Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by navlav8r
When you look at the video there’s no way the pilot could see the drone when he got within 500’ or so. I don’t know why they felt like that had to pull up from low to high to get fuel on the drone. Better to have just approached level from dead 6:00 and a few feet above it or “thump” it by pulling just in front of it which would make the drone fly through the dumped fuel.

Wingtip vortices could have damaged it, as well as a transonic shock wave.

Though fouling the engine with fuel was clever.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Them damned Russians are tricky. Knocked the yellow stripes right off of those props.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Them damned Russians are tricky. Knocked the yellow stripes right off of those props.
Now they're going to have to remake the video and add the yellow stripes... 🤣🤣🤣

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see the stripes?

Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Teal
I see the stripes?

Not after that Russian plane hit the props and knocked them off you don’t.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Any hotdog throttle jockey knows the procedure is supposed to be "Fuel dump- - - -afterburner- - - -instant blowtorch!" Singe the feathers off the wings and the bird will fall out of the sky!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Didn’t figure a different camera angle would flummox you as much as it does jag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see the stripes?

They didn't knock the strips off. Look at the video carefully and you will see that in the first pass that the only time the stripes are VERY visible is when the sunlight hits them on the bottom of the rotation. On the second pass, the drone is positioned to where the sunlight is not shining them, but if you slow the video way down you can make them out a bit.

Some of y'all just want to make a conspiracy theory out of anything.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I see the stripes?

They didn't knock the strips off. Look at the video carefully and you will see that in the first pass that the only time the stripes are VERY visible is when the sunlight hits them on the bottom of the rotation. On the second pass, the drone is positioned to where the sunlight is not shining them, but if you slow the video way down you can make them out a bit.

Conspiracy theory? Here is one for you. Pull up a picture of an MQ-9 and explain how those props got hit without touching any of the rest of the airframe.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The MQ-9 was also maneuvering pretty abruptly as well apparently as that it is going a completely different direction on that second pass than it was on the first.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/16/23.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see the stripes?

Conspiracy theory? Here is one for you. Pull up a picture of an MQ-9 and explain how those props got hit without touching any of the rest of the airframe.

You do realize it's 2 separate passes correct?

First pass is close.

2nd pass hits the drone and the screen goes dark/grey/gone. You have no idea that the props were or weren't hit without the airframe because visuals disappear after the hit - on pass 2

Me

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I see the stripes?

You do realize it's 2 separate passes correct?

First pass is close.

2nd pass hits the drone and the screen goes dark/grey/gone. You have no idea that the props were or weren't hit without the airframe because visuals disappear after the hit - on pass 2

No, they don’t. They show the damaged props minus the yellow stripes.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Multiple cameras and angles are apparently a bit much for some here.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Same camera. Same camera angle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But different heading and different lighting.

Navlav8r, one second's thought and you'll realize why making a pass from behind and slightly above is really dumb. The drone would have been completely out of sight below his nose the whole time. Hence the attempt to approach from below and pull up. Badly timed, however.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

On the second pass the prop is in the shadow of the fuselage or wing. Different direction? The prop is in the shadow of the fuselage or wing; that’s why the tips aren’t as visible on the second pass. The two passes weren’t back to back and the drone had simply turned.

I’m guessing the Russkie’s right wingtip or right horizontal stab hit the prop. Looks like two prop blades are damaged.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

On the second pass the prop is in the shadow of the fuselage or wing. Different direction? The prop is in the shadow of the fuselage or wing; that’s why the tips aren’t as visible on the second pass. The two passes weren’t back to back and the drone had simply turned.

I’m guessing the Russkie’s right wingtip or right horizontal stab hit the prop. Looks like two prop blades are damaged.

As I said it’s clearly going a different direction. Look at the sun on the water in the first pass. But I’ll be damned if I can make out stripes on the props even if I slow it down and look hard. But it really doesn’t make much difference. The drone’s transponder was off and it was gathering intelligence that we have admitted we supply to Ukraine. They would have been justified in making a gun run on it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Appears one blade tip is curled, second blade is feathered...
Pentagon spokesman on the noon news said there's nothing of value to be recovered from the wreckage...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. Look how the sun hits the ventral fin in each pass.

I agree that it likely a right wingtip strike, judging from his pullup. It made a pretty good thump to knock the camera offline like that.

Just a rough guess, but from that altitude, they probably had 15 minutes of glide time to first clean their shorts back at the control center, and then take steps to wipe/disable everything of intel value. I have no idea if they have a destruct package on parts of it - that's not likely, though.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,612
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.