Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Almost forgot this one. Aomori area scallops on the halfshell. They are partially shucked, with some slightly unsavory bits taken out, but with the skirt any roe left in. Broiled for 8 minutes in their own juice. Out of oven and plated. On top goes a small tab of butter, a few chopped scallions, a drop or two of soy and some fresh cracked black pepper. I inhaled them as one would an oyster. Shell shape made that feat a bit challenging, but I'm persistent and made it happen. Burned my mouth with the first two, but it was worth it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why ya gotta be mean kg?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You should come big pike fishing w/ tip up's at LOW, in the spring.

It's a blast!

Northern pike is one of the best eating fresh water fish there is, once you learn how to get the bones out.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Wow! The vendors obviously liked your wife’s style and the way she interacts with other people, since they picked her to gift with the gourmet food.

I LOVE scallops. Rock scallops are my favorite, and I like them sliced about 1/3 of an inch thin and sauteed in butter for maybe 30 seconds on a side. Baked gently on the shell by a real chef with the right combo of spices is equally good. And… they are just GOOD, even raw.

Totally agree that scallops are one of those few things that are every bit as good raw as cooked. Never tried rock scallops, but I sure would like to. wink

Why are they called rock scallops? I'll probably regret asking, but... They are often found around rock piles, maybe?

This gig was a unique one. She normally just wears one hat in her profession, but stepped up for the company in a bunch of ways, as they were short-staffed. She managed to facilitate a bunch of sales for them, which is totally not her job. One of which was a sale agreement she nailed for five tons of a certain scallop product to be delivered every three months for the next 24 months from Japan to Canada. She earns her keep.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pal
Nice gift Leighton!

Have had scallops prepared in many different ways. But the best I ever ate were eaten raw, right from the shell, after having just pried them off their rock, seawater still dripping off my wetsuit.
You must be thinking of abalone... scallops are free-swimmers. They drag a bunch of chains along the bottom to scare them up so the trawl can scoop them.

SD is almost certainly correct on this, unless there are scallops that identify as abalone, oysters or mussels...

wink

No. Sorry. You are both wrong on this. California rock scallops.

This video shows how they are taken--pried off a rock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+rock+scallops&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS772US772&sxsrf=AJOqlzU14gG9H1gGrzPt4vy9ZyWiqgEK4Q%3A1679106388736&ei=VCEVZKTFLK2Qur8Pq9yMkAE&ved=0ahUKEwikv9zetuT9AhUtiO4BHSsuAxIQ4dUDCBE&uact=5&oq=california+rock+scallops&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIECAAQHjIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgM6BAgAEEc6BwgjELACECc6BggAEAcQHjoGCAAQHhANOggIABAIEB4QDUoECEEYAFC1C1jLGmDuIWgAcAJ4AIABfogB9AOSAQMyLjOYAQCgAQHIAQbAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ba77fb64,vid:7udEQr2W7Yo,st:236

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by pal
No. Sorry. You are both wrong on this. California rock scallops.

This video shows how they are taken--pried off a rock.

Well hey now, learn something new every day. My apologies sir, and thanks for spreading the knowledge. No farming and no commercial fishery means you have to love them, know how and where to find them, have the gear to do so AND be willing to risk your bacon to do so. That's dedication!

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-jul-27-tm-entertaining30-story.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pal
Nice gift Leighton!

Have had scallops prepared in many different ways. But the best I ever ate were eaten raw, right from the shell, after having just pried them off their rock, seawater still dripping off my wetsuit.
You must be thinking of abalone... scallops are free-swimmers. They drag a bunch of chains along the bottom to scare them up so the trawl can scoop them.

SD is almost certainly correct on this, unless there are scallops that identify as abalone, oysters or mussels...

wink
Gentlemen.

Perhaps pal is referencing rock scallops. Free swimming when younger, attach to a surface and become sessile later in life:

this is about BC, and I think for a more southern species, but a quick search shows AK has a version too

https://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/rock-scallop-bull-crassodoma-gigantea.html

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oops, I see pal provided some info while I was finding the webpage and typing.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...My apologies sir...

No problem KG.

I have taken them while diving off my own boats as well as commercial dive boats, using scuba gear, and can attest that they are indeed a delicacy. BTW I have taken and eaten many many abalones and could never mistake one for the other. Though also a delicacy, abalones are a LOT of work to go through before you get to eat them; you have to pound the living hell out of them, with an abalone hammer, to tenderize them. Not so with scallops, which can easily be eaten just as you get them.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pal covered it.

When I was diving California in the '70's I made a scallop bar from a Model A leaf spring, specially shaped to pry rock scallops off of rock reefs. One time, and only once, I got all the scallops I could eat. Long time ago found my self in an Indian village way north and far from any source of info on game laws, limits, etc. -- and an extreme minus tide with never gathered huge scallops covering the exposed rocks.

And ditto to Pal, abalone are not anything close enough to a rock scallop for anyone familiar with them to ever mistake one for the other.

Last edited by Okanagan; 03/17/23. Reason: afterthot
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My dad and uncles were all BIG time abalone divers…. I did it a few times but didn’t enjoy it as much…. My brothers loved it… go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️ I damn sure loved eating them though and with all of them getting plenty I always had some…. Sucks we may never be able to get a season again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L,

that fish was quite the score too.

And what a lucky man you are, all that lunch deliciousness just for you!

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
...My apologies sir...

No problem KG.

I have taken them while diving off my own boats as well as commercial dive boats, using scuba gear, and can attest that they are indeed a delicacy. BTW I have taken and eaten many many abalones and could never mistake one for the other. Though also a delicacy, abalones are a LOT of work to go through before you get to eat them; you have to pound the living hell out of them, with an abalone hammer, to tenderize them. Not so with scallops, which can easily be eaten just as you get them.
My apologies as well for starting things! And thank you for the insight.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whoa! Mama hit the mother load!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just get the small Bay Scallops here.
Like most all my saltwater seafoods, they are caught and cooked fresh.
How do those monster Sea Scallops compare for taste when prepared fresh?

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good eating

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

[Linked Image]

They are incredible.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
SCALLOPS . . . nothing more need be said!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
T
Small world, I actually exhibit at this show every year. Its an amazing gathering of seafood vendors and processing companies from all over the world. You need a couple days to take it all in

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JeffA

[Linked Image]

SD seemed to very much approve when I threw a plate together for him with locally sourced (to me) sweet corn, fresh sea scallops poached in lemon and garlic butter and Grand Banks swordfish last October. And of course we started with clam chowdah. Gotta' have the chowdah when serving good folks a New England seafood meal. I even remembered to bring oyster crackers.

I've never tried any warmwater scallops from down FL way. Frankly, I hadn't even realized you guys had them down there and don't recall ever seeing them on a menu. Have had all manner of fantastic finfish and stone crabs and tons of other tasty wonders of the sea, but never scallops. Next time for sure. For the sake of science and experimentation, of course. wink Are they farmed down there? Seasonal fishery? Either way, great smiles and nice little haul! Thanks for sharing, Jeff.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,179
Posts18,484,697
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.