Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Say Ladies and Gents,<P>Mrs. Waders brought up a good point in a post down below, about how we feel about meeting each other in real life.<P>I know of at least one other regular here, who's wife expressed the same misgivings about her husband going off to meet strangers in the woods.<P>My wife sort of worried a little when me, tex, Spike, and toons-hubby were scheduled to meet this Fall. But I felt okay about it. When I told my co-workers, they asked if we had meet on gayhunters.com! [Linked Image] I took some ribbing for awhile. Toons-hubby told me he heard the same stuff from his friends.<P>I was wondering what kind of things have gone through your heads, when getting ready to meet with each other?<P><P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody has given me any ****,maybe I'm doing something wrong?!?........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BW,<P>LOL! Yeah, I know where you are coming from. Last April I arranged with Jim Hackiewicz that he bring over a couple of scopes for me. I spent the 3 hours driving to the ranch wondering what I was going to say and how we would "interact" (sounds terrible don't it?)<P>Well I need not have worried, It went fine. I think you are more concerned about how you yourself will come across to the other guy, rather than how he will seem to you. Does that make sense?<P>I have found that most (99% - Cody made up the other 1%) of people who hunt and converse on these boards are not Jerry Springer candidates and they have values and ethics that are congruent (not necessarily identical!) with your own. If they were identical there'd be no conversation and who wants to talk to someone who agrees with everything you say?<P>If you have that as a kick off point you are off to a good start.<P>Cheers<P>Pete

Pete M<P>I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shucks,I was censored(grin). I have had zero trouble,in getting along with people,of ALL walks. Much of that I attribute,to common sense,the remainder to social interaction. Tramp Logging,is a sure way,to learn how to get along with most types of people. Nothing like flying to a remote Camp,unpacking all your gear,and just barging in! Treat people with respect,have thick skin,and chalk it ALL up to adventure. I have been to some neat places,and met many "colorful" characters. Everybody,should be so lucky. I learned long ago,that being shy,will get you nowhere...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I met Paul (458 Lott) and Pete (pak) in Los Anchorage a few months ago, the surprise, I suppose if it could be called that, is they didn't look much like what I had imagined them to look like.<BR>I imagined Paul close, but not exactly. Paul looks like a classic Alaskan guide, with his beard, the clothing he wore, the hefty frame he embodies, etc. looking like he could conquer any mountain, with a fifty pound pack. I often wonder if JJ looks like this. <BR>Now, Pete was different, I had invisioned him to be Native. He is not. He paid for the soda's we dranked, as we talked. He's a nice guy, and honest appearence about him. Taller, thinner, full of smiles. Would have liked to talked to him more, though. An interesting guy. He knows my uncle.<BR>I suppose we all have visions of what people look like before we meet them, or see pictures of them, just by the way the talk on their posts, what they talk about, etc. <BR>Consider what you envision me to look like....... <== 'Stick ending ~~~Suluuq

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am sure there are weird ones out there but I just never worry about it. As they say that is what the 44 was invented for [Linked Image]. From other experiences I can pretty well guarantee that who you meet isn't going to be the way you pictured them to be. I have had the pleasure to meet face to face with two posters and am glad for the experience. Wish it was possible to meet some more. You can never say you really know someone untill you look them between the eyes.<BR>BCR<P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME

Quando Omni Moritati
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BW: I remember my family being aghast when I was going to Alaska last year.<P>Best line???<P>Gee..... You have never met any of these guy??? Don't you worry about something happening like that movie "Deliverance" but set in Alaska???? (LOL)<P>I have met a number of you in person, and talked to even more on the phone, and haven't had a bad experience yet.<P>Thanks Guys<P>tex<BR>

