Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
hardway Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Only reason I was leaning 22-250 is because I have a ton of brass and dies already but what the hell.... When in Rome right 😉

My concern with the 22Creedmoor is it seemed like the brass was out of stock everywhere last time I looked.... I guess if I keep my eye out I can probably score some between now and when the rifle is done.... we'll see. As for twist..... I think I'll just go 8" and be done with it.... I get bored and ask questions I probably know the answer to but this its been raining and this is the digital version of the coffee shop lol. Thank you all.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hardway
Only reason I was leaning 22-250 is because I have a ton of brass and dies already but what the hell.... When in Rome right 😉

My concern with the 22Creedmoor is it seemed like the brass was out of stock everywhere last time I looked.... I guess if I keep my eye out I can probably score some between now and when the rifle is done.... we'll see. As for twist..... I think I'll just go 8" and be done with it.... I get bored and ask questions I probably know the answer to but this its been raining and this is the digital version of the coffee shop lol. Thank you all.

A lot of guys saying to go with the 22-250. That makes a lot of sense if you have a "ton" of brass and dies etc. If just wanting to try something new, you only live once. The 22CM would be fun to play around with as well. Do you have another 22-250 you can use that brass in? Just keep in mind, the initial cost to get more new brass, and a new die set for a new cartridge, is going to be a couple hundy out of your budget as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ryan

I'm glad you decided to go with an 8 twist. It opens up just about every door. I'm assuming you need to hunt with lead free, right?

If you are sitting on a bunch of 22-250 brass (that's good quality) and dies I can see the appeal of going that route. Out to 300 yards it would be more than plenty.

The flip side is you will get quite a bit more speed out of a 22 Creedmoor. I've had both in 1 in 8s and there is a good 200 to 250 fps gain in the creed with 75 grain bullets.

As to 22 Creedmoor brass, 6mm Creedmoor brass is pretty available and necks down really easy.

Keep us posted

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a FN M70 SA and a 1-7 Hawk Hill ready to go. Just need to pick a stock up for is. No question, the 22 Creed for the chambering..

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I need to go on and order a 1-7” now rather than wait until I need it. I doubt the wait time gets shorter or price goes down.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

If Hammer bullets are possibley in your future I'd go 7"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 22-250 AI built last year on a Montana with a Lilja 1-7 and love that rifle. The reason I went with the 22-250 AI was that I had some good quality 22-250 fireformed brass and this barrel was chambered with the same reamer that the brass was fireformed with. I also had good dies.

6 Months later I am waiting on Pac-Nor to finish making my 1-7 lightweight barrel to put on a new SS 700 action thanks to Offshoreman. Chamber will be 22 Creed to be mounted in a 18 oz MPI that I bought on this site. I bought a Forrester FL sizer and will use my Redding 22-250 seater. Yes it works.

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference velocity wise of the 2 chamberings as both will be 22". I am betting the critters I shoot with each won't be able to tell the difference.

The Creed makes a lot of sense but sense when does making sense have anything to do with rifle builds

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 03/21/23.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
The Creed makes a lot of but sense when does making sense have anything to do with rifle builds

No kidding, but as my hair turns whiter, sense has been coming into play a lot more. cool

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dude270
Ryan

I'm glad you decided to go with an 8 twist. It opens up just about every door. I'm assuming you need to hunt with lead free, right?

If you are sitting on a bunch of 22-250 brass (that's good quality) and dies I can see the appeal of going that route. Out to 300 yards it would be more than plenty.

The flip side is you will get quite a bit more speed out of a 22 Creedmoor. I've had both in 1 in 8s and there is a good 200 to 250 fps gain in the creed with 75 grain bullets.

As to 22 Creedmoor brass, 6mm Creedmoor brass is pretty available and necks down really easy.

Keep us posted

Thanks for the advice.... PS.... How is that 223 Mountain rifle doin 🤔..... kind of miss that one lol 🤣

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Oh it's still doing its thing! Super handy rifle.

I think a montana in a big 22 is an awesome idea. I had one rebarreled to 22-25O AI quite a few years ago and foolishly sold it.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
6 Months later I am waiting on Pac-Nor to finish making my 1-7 lightweight barrel to put on a new SS 700 action thanks to Offshoreman. Chamber will be 22 Creed to be mounted in a 18 oz MPI that I bought on this site. I bought a Forrester FL sizer and will use my Redding 22-250 seater. Yes it works.

