Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The way my doctor said it to me was, Do it now while the rest of your body is still working.

The longer you wait it's like putting a new engine in a 600,000 mile Ford Pinto.

DING! DING! DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER!

....and don't be afraid to put that engine in that Pinto!
It may be slow, but it will go many more miles! LOL!

Asking a surgeon if you need surgery is like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

I have had hip replacement surgery. I was 60 when I had it done, no issues and I have no real limitations.

Sent 2 aunts with hip pain to my surgeon and both didn’t need a replacement. A good surgeon doesn’t need to operate on every patient that walks through the doors. Find a good surgeon and do what they tell you. Mine doesn’t believe in to much therapy, walking works pretty good. Don’t sit on your butt and then complain you don’t feel better.

Sitting on your butt has nothing to do with it The best alternatives to surgery in many cases involve PT and exercise. It's worked twice for me.

Then you likely didn't need surgery in the first place.

Well, yes and no. With my shoulder it gave me 8 or 9 years until it finally got to the point where it was waking me up. With my hip, it's been good for the past two years, fingers crossed on that.

I agree with saddlesore though, surgery should be the last resort.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the day after my steroid shots in knee and shoulder yesterday i feel like a new man again for a while. somehow

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pete53
the day after my steroid shots in knee and shoulder yesterday i feel like a new man again for a while. somehow

I've had steroid shots in a couple different joints. Key words for me are "for a while." And when the steroids wear off, the pain seemed to be worse.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both shoulders need replaced according to the Orthopedic Doctor I’ve seen.

Trouble happened quick for me. Shoveling gravel my right began hurting. Pretty painful for a couple months. During that time I used my left predominately until it too became a problem. Finally succumbed and went to the Doctor. He X-rayed both, and put in cortisone. Said an MRI might be needed if problem persisted. Mentioned “cleaning them up”.

The shots helped a lot for a couple months then wore off. I tolerated it again for maybe six more months then returned to the Doctor. He X-Rayed again, shot both up with cortisone and told me both needed replaced. I asked about the MRI and “clean up” to which he said it might help but not for very long, both needed replaced.

That was in December. Shots have now worn off. Pain is persistent using either arm in certain ways, mostly extended laterally away from my body. Range of motion has deteriorated to the point I cannot take off a button up shirt or zip up coat without first moving the shoulders off with my opposite arm. I’m functioning but at a much lower level at work and recreation.

I’m a loader at a chemical plant. Rail, Barge, and trucks, mostly rail. Been doing the same thing pretty much for the last 30 years. Hope to retire soon (3 years max). Had a couple of back surgeries and elbow problems. Both still cause me trouble but are tolerable. The shoulders however are really becoming a nagging issue.

When I left the Doctor hearing “replacement” my first thought was no way, it’ll heal. Then I considered it was what a surgeon would recommend for the billing potential. Current insurance plan would pay 80% after $10000 deductible. Have to imagine a shoulder replacement would exceed the out of pocket $10k. January 1, 2024 the deductible will be significantly less with much higher premiums.

Reading this thread has been informative. Don’t run into many people discussing joint replacement. Good to hear of the successes and problems encountered. I hope to get by until January then make a decision, likely after getting a second opinion. Will remain on the “shot schedule” and meds for now.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ditto on the zip up coats and shirts.
My shoulder had gotten to the point where eating with a utensil meant putting my elbow on the table and leaning into the utensil.
Scratching the top of my head, I had to raise my right arm, the push the elbow up with my left hand.

We all have our pain tolerance levels.....and what we will do to avoid or address that pain.
My big push was pain and the inability to accomplish everyday tasks comfortably.

The implant they used on my hip was designed by a Dr. McBride in the late 50's!
Ten years after the implant (2005), it shows no signs of wear or flaking!
Thank God and smart people for the advancements in implant surgery, both devices and techniques!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 03/24/23.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When your arm hangs down along your side like it isn't part of your body, replacement might be called for.

Between hip, knee, and shoulder. Shoulder is the worse in terms of pain, PT, recovery time, and future use.
I am 4 years post reverse shoulder replacement. I do not have 100%ROM, I still get aches, and cannot build my muscles back up to pre-surgery strength.They tell you other muscles will retrain to take the place of the ones you don't have anymore. Not True.

Worse part is I still have to do 8 different exercises every other day and will have to do them for the rest of my life or the shoulder will pop out of joint. Surgeon wants to go back in and put a spacer in. Screw that, I am not about to go thru it again and take 6 months+ out of my life being almost 80 years old .

Your out of pocket will definitely exceed the $10K.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
When your arm hangs down along your side like it isn't part of your body, replacement might be called for.

Between hip, knee, and shoulder. Shoulder is the worse in terms of pain, PT, recovery time, and future use.
I am 4 years post reverse shoulder replacement. I do not have 100%ROM, I still get aches, and cannot build my muscles back up to pre-surgery strength.They tell you other muscles will retrain to take the place of the ones you don't have anymore. Not True.

Worse part is I still have to do 8 different exercises every other day and will have to do them for the rest of my life or the shoulder will pop out of joint. Surgeon wants to go back in and put a spacer in. Screw that, I am not about to go thru it again and take 6 months+ out of my life being almost 80 years old .

Your out of pocket will definitely exceed the $10K.

I was fortunate that my replacement wasn't the "reverse". Yeppers! PT was hell! I'm normally a peaceful person, but I was ready to kill my PT guy! A "deep tissue" massage on a tight muscle! Damn that hurt! But it sure felt better when he got through! 😉
My ROM isn't 100%, but it's a helluva lot more than presurgery! I'm pickled tink! I'm not pain free either, but the pain is no where NEAR the presurgery scale! More tweak or twinge occasionally.

It's unfortunate that ANY of us should need joint replacements, but regardless of your decision, may your outcome be good.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,562
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.