Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ian,

Thanks for the info. Two questions please:

- anything you can share on pricing?

- when do you anticipate starting to take orders?

Thanks, Tim

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by horse1
Is there a patient issue that keeps them from producing the recoil lug integral to the action? Not to be a nay-sayer but it looks like a lot of extra nooks-and-crannies where glass-bedding material will end up where you don't want it and/or create mechanical lock where it ought not be??

If there's a good reason to produce the action/lug in that manner I'm all ears.

I love that they're using the open trigger design.
Curious on that also. Is the lower lug affixed to the stock ala tikka?
Also curious what max coal in the two action lengths will be.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The lug is the only thing about the action I’m not sure of but I figured worst case scenario I’ll just epoxy it to the action and treat it as a normal action at that point

M
M
Hey all, back from a glorious week of camping and hiking in SC with the family :-)

There's too many questions to answer to the the quote post thing, so here it goes:
1. We will be offering both bare and barreled actions as our manufacturing dept. picks up speed.
2. There are no plans currently to do custom rifles or wildcats, you'll have to work with your gunsmith and one of our bare actions. The long and short, is we don't have the manpower.
3. The initial offering for the McMillan stock is very similar to their Gamehunter model. A traditional sporter will be coming later as we add to the product line.
4. Lefty actions should be out in a year or so.
5. Picatinny slot spacing is the same as if it was a solid rail, anything else would be silly!
6. We're not taking direct orders. Sales are being handled through the same rep groups we use for our G5 Outdoors and Prime Archery brands. They're doing the leg work to find "full service" shops in their areas that are a good fit for this brand. There should be a dealer locator on the main MRC website at some point in time.
7. Being a Michigan company, we'll be doing straight wall "neutered" rounds at some point. It will likely be the .350 Legend, and .450 Bushmaster because of sales volumes despite my affinity for better rounds like the 45 raptor and various whisper type wildcats. I've got some fun goofy stuff for my own personal collection brewing, but I'm sure it'll never make production.
8. The bean counters are working on the pricing, but it's going to be somewhere between $2-3k depending on options.

and finally, the answer to the recoil lug...

The reason for the removeable construction stems from it being a fully machined receiver, and starting bar stock size. We start with a 2" diameter 10 lbs chunk of pre heat treated stainless. We gun drill the main bolt diameter on center using the same drill we use to make barrels. If I were make the recoil lug integral to the receiver, I'd have to start with 2.5" diameter stock (13.5 lbs vs 10 lbs), and subsequently machine off the additional 3-1/2 lbs of steel. With the increased cost of material and added machine time, it would add somewhere in the $500 ballpark cost to the receiver. Yes, it's somewhat of a compromise, but it works, and works well.

We bed the actions with Devcon epoxy front and rear. The lug and all receiver surfaces are drafted forward and laterally to allow release from the bedding compound. The flat recoil bearing surfaces are left flat for proper load transfer. The lug to receiver fit is quite tight, and we spray mold release on the receiver, and lug so they come out of the bedding together. I've also purposely only mold released the receiver to bed the lug in. When I want to run multiple actions in the same stock, this method works great (providing you stone off a hair of material from the lug to allow them to separate easily).

-Ian

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Oh boy, this is gonna cost me

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I want one!

M
M
Sorry, I forgot to add that the magazine box inner lengths are 3.15" for the short action, 3.4" and 3.65" for the long action (the -06 length box has an integrated spacer in the back, but the body and receiver interface are the same). I usually recommend giving yourself .040-.060 space between max COAL and box length to keep things moving in the cartridge stack.

When we acquired the company, it included the parts inventory, so I'm working around existing magazine boxes at the moment. I'm going to have a new LA magnum box made that will accommodate the 300 PRC's 3.70 max COAL when the time comes.

-Ian

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I assume the pricing you quoted above for a completed rifle, what do you figure the action price will be?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MRC_Ian
We bed the actions with Devcon epoxy front and rear. The lug and all receiver surfaces are drafted forward and laterally to allow release from the bedding compound. The flat recoil bearing surfaces are left flat for proper load transfer. The lug to receiver fit is quite tight, and we spray mold release on the receiver, and lug so they come out of the bedding together. I've also purposely only mold released the receiver to bed the lug in. When I want to run multiple actions in the same stock, this method works great (providing you stone off a hair of material from the lug to allow them to separate easily).

-Ian

Love to see a picture of this if you have time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Left hand, stainless, quality synthetic stock, built in picitinny rail, with a street cost of no more than $2,000 and you can sell three to me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think that is an interesting and surprising configuration for an initial offering. It is shockingly close to a build I’ve been putting together in my head for a 5 digit classic stainless 7 mag I have sitting in the safe. I’m not sure how well it will speak to the general CRF market, but I’m interested in a 7 prc.

As for price, based on what you describe I see the value from 2-3k. However, I think as you move towards 3k in price you will rapidly lose people’s interest as it moves into the “well for a bit more I can build it EXACTLY my way” territory. Close to $2k it’s a no brainer if you want a long range style CRF rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Unless I am missing the picture, I only see 2 part integral rail.

Scroll down and you'll also see a picture of one with no rail; Talley LWs holding the scope.

I'd go the Talley route if it came chambered in something of my liking.

As it's chambered I'd take a pass with a note that some of the old favorites are still my favorites.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pictures.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
New video and updated cartridge list looks promising.

CALIBER
6.5 Creedmoor – Coming Soon
308 Win – Coming Soon
6.5 PRC – Coming Soon
300 Win Mag – Coming Soon
300 Rem Ultra Mag – Coming Soon
7mm Rem Mag – Coming Soon
7mm PRC – Coming Soon
28 Nosler – Coming Soon
280 Ackley – Coming Soon
270 Win – Coming Soon
375 H&H – Coming Soon

Last edited by Woodsman1991; 05/09/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What? No 35 Whelen, no 35 Remington or even a 358 Winchester? Tell the new owners to leave plenty of meat in them skinny bores for a decent JES rebore job. A plain jane 280 Remington would have been cool, but they forgot that one too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've no idea about the rep groups but I sure wish there was at least a run of left hand limited options where folks could at least pre-order even if has to be thru a distributor. This would be ideal for your left hand runs to have the majority all pre sold and that way you wouldn't have to worry about low or slow sales. Anyway, that's how I'd handle the left hand issue. It alright to trickle some occadi9nally on the market but pre paid runs would be the way to go.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
A plain jane 280 Remington would have been cool, but they forgot that one too.

Why would they do a “plain Jane” .280 when they already have a “plain Jane” .280 AI? You can shoot “plain Jane” .280 out of the AI chamber and you’d never know that it was AI until you looked at your fire formed brass. 😀. You’d have the best of both worlds….a .280 and the option to hot rod it by going AI. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They are missing the one chambering that all others wish they were….a .338 Win Mag. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
They are missing the one chambering that all others wish they were….a .338 Win Mag. 😉
A glaring omission for sure.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ian,

Thanks for the information on your design. By 98 barrel ring and feed cone, I assume that you mean that the action will have the Mauser c-ring or c-collar and not a coned breech?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/10/23.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,168 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.