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, ole "no" has met three from the board and it has been plesant on all accounts. Boggy and I are planning a hunt in WY this year if we can draw a license. I met Rocklock his little boy, (6'4" over 200 pounds), his beautiful wife, at a gun show. Tom looked like a very clean cut succesful business man, which he is. And then there is Tex, with his red boots and clown suit. We have met for lunch a couple of times, he is always ready to eat, drink, and make Mary,(Robin I'm just kidding), speaking of Robin,(beautiful), don't know how she puts up with Mark. He is Mr Hyper himself, something always moving, always entertaining, as dependable as the wind, you never know which way he is going. He is sentemental, careing, concerned, but has a serious falt. Thinks rifles only come in 375 H&H and larger. He could make Scrooge laugh. I was in public business many years and never hesitate to meet someone new, they might be a new GOOD friend. You know, they are just a handshake away. I have offered to meet people at the gun shows but Rocklock is the only one to actually show up, like Boggy says, guess I scare them off. Guess I got used to seeing what's in the mirror. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have met two posters from the board so far Shiester and Mulie Stalker and both of them are great guys. I understand the feeling of meeting someone you have only met thru the internet it is a little un-nerving to say the least. I have not met Needone yet buy have talked to him on the phone a few times. hope to get down to Texas in May and visit with him. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've probably met as many guys as any from these boards with my trip last April to Africa and the Shooterslam. You sometimes wonder if you will find a couple of guys out of that many that turn out to be a little "off center" or not what you expected.<BR>So far, I've had no problems and people I've met from the boards have all been top notch, reliable, and without question great guys. The fact that we all have a few things in common anyway helps to ease the initial meeting, but I've found that most of the guys I've met have a much more interesting personality beyond just the hunting and fishing side. I've made some very good friends here and met them in person with the same results. I guess, in a way, the board helps us to weed out the ones we probably wouldn't volunteer to meet and after awhile we are able to make a fairly informed decision about what kind of people we are conversing with in cyberspace- long before meeting them in person. <BR>Most of the people I've met haven't looked like I envisioned, but that didn't make the experience any less enjoyable. I hope you guys have (or make) an opportunity to meet as many guys from the board as possible, it really is a worthwhile experience. <BR>BTW, Big Stick, if a guy with a rifle and fishing pole shows up on your doorstep one day out of the blue, it will probably be me! [Linked Image]-Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rusty Gunn you can go to JJ's site and gaze on his mugshot!!<P>I have met so far badger and littlebit. You can see there pictures on the other thread we had going somewhere on this board. I think I e-mailed a picture to most of you of my wedding party. <P>I was surprised at most of the people Imet and saw pictures of not looking what I thought, but that's life.<P>Mike<P>P.S. I hope to eventually meet/hunt with all of you!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is actually pretty funny. I remember the first time I met someone from a hunt forum. Some of you may know him from other sites his net name is Greenhorn. Anyway we met on a rainy day just off the highway outside of Bozeman. Our reason for meeting was to do a little black bear hunting. We ran up the canyon changed into hunting clothes and took off hunting...rain and all. When we got back to the pick up after dark all soaking wet he mentioned he needed to call his girlfriend and let her know that I wasn't a Charles Manson clone. I laughed because my wife had made a very similar comment just before I took off on this hunt. I called my wife shortly after he called his girlfriend and let her know that I was alive and well, and that Greenhorn was not some kind of axe murderer. That was 5 years ago and since we have become very good friends and hunt together every year. It's a friendship I highly value and would of never happened without the net. I've also had the priviledge of meeting Brad and Flinch from this site. Both seem to be top drawer kind of people. Big Stick and I will be teaming up for bear in two months and I'm not overly concerned. I've met quite a few hunters in person after initially meeting on the net. The have all been good experiences and I have some great new friends because of it. The way I see it I'm meeting guys that love to hunt. We will all have guns and if anyone gets a little too strange and wants to share my sleeping bag or something they just better hope they are quicker on the draw than I am.

Is it Friday yet?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Last year I met four cast bulet shooters and several wives and kids for the Nevada Millenium Cast Bullet Shoot. The shooting and bragging about our rifles and bullets was great, but even better were the evening discussions of shooting, books, politics, shoes, ships and sealing wax over adult beverages. It was more like a family reunion than a meeting of strangers. Another caster from the board was sent to my area for work. We managed to get together for a day at the range and dinner. Again, I felt as if I had known this gentleman for a long time. If the quality of people on the hunting board is anything like that of those on the cast bullet board get-togethers will be entirely positive. curmudgeon

