Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have shot a bunch of .22 Rimfire Magnum ammo through a lot of different rifles, some costing over $1000. .22 Magnums are well-known for being ammo-picky, and that's exactly what happened with all those rifles, no matter the price.

Tried measuring rim-thickness, weighing rounds, measuring bullet run-out, etc., and eventually concluded the major problem with the .22 Magnum is the ammo features all sorts of bullets--traditional plated "rimfire" bullets like those used in the original Winchester factory ammo, to plastic-tipped jacketed bullets. These also tend to vary in "hardness" and distance to the lands.

Eventually I an across a new Ruger American .22 Magnum on the rack of a local gun store--on sale for half the standard retail price back then (which I'm guessing was due to the Obama Rimfire Shortage, when .22 Magnum ammo was pretty much unobtaium.) Couldn't resist, and it turned out to be the most all-around accurate .22 Magnum I've ever owned, with a wide variety of ammo.

Did some simple chamber measurements, and it turned out to have a little shorter throat than other .22 Magnums. My bore-scope also showed it had a fine barrel, which has been typical with Ruger since they started hammer-forging their own barrels in the early 1990s. E-mailed the then head of Ruger production and asked why it might shoot so well, and he answered, "Luck?"

Dunno about that, but a local buddy and I went ground squirrel shooting one day, and after I let him use the RAR he bought one--and it shot just as well as mine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sorting by rim thickness may bear sweeter results......The one I use is double ended for doing both .22 LR (and Short) and .22WMR. (Don't ask me the brand, I don't remember and I'm not at home to go look.)

I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole I'm going to chase .22 WMR accuracy. I'll look into a rim thickness measuring tool. However I'm minute of prairie dog beyond 100 yds, and it still pounded the crap out of my targets at 100 yards.

I think that you have answered your own question. If you are minute of prairie dog, it's not likely to get much better. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 73 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.