Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mainer:

Where did you source the bottom metal/trigger guard from? That seems like a very worthwhile upgrade to me!

Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Mainer:

Where did you source the bottom metal/trigger guard from? That seems like a very worthwhile upgrade to me!

Thanks

used the boyds ai kit. Took 3 tries to get mag depth and mag angle EXACTLY where I wanted it. Had to rummage around a Napa bolts/fasteners bin for a longer 1/4" fine thread hex bolt. I think 1/4" longer threads.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many thanks for the info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much work did it take for the mag well to work? Was the factory inlet close?

What I mean is could a fella swap out just the bottom metal/mag box and keep the plastic trigger guard? Not optimal but just curious?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Jmr40, I certainly won't be selling my American for a tikka. I like a short action cartridge in an actual short action rifle. Preferring the heavier bullets in the 308, I like that 1:10 twist, and certainly won't down-grade to a 1:11 twist.

Boatanchor,
If I'm cloverleafing groups from a 3 lb stock trigger, why would I waste money on an upgrade? Of all my rugers, I've never felt the need to replace any trigger. Minor tuning was all that was needed.

Last time I checked, this is the Ruger American thread. Scores of tikka and kimber fan-boy threads. Go jump on those. This is about the top selling, most affordable budget rifle in the United States.

Anyhow, the best value in the ruger american world is not the predator model, but new and used standard rifles. And yes they are well worth the upgrades.

OK, enough about overpriced budget guns that have nothing to do with upgrading a Ruger American.

So, $100 for a used American+Scope.
$347 for 2 steel AI mags, aluminum bolt shroud and aluminum bottom metal.

That's $447 all up, all steel and aluminum.

Next upgrade is open sights.

Dmn it! The barrel is gonna have to be chopped to 20". It won't fit in a vertical scabbard under my handle bar like my 338 RCM carbine. Smith charges $40 for a cut/recrown.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

$100 for the rifle and scope?

That’s a helluva deal. Never seen one that cheap, much less wearing a Redfield.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JMR40
I sold mine and bought a Tikka. I don't see any point in throwing money at the Ruger's. They are an accurate budget rifle left as is. But when you start putting money into one you'll quickly end up with more money in it than it would cost to just buy a better rifle in the 1st place.

I've had 3 of the Predators, a 308, 6.5CM and 223. The 308 took AI magazines and was trouble free. As is the 223 that takes AR magazines. I had issues with the standard magazines in the 6.5 CM. I kept the 223 and swapped the others for comparable Tikka's. No mag issues at all and they are more accurate. I use the 5 round Tikka mags and like them better.

The stock is fine as is. Yes, it is flimsy, but the way Ruger's are bedded it doesn't affect accuracy the way it would on other rifle designs.

I only paid $350 each for the Predators I owned. At that price they were a bargain. But they are in the $500-$600 range now. I can still buy a Tikka for $100-$200 more. Much better than throwing the same money at a Ruger.

This plus 10..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I only have a sampling of one Ruger American Ranch in .300 Blk. The only upgrade I've done is add a Silencer CO ASR flash suppressor. I wouldn't put a ton of money in one, but I don't mind making a cheap rifle something I enjoy by spending a little money over time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a point of no return on upgrading a budget rifle. I have a left-hand, stainless .308. I put a little epoxy in the cross-hatch in the front of the stock to firm it up and changed the trigger spring, allowing me to adjust it down to around 3.5 pounds. I put an SWFA 6x fixed scope on it, along with SWFA rings. The magazines work OK as is, as long as I do not put a full mag of rounds in it. Ruger also sent me some replacements, which seem a bit better. Total expenditure-virtually nothing, as I had the epoxy and the springs already.

Your money, your choice, but my 1/2-moa rifle is just fine for me, without investing a bunch of money in it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rich,
Congrats on the Ruger American. That's cool you're hunting with a rifle made in your home state.

I just swapped out the plastic bolt shroud on my 308 for an aluminum one from anarchy outdoors. All went well.

I personally like the original stock and the bedding system is far superior to any other budget rifle out there. The recoil pad is excellent as well. The rifle shoots everything I've tried under 3/4" @ 100 yards. That 1:10" rifling stabilizes 200 and 220 grain bullets very well. Some of my handloads, like the 200 grain hot cor, clover leaf the target. Easily the most accurate rifle I own.

I had issues with both the old rotary mag and the newer replacements. In addition to the plastic bolt shroud, I also don't care for the plastic trigger guard. So that's where I made improvements, and the ugrade was quick and easy.

Now fed from steel AI mags, no other rifle I own would feed more reliable. I purposely set the depth of the AI bottom metal, so that the magazine feed lips almost touch the bottom of the bolt.

The 3 lug design seems meant for steel AI mags, as one lug points straight down when cycling the rifle, and fits right in between the feed lips, getting a good purchase on the cartridge.

During feeding, the tip of cartridges stay slightly above the feed ramp, before the round is released from the feed lips. The rounds have a slight upward cant toward the chamber, controlled by very strong spring pressure of the steel AI mags.

Anyhow, I've no use for a fkn over-priced tikka or kimber hunter. The American is the top selling bolt action in the United States

Here in Alaska, friends are stacking moose n caribou with em no problem.

$100 for the rifle & scope used.

Less than $350 for the aluminum shroud, trigger guard, bottom metal and used AI mags.

Do the math on that.

$100.00 for the rifle and scope, really, must have been well "used".

Last edited by Switch; 03/17/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yea if he likes his rifle that’s all that matters. His figures are not all that practical though. To end up where he did you have to buy the rifle and scope for $100. That’s not common. Then you have to be able to do all those modifications yourself and not everyone can.

