Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by huntsman22
it's only the 'best' of who is there that day.....

Correct.

Most who compete and don’t even win are better and have more balls than those who don’t attend

Maybe, but then again I'd bet there are a lot of great hunters who consider competition a waste of time, regardless of size of cahones'.
Precisely my thoughts. Why on earth would I waste time at a competition when I could actually be hunting.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Correct.

Most who compete and don’t even win are better and have more balls than those who don’t attend

Maybe, but then again I'd bet there are a lot of great hunters who consider competition a waste of time, regardless of size of cahones'.
Precisely my thoughts. Why on earth would I waste time at a competition when I could actually be hunting.

Can't hunt 365, except for varmints, and many aren't interested in blowing away tiny animals.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Correct.

Hunting pictures are not loading?

Strange?

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Correct.

Maybe cuz you shoot only once when hunting?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Correct.

That describes me. I am just not a competitive person and have never been interested in competition shooting. Maybe I am just grumpy...I dunno but I just can't force myself to get into it, and I really don't even enjoy informally blasting rocks all day. If I can't hunt all year (which I can in one form or another), I'd sooner just go to the bar or something.

Sorry to the OP. I am no help on the CDS question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Correct.

That describes me. I am just not a competitive person and have never been interested in competition shooting. Maybe I am just grumpy...I dunno but I just can't force myself to get into it, and I really don't even enjoy informally blasting rocks all day. If I can't hunt all year (which I can in one form or another), I'd sooner just go to the bar or something.

Sorry to the OP. I am no help on the CDS question.

Competition has little to do with beating the other guy

It has all to do with learning how to bring your best when the chips are down. If your best can’t beat the other guys, so be it.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fair point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Competition has little to do with beating the other guy

It has all to do with learning how to bring your best when the chips are down. If your best can’t beat the other guys, so be it.

The shooting sports are different than sportsball type things.

Only thing you can control is your shooting performance on that day.

You can't play defense and affect the other shooters.

Shooting your best might or might not win but it's the best thing that can happen that day, win or lose.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fair point.

What’s also telling is that posters saying “competition is a waste of time” are ignorant to the fact that competing makes your hunting game better

Shooting 1000 clay birds or 100 rounds at long range steel in various conditions on a weekend makes shooting live birds or that once-in-a-hunt shot at big game seem easy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fair point.

What’s also telling is that posters saying “competition is a waste of time” are ignorant to the fact that competing makes your hunting game better

Shooting 1000 clay birds or 100 rounds at long range steel in various conditions on a weekend makes shooting live birds or that once-in-a-hunt shot at big game seem easy

That could just be described as 'practice', as opposed to 'competition', or at least competition against others.
A guy could practice all day long, not win any kind of trophy to get pics of, not deal with crowds or whatever else, and still get the benefits you speak of.

I don't practice as much as I should for sure, for a few reasons, but think this is something important to clarify.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fair point.

That could just be described as 'practice', as opposed to 'competition', or at least competition against others.
A guy could practice all day long, not win any kind of trophy to get pics of, not deal with crowds or whatever else, and still get the benefits you speak of.

I don't practice as much as I should for sure, for a few reasons, but think this is something important to clarify.

Practice under zero pressure doesn’t come close.

👍🏼

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am sure that is correct for some, if not many.
For others, their own pressure to do better is all that they need to motivate themselves to improve. I guess that could be considered self competition, if a guy wants to think about it that way.

Different people get motivated differently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For others, their own pressure to do better is all that they need to motivate themselves to improve. I guess that could be considered self competition, if a guy wants to think about it that way.

I think the pressure he is talking about goes beyond the psychological motivation to practice, and refers more to the adrenaline-packed “fight or flight” response that comes with time pressure, an audience, and competition. IME, it’s very real, and closely approximates the moment-of-truth feeling of finally finding the game animal that you’ve been looking for, and having to make the shot in limited time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kudos on the exceptionally FABULOUS unleashing,of very WELL founded Insecurities! EPIC Hilarity! Hint.

I enjoy all the reasons The Paper Hat Brigade concocts,to not shoot...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you gals rattle pom-pom's from the bleachers. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Correct.

Maybe cuz you shoot only once when hunting?

Along with many hunting situations are fleeting opportunities. You have developed a level of ability and react. In individual shooting competitions you know going in someone will perform close to perfection. It is not fleeting and often an all day or weekend grind of not missing, which allows the brain to get in the way. Two different mind games. Two different individual applications of what may be equal abilities.

There are victories to be won with both....

Last edited by battue; 03/02/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's never been difficult to savvy who shoots and who don't. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You competed back in the day Ted.. The old KD course which I am sure you have completed a few times. While not a "match" it was scored and under time.

While we weren't trying to win, I'd think most fellas on the line were trying to clean the course of fire, and I'd be lying if we weren't trying to beat our buddies or at least win a beer bet. whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's never been difficult to savvy who shoots and who don't. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Pretty sure this post ain't about hunting, so the "why complete when you could be hunting" crowd can get off his knob any time now.....

R
rsiros Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Five pages deep and still posting… I love it. You’re my #1 poster here and kept this thread alive! Hell, I think you may have even given me some notoriety outside of the classifieds… thank you.

And to weigh in on the relevant comments, I don’t shoot competition, so those tools of the trade don’t impress me. I hunt, fish, and collect, so when I see plastic rifles with Yeti stickers on them, I just laugh and wonder if there is a matching Lulu Lemon outfit that coordinates with it. Seriously though, all the respect to those that shoot, no matter what your interests are. We’re all brothers and sisters that are united in protecting and keeping our rights as firearms owners. Shoot safe and enjoy your time in the sport.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.