pics, gave me a good price, gonna meet up with him next week, never owned a 280.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Dre
I only have the hunter. Bought if for my boy.
It had to go back to kimber to get the chamber polished as it would scratch the brass and the chamber is very tight. To where I had to get small base dies to reload for it.
Kimber told me they doesn’t recommend to use re loads, only premium factory ammo.
Won’t lie, left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't know of any mfg that would recommend reloads over factory ammo.

I don’t know any of my guns that are so picky when it comes to brass as this thing. What about the fact it had to go back in even before I ever shot it just to be told It’s in spec and not to use reloads.
You re load ?

Yes I do for my Kimber. And the head stamp doesn't match the barrel marking either. Zero issues.

Again, I know of no mfg that would recommend reloads. Regardless of how good/bad the rifle shoots with/without them. Which is all I said.

I'm 46 years old, started hunting when I was about 6. Of all the guns I've owned, my dad has owned, brother has owned a grand total of 1 gun has ever been "sent back". A Browning 425 whose wrist cracked. Browning replaced the wood and it shot 10's of thousands of rounds after. 1 gun out of 100+?

I'm generally not that "lucky" in life.

Me

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
How many Kimber 89 BGR rifles were manufactured??

Last edited by hanco; 02/25/23.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Had a 325 WSM Montana that shot half inch groups with factory ammo and a 300 WSM 8400 classic that also shoots factory ammo in half inch groups at a hundred yards. Sold the 325 to my brother who fell in love with it. still have the 300 and love the thing.

IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hanco
How many Kimber 89 BGR rifles were manufactured??

Ran across an article that claims 5000 were made, includes all models, all grades.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My .30-06
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
With half an antelope worth of quarters in the pack

My Roberts

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The M89's were beautiful rifles. I have owned a couple, and had no issues with them. They are a lot like a M70 Supergrade, and weight is around 8lbs.

They are quite a bit different than the current 84M and 84L.

The 84M Classics are about 5lbs 10oz, and the 84L Classics are about 6lbs 2oz.

If I'd never had a 280, that might push me to the M89 since I don't walk miles while hunting.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 02/25/23.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m 12 for 12 on Kimbers (Montanas, Mountain Ascents, Adirondack & Classics) - not a single one with any problems. I still own most of them and wouldn’t hesitate to add another.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One issue with one of the earliest production runs of the Montana 325 WSMs. The feed ramp was cut at the wrong angle. The rifle shot so well, before I had it fixed I bought another of later production. It had/has no issues. No issues with my wife's 7mm-08 or 338 Winchester either. We still have all 4 and no plans to part with them.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I just sold the only one I ever had. It was a mid-2000s Montana 325. No real complaints. It could have feeding issues, but it wasn’t what I’d call chronic. It did its job, it was light and tough.

I can’t speak for other Kimbers, but the Montanas are workhorses. They can be very solid guns. Don’t expect custom quality fit and finish and you should be happy. I think you’d only ever be disappointed if you expected something incredible from it when that’s not what it’s suppose to be. It’s more of a Chevrolet that gets unfairly measured against Ferraris.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an 84-M 308 Winchester.
This is a very nice-looking rifle, and it shoots great too.

It's the only Kimber I've ever had my hands on.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have a problem with occasional flyers, but it otherwise shoots great, rather than chase your tail for, oh, over a decade 😂 put some sharpie on the end of the front action screw, run it in fully tight, take it back out and make double-damn sure it’s not contacting the barrel shank. If the sharpie is marred, it it contacting. Shorten it if it is.

I am a tinkerer by nature so I have a well-slapped forehead. smile Anyone who actually “does” things, occasionally does STUPID things <grin>. My forehead is still stinging from not checking this many years ago. I used up at least half the life of a very good Pac Nor 7 WSM rebarrel chasing ghosts caused by this. D’oh!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
A
I have had 7 Kimbers all shot good after i learned how to shoot them from the bench. They do have thin barrels that heat up quickly. Fire 3 shots and let them cool. Also at the bench make sure you hold done the forearm. If you just let it set like a heavy barrel groups will go all over the place. I had a 257 Roberts select classic the after I held it down it would shot 3 shots almost touching. Sold it because the stock was to nice to be bouncing around a truck or utv coyote hunting. Still have 2 Montana's 22-250 and a 257 Roberts if I do my part they take a coyote every time. Had a Model 7 Remington that had a thin barrel and no matter what i did would not group. Changed the stock to H-S Precision, bedded the action, still wouldn't shoot. My vote is for Kimbers

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought 6

I own 2

Nay

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.