Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I employ several methods when skinning.

A big part is determined by location, and attitude/state of mind as to whether I use compound loppers (2" oak limb capable), sawzall or simply bone around he ball sockets) or just take the loins and the quarters and do not open the critter up.

Anwho, as much as possible, I typically skin from the inside out.

YMMV

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gonehuntin: My long time "go to" Big Game knife is the double bladed large folding Buck Model 317.
I can easily "saw" my way through the breastbone rib cage of Deer and Antelope with its larger blade and it slimmer blade is absolutely perfect for removing the digestive tract outlet (anus) from said game.
Sadly Buck discontinued this wonderfully useful knife - luckily I have several.
For photos just "search" Buck 317.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by longarm
KillerBee,

The gutless method is sound.. but .. all the short/slashing cuts the fella in the video was making only introduce hair/dirt into the meat. Personally I found his execution pretty sloppy and didn't finish watching the video. He was essentially chopping from the outside.
Introduce the knife under the skin and flip it blade up, then simply unzip the critter. Works best, IME, when cutting in the direction of hair growth. This way the hair has a chance to be parted and not chopped and again introduced to the meat.
I'm no expert, but this is how I have done it on deer, elk, antelope, and bear and it makes for clean meat.
Pertinent to the thread in general, I rarely use gutless method simply because I like to get inside and see everything. I like to bring home the liver and heart too (I don't know if this was addressed in the video). I don't recall ever using a saw. I'm certain I've never used a replaceable blade.
Life is too short for ugly knives.. for proof of that statement see any post by GW.

I completely agree with your assessment, and also understand that if you enjoy the liver, heart and kidneys that you would want to open it up. I do not like the organ meat, so I leave that for the Yotes. I think he was rushing the job to make a point with the clock.

With the Swing Blade the Drop Point Skinner is amazing and works like the critter has a zipper on it lol. I take my time, because I do not like hair on my meat.

As mentioned I hunt solo most of the time, so it works best for me.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/26/23.

KB

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are my two favorites.

[Linked Image]

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by longarm
KillerBee,

The gutless method is sound.. but .. all the short/slashing cuts the fella in the video was making only introduce hair/dirt into the meat. Personally I found his execution pretty sloppy and didn't finish watching the video. He was essentially chopping from the outside.
Introduce the knife under the skin and flip it blade up, then simply unzip the critter. Works best, IME, when cutting in the direction of hair growth. This way the hair has a chance to be parted and not chopped and again introduced to the meat.
I'm no expert, but this is how I have done it on deer, elk, antelope, and bear and it makes for clean meat.
Pertinent to the thread in general, I rarely use gutless method simply because I like to get inside and see everything. I like to bring home the liver and heart too (I don't know if this was addressed in the video). I don't recall ever using a saw. I'm certain I've never used a replaceable blade.
Life is too short for ugly knives.. for proof of that statement see any post by GW.

I completely agree with your assessment, and also understand that if you enjoy the liver, heart and kidneys that you would want to open it up. I do not like the organ meat, so I leave that for the Yotes. I think he was rushing the job to make a point with the clock.

With the Swing Blade the Drop Point Skinner is amazing and works like the critter has a zipper on it lol. I take my time, because I do not like hair on my meat.

As mentioned I hunt solo most of the time, so it works best for me.

KB

Roger that, friend.
I watched a buddy use his Swing Blade on a young elk this last season and I was impressed! I have to admit, it worked very well.
Heart is for me. I have a friend or two who like the liver. If they pass on it I dehydrate it in thin strips as treats for the dogs. Kidneys I've never bothered with or eaten, for that matter.
Lately I'm hunting about half the time solo. Always have cord in my pack to tie a leg off to a tree, etc in the event I connect with a heavy animal.
Happy hunting!

Edited to add: Like you, I take my time in the field. I have come to see the time spent gutting, skinning, quartering as very pleasant.. same as the time later cutting and wrapping. With as long as it takes to draw some tags, I'm going to slow down and enjoy it when I can.

Last edited by longarm; 02/26/23.
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Been using a cold steel Pendleton light hunter.

I like the size and shape of the blade and handle.

Stays sharp through a couple deer (gut/skin).

Costs less than a case of miller light.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
The last 4-5 years, it's been a Grohmann stag handled #1.

The Grohman #1 is a VERY good design as a field knife for dressing and as well as a good skinner. The one I have (center) was found in a pawn shop and purchased for $20. It's an older carbon blade, not stainless.

The top knife is a Bark River Canadian that has been re-worked to approximate the Grohman but is a bit big for deer. I've used it in caribou and moose. It holds an edge better than the #1. The bottom knife is a Bark River Patch Knife. I've used it for dressing deer and it's very good at that but would be lacking for skinning.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's that Patch Knife with another Bark.

I've not used the top knife for anything yet, so cannot comment on it. smile

I have a Canadian Special as well, still in its original form. And I agree, it's a bit big for deer. I carry mine for elk, caribou, and if I ever pull a tag..... it'll join me on a moose hunt.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Buck 110 for hunting.

Current EDC is Buck Bantam 284.

The larger Bantam 286 wouldn't be a bad option for the field. Good choices abound.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This should be in the knife sub-forum.

Carry a number of $10 mora's in the backpack.......razor sharp (easily sharpened), light-weight, scandi-grind, plastic. Have an almost unlimited supply, credit OCD for that......along with clearance pricing.

Lightweight, hollow plastic handle....hatchet. Same inventory as above.

Value my 'made in USA' stuff. Cheap stuff can easily suffer loss or abuse. Learned that quickly, from 5 irresponsible offspring.

Dismembered 1 bull elk last October, 3 cow elk last November.......never sharpened a knife til after the 2 December gun seasons in Iowa.....6 deer later.

They are tools, they work.....no better bang for currency, anywhere.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Buck Vanguard with the black rubber and brass handle

And I use the hell out of the Mora's also.

Schrade improved muskrat for small game

LJ Rosi filet knife also. Love that thing

Last edited by Torqued; 02/26/23.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]If I could pick two Randall’s to have, it’d be those two. Very nice.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Coyotes shot no waiting.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
This should be in the knife sub-forum.

Carry a number of $10 mora's in the backpack.......razor sharp (easily sharpened), light-weight, scandi-grind, plastic. Have an almost unlimited supply, credit OCD for that......along with clearance pricing.

Lightweight, hollow plastic handle....hatchet. Same inventory as above.

Value my 'made in USA' stuff. Cheap stuff can easily suffer loss or abuse. Learned that quickly, from 5 irresponsible offspring.

Dismembered 1 bull elk last October, 3 cow elk last November.......never sharpened a knife til after the 2 December gun seasons in Iowa.....6 deer later.

They are tools, they work.....no better bang for currency, anywhere.

I agree - I discovered the $10 Mora a few years ago and I have them in every vehicle, in my fishing kit and hunting kit, I even have a couple in the cutlery drawer. They are like my reading glasses, I keep them everywhere. They also make inexpensive and generally well appreciated gifts. The best $10 tool out there.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by drover
I agree - I discovered the $10 Mora a few years ago and I have them in every vehicle, in my fishing kit and hunting kit, I even have a couple in the cutlery drawer. They are like my reading glasses, I keep them everywhere. They also make inexpensive and generally well appreciated gifts. The best $10 tool out there.

drover

You will get no argument from me on that point...they are excellent value.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've got way too many knives, but this is my current favorite hunting knife. Buck 116.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Kauffman knives, I like them too…

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by gremcat; 02/26/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image from ]
[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by gremcat; 02/27/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Last edited by gremcat; 02/26/23.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 3,302 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,263
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.