Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Buddy is looking to upgrade his hunting binoculars. Right now he has “Brunton” binocs. His budget is “something under 600”. With that kind of budget, what would you recommend? Something light enough to carry around, whitetail hunting. Not something tiny but no “big eyes” or 12 zoom, etc.
What day you? Thanks for the feedback.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here’s an idea

Go to a sporting goods store and look through binos priced under $600 then decide for himself

🤷🏿‍♂️

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Can’t imagine, with the lighting and distance involved, “looking through them” in a sporting goods store, offerers much useful info when comparing between brands and models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Can’t imagine, with the lighting and distance involved, “looking through them” in a sporting goods store, offerers much useful info when comparing between brands and models.

Most let you take them outside

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tract 10x42, maybe even the 8. Terrain pending

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tract

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Today is a great day as it's the last day of our President's Week Sale
Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You shopping for him tells him even less. My eyes are most likely different and my ergonomic preferences too. I shopped and found what I liked by doing what rcamuglia suggested.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd see if Doug could set him up with a German Precision Optics Passion ED 8x42.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
I'd see if Doug could set him up with a German Precision Optics Passion ED 8x42.

Timing is perfect, we have an open box, same as new one for only $449.99

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

RBH-
There's your sign. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ihave been using Luepold Wind River Opticfor quite some time cost me 700.

These are alot better. The compacts are too

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0134-88cf-00163e9110c0?variation=1355236

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

RBH-
There's your sign. wink

Whatever you say Bill! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dre
Tract 10x42, maybe even the 8. Terrain pending

This^^

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If Doug can’t fix him up with something, have a look at that other thread about the best bag for the buck posted earlier. About all you can tell looking through binos in a sporting goods store is a binos ergonomics. Those places are so well lit that near anything will show up well. Kind of like seeing your wife’s diamond in a jewelers case. Take it home and you’ll wonder where the sparkle went.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually the Vortex Viper 10x42's are very good and well within your price range.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy is looking to upgrade his hunting binoculars. Right now he has “Brunton” binocs. His budget is “something under 600”. With that kind of budget, what would you recommend? Something light enough to carry around, whitetail hunting. Not something tiny but no “big eyes” or 12 zoom, etc.
What day you? Thanks for the feedback.

I know John B. mentioned the Burris Signature as better than their cost and something he was very high on. Under $400

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Used pair of kowa genesis 8x33? Demo?
Call Doug …

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure I'll get dog-piled for this recommendation, but I'm going to do it anyway.
I'm not a Nikon fan AT ALL, but I gotta tell ya, I have two sets of $250 ProStaff 7S 10-42 binos that are every bit as clear as my $1,000+ Zeiss units.
Every time someone comes over (I have 160 acres) I have them do a comparison as well, and everyone has agreed. I have plenty of other chitty binos, but the Zeiss and Nikon 7S are plenty good for me.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 02/27/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Windfall posted this on a Thread I started. "The Celestron TrailSeeker ED at $380. was the #1 rated mid-range binocular in a recent birder site where they rated 15 different binos up to the $640. Vortex Viper. That Vortex was rated at #4. Birders are pretty particular about their binoculars." So I looked into them and they were better than the Vortex Razors 10x42 and another bird site rated them #2 under the Athlon OpticsMidas G2 10x42 UHD Binoculars. I choise the Celestron TrailSeeker ED because they are $259.00 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Tr...7&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0137-81c4-00163ecd2826?variation=2075643

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Actually, looking through binoculars inside tends to provide a better test, especially during daylight hours. But if you look into the dimmest parts inside the store, which are generally above you in the bigger stores which stock enough variety of optics to provide a comparison--especially back in the far corners....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Actually, looking through binoculars inside tends to provide a better test, especially during daylight hours. But if you look into the dimmest parts inside the store, which are generally above you in the bigger stores which stock enough variety of optics to provide a comparison--especially back in the far corners....

Cabela's has items tucked in dark corners just for the purpose of testing binoculars, at least the Lehi, Utah store does.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you would pardon the self promotion - I have a pair of Kahles 8x32 that I am about to sell , hard to find a higher quality product....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Spend a bit more and go Kowa Genesis 8x33

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For those considering the Celestron TrailSeeker - since 2005 Celestron has been owned by an American subsidiary of Synta Optics, one of the world’s largest optics manufacturers from Suzhou in China.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would check out the Maven C1 option. My son has a pair and I am impressed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Check under the couch cushions and come up with $300.00 more and buy those 8x32 Swarovski ELs in the classifieds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
There's a Cabelas Euro HD (Meopta Meostar HD) 10x42 on Rockslide for $550. I'd be on that like lardasss on John Burns.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought the Steiner Predator AF 10-42 last year and have been very impressed with them. They were around $400.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just got in some used Leicas

Trinovid 8x42 HD

Trinovid 8x32 BA and a Trinovid 8x32 BN

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Trinovid 8x42 HD binos a darn skookum!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tract toric 10x42 or 12x50 uhd.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
Windfall posted this on a Thread I started. "The Celestron TrailSeeker ED at $380. was the #1 rated mid-range binocular in a recent birder site where they rated 15 different binos up to the $640. Vortex Viper. That Vortex was rated at #4. Birders are pretty particular about their binoculars." So I looked into them and they were better than the Vortex Razors 10x42 and another bird site rated them #2 under the Athlon OpticsMidas G2 10x42 UHD Binoculars. I choise the Celestron TrailSeeker ED because they are $259.00 right now.

