Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jwp475
What is y'all's problem with the Picitiny rail?
Ugliness on a rifle like that, even though most of it is covered up.
Integral type like this Montana isn't as bad as a 20MOA stick.
Pic rails are trending, though.

Looks like they may also offer a bald top which would give owners more flexibility and a cleaner look.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

Looks like they may also offer a bald top which would give owners more flexibility and a cleaner look.

Picitiny rails are great for mounting scope that would others wise tuuf to get proper eye relief. If you don't like the full rail you can cut out the middle part between the rings.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

The extra weight would be my main concern.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by shinbone

Seriously? Jeez

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Picitiny rails are great for mounting scope that would others wise tuuf to get proper eye relief. If you don't like the full rail you can cut out the middle part between the rings.
Talley makes a two-piece pic rail solution for some applications.
The Montana rifle I have is a heavy-ish rifle to begin with. That little added weight of the integral pic would be a non-issue.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Talley makes a two-piece pic rail solution for some applications.
The Montana rifle I have is a heavy-ish rifle to begin with. That little added weight of the integral pic would be a non-issue.

Average weight of a full length Picatiny rail is 2 to 3 ounces

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Seriously? Jeez

Yes, seriously. It is already going to be a heavy action. Adding more weight with an unwanted pic rail will only further narrow its appeal.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Seriously? Jeez

Yes, seriously. It is already going to be a heavy action. Adding more weight with an unwanted pic rail will only further narrow its appeal.

So how much do the mounts that you would use weigh, since a couple of ounces is to much for you

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not interested in a pic rail, so any weight penalty is not wanted. You like a pic rail, so you don't mind the extra weight an integrated pic rail brings. Different strokes, etc.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I am not interested in a pic rail, so any weight penalty is not wanted. You like a pic rail, so you don't mind the extra weight an integrated pic rail brings. Different strokes, etc.

How much do your monthly weigh? Is there a weight penalty?

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Unless I am missing the picture, I only see 2 part integral rail.
I like it. Less screw connections and a little additional ring placement options. Hopefully they will offer bigger bore stainless and synthetic options soon.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I like it. Less screw connections and a little additional ring placement options. Hopefully they will offer bigger bore stainless and synthetic options soon.

Yes, and it looks like the rear section has been hollowed out to reduce weight. I think the weight complaints came from someone who hadn't looked at the action pictures. Not that you need to know anything about the matter at hand to comment on it, of course.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RPN

Yes, and it looks like the rear section has been hollowed out to reduce weight. I think the weight complaints came from someone who hadn't looked at the action pictures. Not that you need to know anything about the matter at hand to comment on it, of course.

It is cut out over the action to make it easier to load the magazine. I've done that to a few of mine.

Even leaving them full length the average wight is 2 to 3 ounces

They are usually to long and have to be shortened when big bell scopes are mounted as low as possible

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Scroll down and you'll also see a picture of one with no rail; Talley LWs holding the scope.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RevMike
Scroll down and you'll also see a picture of one with no rail; Talley LWs holding the scope.

Hopefully, that photo does show an 2022 action option with no rail, rather than an image of a 1999 action recycled from the old MRC archives.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RevMike

Hopefully, that photo does show an 2022 action option with no rail, rather than an image of a 1999 action recycled from the old MRC archives.

I'm almost 100% certain that's the new action, the old M1999 action didn't have the scalloping where the banner and serial number is located like in the pic. The pictures with the two piece picatinny rail look like it's machined integral to the action with a cutout in the center to lighten it. It looks like they're offering both the rail option and no rail which is smart.

The old Montana 1999 actions were cast by Pine Tree casting which was a division of Ruger. They were nice but too heavy, there was a lot of unnecessary metal in them. These being fully machined it looks like they did some work to knock out the parts that added weight but no functional benefit. That's great, weight for no reason is a negative. You can always add weight back if it's too light. Most custom rifles come in too heavy when guys start adding heavy scopes, heavy fiberglass stocks and larger contour barrels. It's easy to make a rifle that'll shoot, it's harder to make one that'll shoot and doesn't handle like a train axle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I want one. Price ,I am guessing around 2K. I hope they have as nice Walnut as in the pic.I have had 3 of them and all were shooters.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'm almost 100% certain that's the new action, the old M1999 action didn't have the scalloping where the banner and serial number is located like in the pic. The pictures with the two piece picatinny rail look like it's machined integral to the action with a cutout in the center to lighten it. It looks like they're offering both the rail option and no rail which is smart.

The old Montana 1999 actions were cast by Pine Tree casting which was a division of Ruger. They were nice but too heavy, there was a lot of unnecessary metal in them. These being fully machined it looks like they did some work to knock out the parts that added weight but no functional benefit. That's great, weight for no reason is a negative. You can always add weight back if it's too light. Most custom rifles come in too heavy when guys start adding heavy scopes, heavy fiberglass stocks and larger contour barrels. It's easy to make a rifle that'll shoot, it's harder to make one that'll shoot and doesn't handle like a train axle.

This is a MRC 1999 that I picked up a few weeks after MRC announced their closing. Except for superficial differences like bluing and stock material, it looks pretty much the same as the gun w/o integral mounts shown on the new MRC website. My MRC 1999 appears to have a higher serial number than the rifle shown on the website, so my guess is the website is showing an old image.

I always thought the MRC 1999 action was a great design, but poorly executed and poorly supported by the company. I hope the new MRC does a lot better, and I will probably buy one regardless of the integral mounts.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They must have changed them somewhere in their manufacturing run, neither of the two I have are scalloped like that. Mine started as bare actions from early in the run.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hopefully, the new MRC will be releasing more information soon to answer some of these questions.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,914
Posts18,479,587
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.