Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
As I said before there is nothing wrong with the Hornet. The 22 Spitfire is the closest thing to the cartridge I am building with the exception of the 40deg shoulder and the body taper. This is a cartridge and rifle I will shoot a lot so $2 a round for brass or loaded ammo does not appeal to me. Im not buying custom anything, Building everything myself and all in will have less than $250 invested. Naturally that doesnt include the rifle but does include the reamer which will be used for both this and 223 AI barrels, die blanks and a set of 223 Ackley dies which I will shorten to make things easy.

We all have our hobbies and this is what I like to do for fun. Its easier on my body than building 4wheel drives or old cars which Ive done, cheaper than sitting in the tavern several times a week which I have watched many people do, more fulfilling and enjoyable than sitting and watching TV which was all I could do at times after transplants and treatments. If I was working all the time though I would probably just shoot a Hornet, Fireball or one of the 222's I have so I definitely understand some peoples point of view.

GB1

G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
If anyone has suggestions on powder I would appreciate it. I have 4198, 4227 and 2400 which all could possibly work well of which 4198 may be the best. If this cartridge works out, in a single shot pistol 4227 may be the winner but in a rifle barrel I don't think it will be. Going through powders on GRT VIHTAVUORI N110 looks like it may be a perfect powder but I have never used any of this brand. I'm also wondering about the new Winchester StaBall Match. Has anyone used this yet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GRG
Ive really been looking at doing some kind of Wildcat and I keep coming back to the 300 Blackout case.

I want it to meet some of these criteria.
1. Low powder consumption
2, Easily available and cheap brass
3. 22 caliber
4. Extremely low recoil
5. Available action and mag configuration to work with size of round.

I had thought about the 22 TCM but I have not seen anything good about its accuracy. My eyes keep going to the 300BO sized case sitting in my case collection. It seems like the perfect size yet will have a decent enough powder capacity and size to be easy to work with. Now that 300BO rifles are available they would be a simple conversion. Im wanting a 200yd and under shooter for fun and varmints. once I have a reamer made I can make dies. I also do all my own work.

Any thoughts? I already have plenty of 222, 223 and 222mag stuff so not looking for the simple standard cartridge to go to. Is there anything already like this out there, not counting Mashburns, Fireball etc.?

Thanks

Glenn

The portion of the case that becomes the neck, is thicker when forming from 300 whisper.
You'll need a reamer ground to the specs you arrive at once you've necked to the desired caliber.
I did this with a 6mmX300W and it worked out great. Using a type s die you can utilize the correct bushing to arrive at the desired neck tension.

.... like tears in the rain
G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've already sized, trimmed to length and loaded bullets in the brass. Measures perfect without any neck turning. Once I chamber the barrel we will see but shouldnt be an issue. Just happened to work out perfect it seems using 223 brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GRG
I've already sized, trimmed to length and loaded bullets in the brass. Measures perfect without any neck turning. Once I chamber the barrel we will see but shouldnt be an issue. Just happened to work out perfect it seems using 223 brass.

I've made what seems like a million crazy 221 cases from 223....and have yet to find a piece of 223 brass that didnt need inside reaming or outside turning to fit into a sammy 221 chamber , and the neck ends up being a smidge short with 300 Whisper brass.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRG

You need to learn how to post pictures.... not very hard with an "Imgur" account. Would love to see the cartridges.

G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
AKA Spook you may be right in I may be just a bit tight on neck tension but not by much. My reamer is cutting the neck area just about right for this and the cases I am using. I have some brass fireformed and went out to get some velocities. No pressure signs at all and so far I am in the 2550fps area with about 2 1/2gr capacity available for H4198 pushing a 40gr Nosler. That was at 14gr and should be able to seat bullets to the shoulder with 16 1/2Gr capacity. That is a BT bullet so may try some flat base and then a couple of other powders like VN110 and IMR110 as they both look like perfect burn rate for this.

Another thing is I spun up the barrel using a M37 Remington barrel for this. 1 in 16" rimfire barrel. I will get a 12' twist CF barrel for this but after a lot of reading realized most of the early Hornets were all made on rimfire barrels figured it would be worth a go. Not sure if the tighter barrel is slowing it down?
It is shooting good. At short distance just checking velocity but still aiming it was shooting one hole. At one hundred I was into just a couple loads 2rds each charge and they were very accurate. I wasn't checking for accuracy just speed but they ended up being good. Didnt get to take a pic of the target as my son ended up spraying it with his AR. LOL

I did this on a Ruger Predator action which I think feeding is going to be the big issue. I have an idea on how to modify the mag but i think the way Ruger does their feed ramp is just an issue. Not a big deal as the original barrel I punched to 223AI and it is a hammer so putting this back and leaving it as that wont hurt my feelings. I have a Rem 722 in 222 that lags a little behind my other 222's and I may pull the barrel and do my 12" twist barrel when I get it on this rifle. I have checked and it feeds these short cartridges perfect.

I had a Imgur account but haven't used it in a long time. Is that what you have to use?

G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Got my Imgur account going again so here are a few pics of the Ruger Predator and my cartridge. It loves 12.1-12.4gr of Lilgun on the top end so settled on 12.2, just over 3025 fps. At 100 its a consistent 1/4" Av. round. Shoots 3/4" at 160yds which is what the range I go to maxes out at. I also have some low velocity squirrel ammo figured out. H4198 running right between 2500 and 2600fps, also shoots very similar at both of those ranges. Well not so sure about pics.

I believe I will go to Brownells this week and grab a Douglas #2 barrel blank to spin up for one of my 722's. It seems to feed these rounds beautifully so will just have to make a block and modified feed plate for it. I have to work on the magazine for the Ruger as it is a single feed so far. I do like Martini rifles so if this cartridge pans out good for me there may be one chambered for a Martini some time.
Bottom pic is with my 223AI barrel.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by GRG; 05/06/23.
G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
AKA Spook you were correct. When using new brass I am neck turning them right away. The 223 brass does work the best and cheapest. Seems like if I stay away from military brass it all sizes perfect with no loss and pockets are not changing after 4 or 5 firings so far.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting project, congratulations on your success.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

G
GRG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks, its working out. Cut four inches off and re-crowned the barrel so want to see what the change in velocity is. If its not much and the accuracy is still good I will cut it down to 20" then recontour it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.