I picked them up to try out partly on advice & the review referenced, and I think this post.

IME these hit way about their price point.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It doesn't get any easier then calling Doug or Neil

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

I picked them up to try out partly on advice & the review referenced, and I think this post.

"Birder sites" and other reviewers get paid to give products more favorable reviews, fyi.

Doesn't mean the product isn't good, nor bad, but published reviews are rarely "unbiased."

In my business we often pay $30k, and more; up to over six-figures, for industry shills to give favorable, unbiased, reviews. wink

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

"Birder sites" and other reviewers get paid to give products more favorable reviews, fyi.

Doesn't mean the product isn't good, nor bad, but published reviews are rarely "unbiased."

In my business we often pay $30k, and more; up to over six-figures, for industry shills to give favorable, unbiased, reviews. wink

Just an FYI, I identify as an industrial shill. 😂😂😂

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Used Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Depends on how old they are, and not just due to use. There are new $400 binoculars today that beat some of the older "alphas." I know this due to having owned a bunch of Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss optics from the 1990s--including roof-prism binoculars made after "phase-correction coating" became common.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Or a pair of Meopro HD in 8x42

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by skeen

Fair point.

I'll stand by my assessment.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Depends on how old they are, and not just due to use. There are new $400 binoculars today that beat some of the older "alphas." I know this due to having owned a bunch of Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss optics from the 1990s--including roof-prism binoculars made after "phase-correction coating" became common.

I agree 100%. An Athlon Midas UHD can be had for under $300 and it is amazing for the price. Easily on par with Viper HD's and many other $500 binos.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have your buddy go look at a pair of Zeiss conquest in 8 and 10 power not HD/ have 2 of each new in box from awhile ago that I bought in closeout from a big camera store in NY/ I was going to gift them to friends but forgot about them/ either one $400 each/ at the time they were discounted down from $659.00

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I agree 100%. An Athlon Midas UHD can be had for under $300 and it is amazing for the price. Easily on par with Viper HD's and many other $500 binos.

All this started happening pretty long ago. Was on a mule deer hunt in eastern Montana with a friend from Minnesota around 20 years ago. He was VERY proud of the brand-new "alpha" 10x40 he bought for the hunt--until I started seeing stuff he didn't through my Japanese 10x40. Eventually we switched binoculars, and he was disappointed to find my glass (which cost considerably less) also allowed him to see a little better....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not very knowledgeable about binocular glass, but I will say this. My old Pentax 10x42 DCF WP binocular with phase coating that is made in Japan has kept me from experimenting. I bought these from camerland about 15 years ago (or more) I think.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 10x42 DCF WP was about as good as it got--and still ranks right up there.

Did an experiment some years ago with several friends. Covered up the names of a few binoculars with tape (including one "Euro Alpha") and had them look through 'em all, then choose the best. A 10x42 DCP WP got just about all the votes.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is pretty amazing. I even got a rebate when I bought them. I don't remember what I paid for them, but it was probably around 300 bucks??

My son uses a Pentax 8x32 DCF WP with phase coating and made in Japan binocular. I bought those used (here I think) after being pleased with mine. His is a nice compact design being 8x32.

Thanks for the feedback JB

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome!

Actually Pentax (like a lot of optics companies, including today) didn't actually manufacture stuff. Instead they contracted with manufacturers. I would bet the DCF WPs were made by Light Optical, one of the finest optics factories in the world. They've been making optics for various companies since the 1950s--in recent years including some "alpha" companies.

Another example would be the Pentax rifle scopes that appeared around 20 years ago. They were actually made by the Colorado Burris factory--and in fact except for slight variations in bell-shape shape were obviously Burris Fullfield IIs, including the Ballisitic-Plex reticle--which Pentax called something else. This was admitted to me by one of their marketing guys, after I measured the length of a 3-9x40 Pentax and a 3-9x40 FFII made then--and compared the reticles on a target at 100 yards.

John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
John, are the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 still rated highly among the sub $500 class.

Mine have certainly been nice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take the time to call me or Neil and let's discuss what would be best for you, 516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Partagas
I would check out the Maven C1 option. My son has a pair and I am impressed.

I have the C1s also. Second this recommendation. Low light performance is pretty amazing. I felt they were a bargain at $400 (occasionally on sale 10% off).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.