It's Forster dangit! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

It's Forster dangit! grin

I've been saying it wrong for 40 years. I'll not do that again. You made me go look though.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I plan to re-barrel a Kimber Montana to 22-250 (still debating AI or not).... my question is. This rifle will be primarily used for deer and hogs at less than 300 yards.... I know the smart thing to do is 7 or 8 twist so I can shoot heavies but will that twist limit me on being able to shoot 55 gr bullets?

I'm so tempted to see what a 55gr ttsx does at nuke speed on game..... I've shot a few with the 223 9 twist and same bullet and it gets the job done for sure but I can't help but think another 5-600fps will give me that "struck by lightning " effect 😉

Anyone have experience with this combo? Just go 7 twist and don't worry about it?

not reading the entire thread...

however I have a 22.250 I put a one in 7 twist Pac Nor, heavy magnum contour barrel on it..

Minus a few bullets like the SPSX Hornadys, it will shoot most bullets out there on the market...

With a 55 gr TTSX, you'll have one real bad ass round... I've talked to a few guys here and there that use it for elk even.
it will certain take down ANY deer than ever walked anywhere in North America...

The folks I've talked to that have used the TTSX on elk are older guys and can't handle the big boomers anymore..
but the round and rifle also get used by their grandsons and grand Daughters... I haven't taken mine elk hunting because I have a bunch of bigger calibers...
But a TTSX in about any caliber is certainly going to "do business" on most anything you shoot with it... except maybe an Abrams Tank....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 8-twist 22-250, my best load so far is with 40 grain Vmax
½" @ 200 yards.
A 7 twist might be too much for the 40s but probably great for the 55s

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have a 8-twist 22-250, my best load so far is with 40 grain Vmax
½" @ 200 yards.
A 7 twist might be too much for the 40s but probably great for the 55s

That's one tight 200 yard group. Congrats!

Good to know. Someday the Remington barrel on mine is going to give up, but I wasn't sure a new, 1:8 twist barrel would work with bullets that light.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you guys for the help but I've decided to just re-barrel my 223 instead.... this rifle shoots really well as is (308 win) so between the 2 it made the most sense to do the other one 🤘🏻

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thank you guys for the help but I've decided to just re-barrel my 223 instead.... this rifle shoots really well as is (308 win) so between the 2 it made the most sense to do the other one 🤘🏻

My 1:8 22-250 Montana started life as a .308Win, but, I never shot the donor..... It's easily hands-down my favorite "all-purpose truck-gun". It's accurate enough for varmints to 600+ and fast/handy enough to dispatch skunks in the ditch, light enough to not worry about a sling when you need to grab-and-go.

1:8 Lilja 3-groove factory Montana duplicate bbl contour @ 22".

Last edited by horse1; 04/03/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have done barrel jobs on several 22-250s for hunters here in Wyoming. The 1-9 seems to give us the best results overall.

The added speed of the 22-250 over the 223 means the faster 1-8 or 1-7 do nothing for you except build pressure. A 1-9 keeps 69 grain Sierras stable and accurate past 1000 yards. They also have done very well with 55-60 grain bullets.

Last edited by szihn; 04/03/23.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by szihn
I have done barrel jobs on several 22-250s for hunters here in Wyoming. The 1-9 seems to give us the best results overall.

The added speed of the 22-250 over the 223 means the faster 1-8 or 1-7 do nothing for you except build pressure. A 1-9 keeps 69 grain Sierras stable and accurate past 1000 yards. They also have done very well with 55-60 grain bullets.

More twist doesn't increase pressure

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I plan to re-barrel a Kimber Montana to 22-250 (still debating AI or not).... my question is. This rifle will be primarily used for deer and hogs at less than 300 yards.... I know the smart thing to do is 7 or 8 twist so I can shoot heavies but will that twist limit me on being able to shoot 55 gr bullets?

I'm so tempted to see what a 55gr ttsx does at nuke speed on game..... I've shot a few with the 223 9 twist and same bullet and it gets the job done for sure but I can't help but think another 5-600fps will give me that "struck by lightning " effect 😉

Anyone have experience with this combo? Just go 7 twist and don't worry about it?
Split the difference and go with a 10 twist. The Ruger American Predators carry the 10 twist.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 406_SBC, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.