-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 2 Labradars. If I miss a shot its my fault.
I have registered 17 cal on up.
I can pull up an early shot session, and add to it. or delete single shots.I must have a special one.
Goes to show some people can read instructions, some complain
I can pull out the 35P for shots over 4000, which is once every 5 yrs.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I moved from a Shoot' Chrony to a Labradar about 4 years ago. The Labradar is a big step up in convenience, for sure. I miss fewer shots with the Labradar, too. It does have its limitations, like sometimes not reliably reading small bullets and won't read much over 3900fps, but for most of my shooting, it works great. It is so easy to use that I pretty much always have it set up when target shooting. Works great for archery, too. Be aware that there are other doppler radar chronographs coming onto the market that may be worth looking at.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

T
tomt53 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
This is some great info!!!Thanks for sharing.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tomt53
RickBin, just thinking out loud. Could you use multiple SD cards. Just switch out when you change guns. I too bring several guns when I go to the range.
Shoot a couple of strings, merge them together in excel and you've got your data. It ain't rocket surgery...
The guys I know that shoot the "ELR" use Labradar to verify their velocity data.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tomt53
RickBin, just thinking out loud. Could you use multiple SD cards. Just switch out when you change guns. I too bring several guns when I go to the range.
This was the suggestion made to me by the LR folks when I asked about it. Pretty silly to lack the ability to go back and add to previous strings, if you ask me.

IC B2

O
O
I have had a Labradar for about five years and generally like it. The one SERIOUS ISSUE I have with it is that their software only works with Microsoft. My computer and cell phone are Apple and I can neither upgrade my software nor can I download ballistic data to my computer. I have discussed these problems with Labradar numerous times over the years but they do not seem interested in correcting them. Maybe some competition will motivate the company to address this.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my thought is when Mule Deer finds a Radar Chronograph that works on all bullets including boat tails that reads up too around 4200 FPS every time i am in. > before i got old i liked fast women but now days at my age i like fast bullets and a good chronograph that works and doesn`t lie.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have posted this before, but I bought one a few years ago to see what the deal was. Loved it for about six months, but as the Labradar people admit it didn't read bullets under .22 caliber, or over 3900 fps.

Then I went to the range one day with a 6mm rifle and a bunch of loads for a magazine assignment--and it wouldn't read the base of a very streamlined boattail, no doubt because it was so tiny. And it was reading other bullets, not just in that rifle but others, so was "aimed" right.

So I had to finish the range session with a light-screen chronograph I also had along. Went home and put the Labradar up for sale on the Campfire Classifieds.

If they ever fix those problems would buy another--and they work fine for shooters who don't have such a wide range of requirements.
John,

Is there any chance your battery was getting weak when this happened? I have been reading many streamlined .224” and 6mm bullet with the LR, including the .224” 75gr ELD-M and AM, 6mm 108gr ELD-M, 112gr Matchburner, 115gr DTAC, etc., with nary a missed shot. But I have noticed more than once that if I let my power bank get too low, the LR doesn’t alert me to the fact that the radar signal is getting weak, and it starts to miss some of the more challenging bullets to pick up. Swap in a charged power bank and it’s back to business as usual.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Labradars? Was a good breed until they got popular, and then the breeders/puppymill bunch pretty well ran them into a genetic mess.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LeeC
I can pull up an early shot session, and add to it…I must have a special one.
Goes to show some people can read instructions, some complain
Interesting. I’d love to know how you manage to do that. Even the LR folks couldn’t answer that for me, and simply suggested using different SD cards for different loads/rifles.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You will have to ask John, as he is the authority on matters of this importance.
Just a flea on a dog here..

Originally Posted by Ovt84
I have had a Labradar for about five years and generally like it. The one SERIOUS ISSUE I have with it is that their software only works with Microsoft. My computer and cell phone are Apple and I can neither upgrade my software nor can I download ballistic data to my computer. I have discussed these problems with Labradar numerous times over the years but they do not seem interested in correcting them. Maybe some competition will motivate the company to address this.

Are you guys really that dense.. Open office, and Libre office works on both platforms, and is free.I am a Libre guy myself........Google dude

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
public range = Labradar

I have a magneto speed but it's a big pita to swap

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BIG thumbs up on Open office.

Originally Posted by LeeC
You will have to ask John, as he is the authority on matters of this importance.
Just a flea on a dog here..

Originally Posted by Ovt84

Are you guys really that dense.. Open office, and Libre office works on both platforms, and is free.I am a Libre guy myself........Google dude

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by richj
public range = Labradar

I have a magneto speed but it's a big pita to swap

Not if you use a separate mount for the MS, as some shooters do, rather than putting it on the barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few months ago I was shooting a few positions over from a guy running a Labradar. I forget what I was shooting, but my shots kept getting picked up by his LR when they were fired at about the same time as his. He started waiting for me to fire before he did to prevent the interference. IIRC, he finally realigned the thing somewhat which seemed to help; at least he stopped fussing about it.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
It seems bulletseeker is a directly competing product. It would be great to find someone with first hand experience using that before committing to labradar. I don't have either, but I am shopping.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Is there any chance your battery was getting weak when this happened?

Good point, Jordan. I have observed the LR doing funny things like missing shots or giving the odd reading when battery has been, unwittingly, low.

Last time I used it, on a fully charged power bank, I used it simultaneously with a Magneto Speed, over a 22-250 with 77 TMK and 88 ELD.

The readings with the LR were consistently higher. An average of 35 fps higher in the TMKs and an average of 15 fps higher in the ELDMs. By consistently I mean that they were higher, and close to that average, in all individual shots and not just in the average with individual reading spreads being all over the place.

Alvaro

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A few months ago I was shooting a few positions over from a guy running a Labradar. I forget what I was shooting, but my shots kept getting picked up by his LR when they were fired at about the same time as his. He started waiting for me to fire before he did to prevent the interference. IIRC, he finally realigned the thing somewhat which seemed to help; at least he stopped fussing about it.
All he had to do was change the triggering sensitivity by a couple of numbers and he would have been good to go...

We've used them during prone rifle matches to get large shot strings in and don't have triggering issues. 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The readings with the LR were consistently higher.

I recently put together a 300 Ham'r and have been following Bill Wilson's writings on the cartridge. He has reported the same thing, I believe along the lines of 20 fps, in general.

I have one, along with a Magnetospeed and an Oehler 35, and to keep things consistent, have pretty much relied on the Magnetospeed to get velocities with that cartridge due to that's what I started load development with.

The MS and the Oehler agree with each other within a couple fps, so I'll have to directly compare the MS and LR as the subject of a range visit....Damn, that means I'll have to shoot some more. Bummer....

The LR sure is convenient and I really like being able to calculate real-life BC.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
[quote]The LR is convenient and I really like being able to calculate real-life BC.

Do you mean by calculating BC both at the muzzle and 100 yards? This doesn't actually work--except for calculating BC out to 100 yards.

Ballistic coefficient tends to drop a lower retained velocities. (No, it isn't a fixed number, as many shooters believe.) This is why some bullet companies got into a little bit of trouble after high-BC bullets became the trend. The traditional way to calculate BC was to chronograph bullets both at the muzzle and 100 or maybe 200 yards, but this doesn't work for 500+ yard shooting, because the calculation provided a BC that . Which is why bullet companies started using calculations using actual retained velocity results at extended ranges--and Oehler developed their Model 89 for obtaining actual long-range results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 31 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,354
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.