I’m sure not saying what someone else should spend their money on though. I just bought a Howa mini and have sank more into it than it will ever be worth. We just have our selves to please.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boatanchor,
If I'm cloverleafing groups from a 3 lb stock trigger, why would I waste money on an upgrade? Of all my rugers, I've never felt the need to replace any trigger. Minor tuning was all that was needed.

Last time I checked, this is the Ruger American thread. Scores of tikka and kimber fan-boy threads. Go jump on those. This is about the top selling, most affordable budget rifle in the United States.

Have no idea why you chose the azz hole approach ????????
I have 2 Ruger American Rifles and IMO the Timney trigger was the most significant upgrade to both of them, does a lot more for performance than your pretty pink bolt shroud that does nothing

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was going to ask maybe a silly question

I have a couple Americans and had a couple more

What is the practical reason for replacing the bolt shroud?

In the thread like this I would probably not suggest we’ll my xxx is just better. But I also understand not dumping a ton into a budget rifle. I just went through this with an older 700ADL in243 that is just nice rifle but the things I wanted to do to it it makes sense to start with a new rifle and that’s what I am doing

For what they are Americans are just good rifles the Ruger in 450 BM are everywhere here. Plus any issues Ruger is awesome at Customer Serv not sure it’s as good with everyone

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 99in22_250
Howdy:

I purchased a new Ruger American Compact this winter in 308 Winchester to try out. I'll be still hunting, doing a lotta mountain walking in my search for another NH Whitetail this Fall. I have a couple questions about upgrades.

1. Can you folks recommend a decent company to purchase a good replacement rear bolt shroud? Not liking the plastic one and I'd like to go lightweight aluminum if possible.

2. I'd like to replace the flimsy (although light weight) stock with a decent wood stock. Again, I'd like it simple and lightweight and didn't know if you folks had a recommendation for one for this COMPACT AMERICAN model.

Thank you in advance,

Rich

I would sell it and buy a Tikka rifle. Might be cheaper in the long run and the quality is there

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by boatboy

For what they are Americans are just good rifles the Ruger in 450 BM are everywhere here. Plus any issues Ruger is awesome at Customer Serv not sure it’s as good with everyone

Hank

Hank, yep great customer service with Ruger.

I replaced my bolt shoud because it cracked at 30 below zero. Rifle took a spill with the bolt open. Anarchy are out of stock on everything but anodized red shrouds.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boatboy

Hank

Hank, yep great customer service with Ruger.

I replaced my bolt shoud because it cracked at 30 below zero. Rifle took a spill with the bolt open. Anarchy are out of stock on everything but anodized red shrouds.

That makes sense if you possibly hunt in that degree of cold
I would replace it also

Thanks for the perspective
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Jmr40, I certainly won't be selling my American for a tikka. I like a short action cartridge in an actual short action rifle. Preferring the heavier bullets in the 308, I like that 1:10 twist, and certainly won't down-grade to a 1:11 twist.

Boatanchor,

Anyhow, the best value in the ruger american world is not the predator model, but new and used standard rifles. And yes they are well worth the upgrades.

OK, enough about overpriced budget guns that have nothing to do with upgrading a Ruger American.

So, $100 for a used American+Scope.
$347 for 2 steel AI mags, aluminum bolt shroud and aluminum bottom metal.

That's $447 all up, all steel and aluminum.

Next upgrade is open sights.

Dmn it! The barrel is gonna have to be chopped to 20". It won't fit in a vertical scabbard under my handle bar like my 338 RCM carbine. Smith charges $40 for a cut/recrown.

$100 for the rifle and scope?

That’s a helluva deal. Never seen one that cheap, much less wearing a Redfield.

Was $230 for the gunsmith to install open sights, barrel cut to 20" and target crown. So $677 all up, open sights, scope, two accuracy international mags, ai bottom metal and aluminum bolt shroud.

It weighs 7.3 lbs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I've upgraded on my Ruger American Predator, was to some polymer magazines...

Chambered in 6.5 Grendal, its just fine for what I need in a hunting rifle.

I have a pair of Howa Minis in 223, and as much as I like the rifles... I'd prefer a Predator in 223.

a 4 x 14 Burris on top...

one of my most favorite rifles.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like Tikkas, BUT they don’t make a lite that I wouldn’t have to chop/thread to run suppressors on. Even then it’d take adapters. There’s rifles for individual purposes, and there’s some Ruger American models that fill some good niches for the $. They’re also FAR more readily available in FAR more configurations and chamberings than Tikkas….OR Howas. I like my Howa Mini, and most Howas. For my particular 223 bolt gun uses, taking AR mags makes some sense. The Rugers are highly utilitarian, and that often wins decisions for many.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They are great budget guns backed by excellent customer service and aftermarket support.

Yep,the advantages and value of an American over a tikka are almost too numerous to list. I can totally see why they're the top-selling bolt action. They probably outsell tikkas 10:1.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/30/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an early American in .223 compact. It has no provisions to change out the magazine except to buy a new stock. At some point it will be the trainer for the grand kids so I don't see the value in going to a new stock just to get a new style of magazine. I'll let one of the grand kids make that choice. I recently bought a Predator in 22-250. Every load I put in it is MOA or better with 60 grain soft points. I bought some more of the Ruger rotary magazines and they all work OK. Not perfect, but Ok.

If Ruger ever offers the compact in .358 Winchester, I'm in. Take my money.

kwg

Edit: Mainer in AK, that is a very good looking American. I like the fixed sights.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 05/01/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,919
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.