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gee I feel left out. I have only talked to Pat (E4E) on the phone and bought some gear from him. Never met him, but from his picture in LMD's Picture Gallery thread, he looks amazingly like a kangaroo....<P><A HREF="https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000076.html" TARGET=_blank>www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000076.html</A><P><BR>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dubya, LOL, I know who that someone is with a concerned wife. Seems like I'm not alone. Lets see, I've met Joel S, Pete (pak), Donald (Saluuq or Rusty Gun) and about 1/2 dozen others from other boards. I was supposed to meet Allen a couple times, but his first trip ended in a cancelled flight, messed up hotel and totaled rental car. I also swung by the airport to meet Tex, Mr. Toons and Mike, but they had to bring someone else to the bar, so no party of 3. I digress.<P>I think where the concerns from our loved ones come in, compared to our impressions is that we have interacted with eachother for awhile. I've been conversing with some of the guys here for years, BW and JJ, who I still haven't met yet. I think if one has some common sense, you can tell a bit about somebody by conversing with them for awhile, and if they are a nut case, it'll come out eventually. <P>What it really comes down to is forming a relationship, and developing some trust. Since our wives consider these folks total strangers, that trust hasn't developed. I'm sure many of us here, probably most of us consider alot of guys here as friends, even if we have never met face to face.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have probably met more people from this site then anyone else here just because so many have hunted with me. I Have never worried about what some one will turn out to be like. It's just hunting and that common interest seems to be enough to put the other "fluff" behind us.<P>There have been a couple guys who were so FOS you could smell them from a distance. I feel sorry for them more then I wish to confront them about the stories. <P>One in particular was a cop who claimed to have "taken out" of 50 bad guys. Wow he must have spent the majority of his career on paid investigational leave. But you just need to go with the flow and let it roll off your back. The majority seem to get into "story telling mode" after hours and when the drinks have been flowing. <P>It's all fun for me, the stories and the guys who are FOS too. I have seen some really good hunters and shooters blow a shot or lose an animal. I feel sorry for them, I want to comfort them in some way. I hate when that happens. However when the excuses start pouring out about everything in the world that might have cause the miss it is more difficult to feel sorry for the guy. <P>Just suck it up and move along. Probably one of the guys who did this the best of anyone I have ever seen in a long career was <BR>"10 point" last year. He had a problem with one animal and said "I F up" We found it anyway but it was refreshing to hear a guy say it was his error not "the angle of the sun reflecting of my watch face into his eye at the instant he pulled the trigger" or some crap like that. <P>I also met with Many guys from Africa in my career. One of the best I have ever met was about a year ago or more. I hardly knew him but actually roomed with him when I was in school there. Pete Millan who posted above has become a great friend of mine. You expressed concern of just meeting somebody, how about living with them while your in school! Yeah that was a risk, here is a guy whom you are friends with but do you really know! Do you want to live and room with him while in school??<P>I would do it again in a heart beat. I would prefer to have a little less stress than being in that school though. Hunting would have been more fun. However Pete and I hit it off great and in a couple days it seemed as though I knew him my whole life. <P>Now the down side is inviting Cody( Mike Boyd) on a hunt and having the entire trip ruined because he is such a complete loser and irritated every single person to the point they would try to hide from him and ignore is obnoxious ways. He really did destroy an entire hunt for one of my good friends. So it is possible to find these losers but the odds are low. I also think you get a feel for people in this format by seeing how they interact with the hecklers and idiots that show from time to time. You also see if they have the same values and thoughts. It might actually be better then face to face because threre is no visual pre-conceived notions. You actually judge people on their words rather then apperance. <P>I would not worry to much about meeting guys from this site. Many of use have met other guys and can easily cross reference what they are really like. Just don't ask me for a refernce on Texas hunter. The experts are still stumped on his diagnosis so I cannot possibley comment. jj

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much the same reaction here. When I told the guys in the barber shop that I was meeting up with some internet friends the jokes flew. �Deliverance� and other references of a similar vein. I told them I would be heavily armed so not to worry.<P>I met Sheister, his brother 8ball, Joe Cabela, Mr. SS and son, Silver Bullet, Entropy and Spike at Shooter�s Slam this past November (can I say Shooter�s here?) and am probably forgetting someone. All are good people. Some look like you expect and others you have no preconceived notion of. I was a bit awed and humbled in the presence of so much hunting knowledge and experience and diverse talent. I am just a shooter who stumbles around in the woods hoping to come upon some creature dumber than me, and so learned some new things about elk hunting and cooking and camping. Above all else I just had a good time with some neat people. Wish Silver Bullet had not had that bad experience with the lost hunter so fresh in mind. <P>Have talked to JJ briefly on the phone and talked to Pumpgun one night, will be meeting JJ in Africa this May. Have to admit to some trepidation in meeting anyone as I am not the most outgoing person in the world. Particular one on one. Pumpgun, so if I seemed a bit recalcitrant when we talked, that is the reason. I enjoyed the conversation once we got started and now I wish we could have had dinner together. <P>I really like the venue we had of meeting at a hunting camp. Don�t know about the rest of you but I do a lot better in a group where you don�t have to hold up 50% of the conversation but can just sit back and listen to the others talk if you�re not feeling like talking. Plus, if someone�s an a-hole at least you aren�t stuck with them all by yourself. [Linked Image]<P>Anyway, I would encourage those of you sitting on the fence to try to get with Pumpgun this Fall to hunt in Colorado. I will have to see how the finances are after returning from Africa but sure would like to go. Or meet up with anybody on the board. I invited one poster in Boise to come out to the range I frequent. You might hit if off, you might not but at least you start off with something in common.<BR>

