Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We all know about Germany between the wars.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Government overspending, as in the many extraneous social programs and the Ukraine war, will burden us with inflation.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The pain is only beginning. They only know how to spend, print,and tax. The war on fossil fuel, is making things 1000 times worse.

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Tax cuts would increase demand, fueling inflation.

What should be done, and should have been done a LONG time ago, is to restart student loan payments. That would have a significant impact on spending, immediately.

Second, we should increase labor availability. Active, regular reviews of disability status and other welfare programs prone to abuse. Limit student loans to no more than the annual average income in the chosen field. Remove the tax penalty for working while on SS.

Lots of ways to increase supply of labor and decrease spending that would be good for this country.

Dutch, I agree with most of what your posted if not just to tamp down inflation, but also just good fiscal hygiene. But we know how far that would go in Washington.

However what is your logic behind removing the tax penalty for work on SS?

Carpe' Scrotum
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Steve

What should be done, and should have been done a LONG time ago, is to restart student loan payments. That would have a significant impact on spending, immediately.

Second, we should increase labor availability. Active, regular reviews of disability status and other welfare programs prone to abuse. Limit student loans to no more than the annual average income in the chosen field. Remove the tax penalty for working while on SS.

Lots of ways to increase supply of labor and decrease spending that would be good for this country.

Dutch, I agree with most of what your posted if not just to tamp down inflation, but also just good fiscal hygiene. But we know how far that would go in Washington.

I would assume it would incentivize some older folks to KEEP working, and help with the labor shortages we’re having.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Osky
They must have a massive warehouse full of that hidden away somewhere.

Osky

We're do you think the toilet paper is going.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx

I would assume it would incentivize some older folks to KEEP working, and help with the labor shortages we’re having.

How does that help with inflation?

Carpe' Scrotum
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Because employers can find (older) workers for $15/hr, rather than having to offer $25/hr, and passing the “inflated” cost along to customers??????

(Too much money chasing too few WORKERS (rather than goods, in this case. It increases the number of potential workers, since folks are incentivized to work longer in life)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Because employers can find (older) workers for $15/hr, rather than having to offer $25/hr, and passing the “inflated” cost along to workers??????

Mmmm... Maybe.

But I'm thinking of it from a monetary supply side increase and stifled energy production, not wage inflation. Seems that this wouldn't reduce the amount of money available as would something like restarting student debt payments.

If the cause of this current round of inflation is because of government spending (Later COVID relief, debt relief, and the $1.7T spending bill in Dec), and I believe it is along with artificially capping energy production, then I don't see how wages are contributing much.

Is there much if any wage inflation, yet?

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Supply and demand. The Fed chokes demand while the Dems choke consumer supply by spending on government programs and paying people not to work and flooding the supply of money. The Fed refuses to acknowledge the cross currents. It can't end well without a change in administration and soon.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Because employers can find (older) workers for $15/hr, rather than having to offer $25/hr, and passing the “inflated” cost along to workers??????

Mmmm... Maybe.

But I'm thinking of it from a monetary supply side increase and stifled energy production, not wage inflation. Seems that this wouldn't reduce the amount of money available as would something like restarting student debt payments.

If the cause of this current round of inflation is because of government spending (Later COVID relief, debt relief, and the $1.7T spending bill in Dec), and I believe it is along with artificially capping energy production, then I don't see how wages are contributing much.

Wage inflation???
That guy flipping your burger is making $20 an hour, now. Three years ago, he was making $10……

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mmmm... Maybe.

Wage inflation???
That guy flipping your burger is making $20 an hour, now. Three years ago, he was making $10……

Good point.

Carpe' Scrotum
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Mmmm... Maybe.

Wage inflation???

Good point.

Yep. Check out this pay raise for commercial pilots:

https://onemileatatime.com/insights/pilot-pay-raises-sustainable/

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It's not complicated. The only shortage that would be beneficial is a scarcity of paper for printing money.

**BEWARE SCAMMER BEWARE SCAMMER BEWARE SCAMMER**
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Mortgage applications at 28-year low

The markets have held up better than I would have thought and inflation is proving tougher to control than the Fed expected. I'm bearish but wouldn't be surprised if the government actually lets inflation run higher for longer instead of interest rates.

The Mortgage Market Cum’n to a Halt if J. Rome Continues his Quest..

Banks make the Spread between Short End T’s an Loan at a Rate which is Above That ..

If the Short End is Higher than the Long End then it’s 52 Card Pick Up ..

The End ..

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's not even paper, dots on a computer screen.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mmmm... Maybe.

Wage inflation???

Good point.

There’s also a supply side to getting more people working. People who work PRODUCE goods and services. People who retire don’t. If a person of retirement age keeps working, they commonly will spend a bit more, but not everything they make. So the SUPPLY of goods and services increases by a full worker’s share, but the DEMAND for the goods and services they produce grows only a fraction of that full share.

Likewise, if you can move someone into the workforce instead of going to grad school for gender studies, they produce a full share rather than zero, but their consumption only goes up a fraction of a share.

Both examples of how increasing the workforce is anti inflationary.

Conversely, increasing unemployment by reducing business activity reduces the number of people producing, but not the number who are consuming. That is clearly inflationary.

Now, I’m not at ALL opposed to a guy making $20 an hour for changing my oil or bagging my groceries. Well paying jobs are good for our society. But just making all the numbers bigger (wages and expenses) doesn’t do anybody much good.

And neither does jacking up the interest rate to “slow down the economy”. It’s asinine.

The inflation spiral,in the 70’s was started when Carter misjudged OPEC and the oil shock happened. It ended DESPITE Volcker making it worse with his interest rate policy when the price of oil came back down.

But, economists like to think they “solved the crisis”.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (222ND, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.