Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by steve4102
I’m a bit befuddled with all of YOU saying it’s too loud, so you cut it off or sold it.

Did you not look into the CR first?

As I said, my rifle came with both. One round with the ported and I installed the CR.

My stuff that's threaded wear cans.
Cool, are they adjustable for accuracy?

Last edited by steve4102; 03/18/23.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My son’s New Haven Model 70 Classic Stainless .338 Win Mag has one. Other than a Boyd’s laminate stock, it’s “as is“ from the factory.

Yes, it’s loud with the ported cap.

We spent a Saturday dialing it in with three different loads, using 200 grain Ballistic Tips, 225 grain Accubonds, and 250 grain Partitions. Between the two of us, we fired 60-70 rounds through it.

We were both wearing earplugs and muffs, so had the ported cap installed. After a day of that much shooting full pressure rounds that many times, the reduced recoil was appreciated.

We found a setting for each load that got two 3 shot groups of one hole. The settings are written down so the Boss can be adjusted easily for each load.

A couple weeks later, we put everything to the test with the CR cap in place. 250 yard, 5 shot groups for each load, adjusting to our recorded settings.

The largest group was 1.72”. It works.

I have never seen a factory stock, run of the mill production rifle this accurate with multiple loads. Ever.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an A-Bolt II in .30/06, with the BOSS-CR fitted. It didn't take long to tune it in to my preferred loads, and so tuned it is the most accurate rifle I own, consistently putting 5 rounds through one hole at 100 m.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have a lefty 300WM A-Bolt Medallion w/ BOSS. Sub MOA all day. I don't have a CR sleeve. I also don't have many friends at the range anymore.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Have a lefty 300WM A-Bolt Medallion w/ BOSS. Sub MOA all day. I don't have a CR sleeve. I also don't have many friends at the range anymore.

lol

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Have a M70 30/06, it takes some shooting & experimenting but it will shoot great groups with every bullet I tried. Bought a M70 22/250 from a member here with the same results. It's as loud as the previous posters claim but it does tame the recoil a bunch.

Similar setup in my 30-06. Very accurate but loud as hell

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Proven fact in this thread .... Internet pussies posting that the BOSS is loud ....

Did it occur to you that common safe gun usage involves wearing ear protection ?

Your two mommies didn't teach you that ? WTF kind of parents you got, a couple of dykes ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Proven fact in this thread .... Internet pussies posting that the BOSS is loud ....

Did it occur to you that common safe gun usage involves wearing ear protection ?

Your two mommies didn't teach you that ? WTF kind of parents you got, a couple of dykes ?

No kidding? But I generally don’t have time to slip on my ear protection when a whitetail buck is sneaking quickly through and doesn’t give me time to put on ear protection. If you make the shot, with a BOSS you can’t hear for the rest of the day.

You do you, but my guns don’t need a boss to shoot a good group, maybe your Browning does. But the recoil doesn’t bother me so I fail to see the appeal.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
…like it, got one?

I have one on a Safari in 300 WSM
This is a three shot group with my BOSS equipped Bar Safari 300 WSM 180gr Nosler Partitions at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you shoot a rifle with any kind or brake on it, it will be loud. With the BOSS you have the ability to use the brake or the conventional end piece... your choice. They shoot the same.

I have 3 BOSS rifles currently and they are stupid accurate. Instead of tuning a load to your gun, you tune the gun to the load. This is the brilliance of the gun and the reason the design won the Popular Mechanics award

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
If you shoot a rifle with any kind or brake on it, it will be loud. With the BOSS you have the ability to use the brake or the conventional end piece... your choice. They shoot the same.

I have 3 BOSS rifles currently and they are stupid accurate. Instead of tuning a load to your gun, you tune the gun to the load. This is the brilliance of the gun and the reason the design won the Popular Mechanics award

Yep. Just load your favorite bullet for the task, X bullet or whatever to the nuts and tune the BOSS.

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cfran

No kidding? But I generally don’t have time to slip on my ear protection when a whitetail buck is sneaking quickly through and doesn’t give me time to put on ear protection. If you make the shot, with a BOSS you can’t hear for the rest of the day.

You do you, but my guns don’t need a boss to shoot a good group, maybe your Browning does. But the recoil doesn’t bother me so I fail to see the appeal.
Well my rifles get shot in the field as much as at the range, so loud is a big factor ! and as much fun as it is to kill paper all day we all know that shooting those very small groups off a bench , that very tight accuracy is not in play when you are shooting off hand in the field . so for tight groups it is what it is in a real hunting situation. dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jar

Well my rifles get shot in the field as much as at the range, so loud is a big factor ! and as much fun as it is to kill paper all day we all know that shooting those very small groups off a bench , that very tight accuracy is not in play when you are shooting off hand in the field . so for tight groups it is what it is in a real hunting situation. dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .
Funny schit right there.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jar
…dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .

Or, if you have a minute-of-8.5”x11” rifle, you’ll never know if a miss or a bad hit was you or the rifle. I prefer to eliminate the rifle variable and put the blame square on myself, good or bad.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by jar
…dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .

Or, if you have a minute-of-8.5”x11” rifle, you’ll never know if a miss or a bad hit was you or the rifle. I prefer to eliminate the rifle variable and put the blame square on myself, good or bad.
Yup.

You would think most shooters/hunters would already know this, guess not.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

That happened to me a few years ago. Instant deafness and ringing, I saw stars it was so loud. I like the gun and it's super accurate, but I think I'm gonna get the unported version from MWG.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 03/20/23.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nasty Muzzle brake and not as effective as other muzzle brakes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Effective in what way, accuracy fine turning or recoil reduction.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce recoil. I hear all kinds of guys shooting uber magnums with every conceivable muzzle break at my range. I have yet to hear one sound as nasty as a Boss in a rifle chambered for a 7mag. Most muzzle brakes are .010 over bullet diameter, I think the browning Boss exceeds that by a good amount.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce recoil. I hear all kinds of guys shooting uber magnums with every conceivable muzzle break at my range. I have yet to hear one sound as nasty as a Boss in a rifle chambered for a 7mag. Most muzzle brakes are .010 over bullet diameter, I think the browning Boss exceeds that by a good amount.

The BOSS is not a muzzle brake, so you are comparing apples to rocks.

BOSS stands for Browning's Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System. The BOSS simply tunes the vibrations of your barrel. It comes in two variations, a ported one that can double as a break and a solid one that has no ports and no break capability.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,457
Posts18,529,114
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.