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Waders:<BR>[B]Gee I feel left out. I have only talked to Pat (E4E) on the phone and bought some gear from him. Never met him, but from his picture in LMD's Picture Gallery thread, he looks amazingly like a kangaroo....<P>Pat, a.k.a. E4E, is my best friend. I see his mug in person a lot. The pic on LMD's forum doesn't do him justice. His feet are bigger than that. <P>Seriously, since Pat quotes his store's website address on the board, I suppose I can tell you guys you can go there and see for yourself...if you dare. <BR><A HREF="http://www.sandbsports.com." TARGET=_blank>www.sandbsports.com.</A> <P>Talker

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I don't have reservations about meeting new people. More like the other way around. The first guy I meet from the "old" room invited me on a turkey hunt, and I was to pick him up at his house at 3:30am. How many people would do that? I picked him up and we headed out and had a blast. He didn't even hunt, but did all the calling and setting up to show me how, what and why to do what we were doing. That one day gave me a friend for life. The next weekend he came over to my house and checked out my reloading set up and made sure everything was safe and set up properly.<P>I make no bones about it...I didn't grow up hunting. My father grew up his entire life in Chicago and didn't hunt. So I have had to learn this all on my own. That is why I ask a ton more questions then I have answers too.<P>Texas Hunter drove down for North Texas to say hi before we took off for Alaska. Again, after meeting and hunting with Texas Hunter, MSSGN, AlleninAlaska and BW (Brian), meeting JoelS., and PAK...I would hook up with any of these guys in a second, given the chance. They were all friends that I would want to keep. And am glad I had the chance to meet. We missed 458lott at the airport do to our larger then expected party, and that bummed us out. <P>Allen and Brian went way out of their way to set up hunts for us. I only wish I could repay the favor. Both of them did ALL the work. I think my part was easy. I have a huge respect for those who do what they say they will do. And all the guys that I have meet from these rooms have all my respect.<P>The only thing that can happen by not my not going to Alaska is the same thing that had always happen before that time...nothing. I had everything to gain and nothing to lose. <P>Some people said "why don't you hire a guide and go!". And I would say, how do I know the guide any better! Refrences they would say. And I would say, refrences from people I didn't know either. <P>As it is right now, I have more friends in Alaska I could and would go hunting with then I do here in Texas. -t.h.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have only actually met 2 lurkers from the different sites and it was very good each time. One called me after seeing my post for selling a 375, we now get together and are loosely friends since we live on opposite ends of town but make a point of getting together from time to tome. The other was from H.A. and wanted to know where I bought a particular rifle, one that he was trying to find for himself. As luck (for him) would have it I had just made the decision to sell the one I had the day before he e-mailed me and I happened to be headed through Ft. worth on my way to Springfield, Mo. I was in kind of a hurry to get to where I was going but ended up having lunch with this fine gentleman and talked for quite a while while my sweetheart and son sat in the next booth rolling their eyes. I have e-mailed with a few from here and have found that every one of them was more than what I had expected as to their kindness and sincerity. ready_ on_ the_ right really stands out because he saw that I liked a certain hard to come by bullet, that I'm convinced he really likes and could have used himself and mailed the box to me on premise that if we ever meet, I will let him shoot my 470 (which I will and I intend to meet him). As if that's not enough, he sent me the nicest Christmas card I got from anyone. Thank you Mike! I have tried to get to a gun show to meet NO and haven't got that together yet but am eagerly awaiting the day. As to texas_hunter, well, lets just say that I'm not really sure since all I can picture in my mind when I think about him are those red counter-coil clown boots I keep hearing about. I would really like to meet E4E because he seems equally nice as anyone else here and he is a great source of knowledge. I only have one question for Pat though and that is that his picture on his site worries me. His nose looks awful dry and that makes me worry about his health.(grin) Something I was thinking about was that we need to have our locations mandatory (at least the state) under our handles when we post and out e-mail on our profiles. Then maybe we could take this whole thing to the next level and start a real club with local chapters and regional events and such. What does anyone think about any of this? <P>------------------<BR>"The only thing to fear is fear itself"<P>[This message has been edited by mtgoat (edited February 01, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by mtgoat (edited February 01, 2001).]

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.