Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd be the jackass running something like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Like the little black kid that ran home all excited about winning a turkey. He said to momma, whoever had the longest peter wins the turkey. Momma said, boy I don't want you pulling out all your peter to win a turkey. Little boy says to momma. I didn't, I didn't. I only pulled out just enough to win it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
1917...A few jackasses like you have stolen turkeys and hams from my poor malnourished children. Grin. 'Sleepers' we call them, it looks like a hunting rifle, but it shoots like a heavy varmint class.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s been a lot of years ago . I owned two 40x Remingtons. One in 223 , the other in 6-47. The 6mm became popular over the famous 222 and 223 because it was supposed to Buck the wind a little better.
Low recoiling guns became famous for just that reason. A lot of shooting and recoil punishes you.
For what you are taking about I would consider the 308. Very accurate and great for distance you are talking about.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run the ballistics, do believe you will find that a 773000 and a 523400 are dead nuts together out to 260 yards. At 300 the 77 has 2.68 inches more drop but 2.1 inches less drift than the 52 so it’s pretty much a wash as you can deal with more drop or with more drift on the 52. Personally with flags out it’s just as easy to deal with windage as it is elevation. So where’s the definite advantage?

I ran the numbers you provided thru JBM and the difference in wind drift at 10mph full value was 4 inches. I'd take 4 inches less wind at 300 every day. Bullet drop on a KD range is a known and constant variable. Wind drift is not. Miss a reversal, pick the wrong indicator and your 52's group is now 8 inches wider than the 77's.

Last edited by ChrisF; 02/26/23.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How about a 77 out of a quick twist 22-250?

Less time of flight for even less drift?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B2

C
cs2blue Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I do have a 308 but it would fall into the unlimited class due to weight. A lot of guys shoot that class and wait time for a bench can be a issue. The sporter class is the least popular and has little to no wait times to shoot. That's why I am leaning toward the sporter/ hunting rifle class.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Heck, use your favorite deer rifle. Can't help but get better with it and it is supposed to be fun.

C
cs2blue Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, fun is goal but, there are people who can and will ruin a fun shoot!

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
They can only ruin your good time if you let them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OGB
Heck, use your favorite deer rifle. Can't help but get better with it and it is supposed to be fun.
Thems wise words!

Last edited by ChrisF; 02/26/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OGB

X2.

Depends on what you already have I suppose. If you have something that'll work go do a couple and make sure you're enjoying it first. Also after a few shoots you'll have a better idea of what you want/need and can make a better informed decision.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
For a factory gun, Savage 6BR. If you can customize a little bit 6 dasher or 6AI One of the old Sako 6 ppc would be great. Depends on the particular rules. I am a match director for benchrest matches here locally. The 6mm usually come out on top at 300 yards. Practice and reload your own if you can

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Originally Posted by OGB

X2.

Depends on what you already have I suppose. If you have something that'll work go do a couple and make sure you're enjoying it first. Also after a few shoots you'll have a better idea of what you want/need and can make a better informed decision.

-Jake

This makes sense. Plus you might be surprised how helpful your competitors can be. I've only shot one comp. IDPA. Got some good pointers. Even saw a guy race to his car to get his spare pistol for a competitor who's gun puked.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
1917...A few jackasses like you have stolen turkeys and hams from my poor malnourished children. Grin. 'Sleepers' we call them, it looks like a hunting rifle, but it shoots like a heavy varmint class.

Shhhhh. You aren't supposed to tell anyone..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OGB

Exactly^^^^

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by KirkJ
For a factory gun, Savage 6BR. If you can customize a little bit 6 dasher or 6AI One of the old Sako 6 ppc would be great. Depends on the particular rules. I am a match director for benchrest matches here locally. The 6mm usually come out on top at 300 yards. Practice and reload your own if you can
just getting ready to say this exact same thing..

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I looked at a Savage 6mmBR for the same reason as the OP but the club had a higher weight limit at around 13 lbs if I remember correctly. I could only find the Savage 6mmBR that tipped the scales around 12 lbs. You were not allowed to change stocks or cut the barrel, it had to be factory except for the trigger. It would never make weight when adding the scope and mount to it.
With the OP weight limit at 10.5 lbs, unless they allow you to chop the barrel and change stocks, I don't think the Savage will work, unless there is another model I did not see.

Last edited by pullit; 02/28/23.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KirkJ
The winners of VFS (Varmint for Score) matches at my club all use 6mm Somethings too.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Annie Oakley would be comfortable with a 10/22.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OGB
How about a 77 out of a quick twist 22-250?

Less time of flight for even less drift?
I like this.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.