Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If so, one of mine is in the Nov. issue of an E-zine called Crimson Highway. I'd like to know what what you all think. (Not "G" rated, but no explicit violence, gore, or sex either.)

www.crimsonhighway.com

Also sold another tale to an anthology called "Desolate Places". It'll hit the shelves and Amazon early next year. The Ball is rolling!

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try some of the collected short stories of Jack London. Some of my favorite reads.

Kevin Haile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read your short story "Good Guys". While it definitely isn't my cup of tea so to speak, it was very well written and it certainly kept my attention. Nice job. I wish you well in your literary venture.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Very well written. I liked it.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gotta love Jack London.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. It's "Good Boys" though. One of my darker moods influenced the story. Not my usual thing either, but hey, as long as an editor liked it... grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My apologies for butchering the name. Not sure how I did that as I had just read the story before posting.

Shaun, for what it's worth, I was thinking of how I could have forgotten the story title in such a short amount of time and came to realize that I remember the story very well. Not word for word mind you but I can still picture the story in my head as it unfolded. In other words, you done good.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate the compliments. Nothing like praise to keep one banging away.

What do you say you send me some of that Shiner Bock to show how well I did? grin Can't get that stuff around here.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
By the way, This story can still be viewed at the link above. Just click "archives". It is listed under "November 2007".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shiner can be had here but not at just any old corner store, ya hafta find it. When I first started trying to find it locally I had to ask the store to order it for me. Then you hafta pay for it! Sometimes I almost regret stepping out and trying something different.

Nail

Last edited by Nail; 03/29/08.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I hear ya.

I'm still trying to get one store to order Lawson Creek Cream Stout. Can't get a MN beer in WI. Used to buy it all the time in NM.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

A friend has been divesting herself of her life-long library collection, a lot of Anthropological works, but also a lot of great literary stuff.

I found one book, which she gave me, (along with scores of others), that is entitled:

~ ~ ~ ~ O. HENRY MEMORIAL AWARD ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ PRIZE STORIES ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ OF 1924~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ Chosen By The Society Of Arts And Sciences ~

This is not Hi-Brow literature at all- these are all earthy, then contemporary, introspective, and well written dramas.

There are 15 prize short stories in this 1924 Volume, and so far I have only read one. These are award winning stories that were published in popular magazines of that year, such as:

The Saturday Evening Post, Harper's, Forum, Argosy All-Story, Women's Home Companion, Scribner's, McCall's, Century, American Mercury, Red Book, Collier's, and Atlantic Monthly.

The story I have read, "The Secret At The Crossroads" by Jefferson Mosley (From Forum)- is set in the "Old" Deep South by the author who well knew what he was depicting- even though the work is of fiction.

By today's standards much of this story would be deemed stereotypical, and prejudiced- but considering those "times" that the author was living and writing in- you find an almost revolutionary boldness with up-lifting compassion and respect for an impoverished and oppressed Black race- that perhaps too few held in that era.

I'm saving the rest of these stories for the summer weekends I will be spending in an old house near a small Minnesota town that was in my wife's family for generations. Often I am alone there ... 'cept maybe for a dog, and always a gun.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cool find.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Published another story in the July issue of Crimson Highway, it is called Muerte and will appear beginning on the first. Completely different from the last one. I hope you'll all like it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I look forward to checking it out.

Nail

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I checked out "Muerte" on the Crimson Highway site. As Shaun stated, it is completely different from "Good Boys". It is a nice read and should be very popular among the campfire faithful. If you want to know any more just go check it out.

Nail

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Glad you liked it. Thanks for the good review.

As an aside, I just got an e-mail requesting re-formatted manuscripts (e-mail attachments) of the stories from Crimson Highway and notifying me that a contract is on the way. It seems they'll be publishing a print anthology of works from the e-zine sometime this fall. cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bump for those who may be missing out.

Nail

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks!

Lots of views, but no comments.

Rough crowd. grin

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Read some of the works of Edgar Allen Poe. His rich and engaging language should entertain you.

Charles Fackler

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's another.

www.ropeandwire.com

Click on: "Short Stories/Tall Tales".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shaun,just read my first by you,won't be the last, VERY good,thank you! Dave

DC Miller
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just read " Muerte " Good reading, Thanks! Like the Indian stories,moreDat! Dave.

DC Miller
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cool!

Glad you liked the stories. Besides "Muerte", CH features another of mine in the NOV. '07 archive.

Here's another, just published. This issue isn't actually out yet, but I can give you a sneak peek.

http://www.liquid-imagination.com/ShaunRyan.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.