What's your load for these Hanco?

Last edited by jericward; 03/30/23.

Eric
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Just to be contrarian …Run the rumbers for a 162 or 162-gr bullet with high BC.

At 500 yards, the difference in drift and energy versus a 120-gr. Bullet is impressive.

I know everyone, including me, wants the higher velocity of a lighter bullet, but a longer and softer bullet is worth a second look.

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jericward
Originally Posted by hanco
120 barnes

47 grains of IMR 4350

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomGresham
Just to be contrarian …Run the rumbers for a 162 or 162-gr bullet with high BC.

At 500 yards, the difference in drift and energy versus a 120-gr. Bullet is impressive.

I know everyone, including me, wants the higher velocity of a lighter bullet, but a longer and softer bullet is worth a second look.

Most of us have no interest in what a bullet does at 500 yards or beyond.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
At least nine different bullet recommendations.

Which tells me there is no overwhelming clear choice.

Whatever your rifle shoots well that you can actually find on the shelf.

Deer die pretty easy with proper placement.

P

Amen.^^^

What I realize is the 7mm08 is so much like its parent case (308w) and we know that cartridge has so many good bullet choices. One thing about it, it's really hard to pick a bad bullet for either cartridge. Hell, I just bought a few hundred 150gr Winchester powerpoint bullets and I know those will work near and far in the 7mm08. Use what shoots good enough for you and you'll be just fine. Fill some arks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You're right.....one bullet/one load......140 Accubond running 2800.

If you can find them.

Big Game powder, of course.

P
Of course.

Another very accurate choice is the 140 Sierra HPBT. Good terminal performance. Slightly more accurate than NAB 120 and 140’s. Kills well.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Know where to find some? About to reload .280 rem and want some of these

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not really. I pick up some when I can.

Expansive but great bullets, the Hammer series. They’re mono, super accurate with great terminal performance. Google Hammer Bullets. And they seem to always have them in stock.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Choose an absolute hammer in your grain of choice and rock on. In the 7mm-08 they are running more than 100-150 fps more at similar pressures.

Being in stock always and super accurate are a plus. A few are getting over 3k fps with the 140 AH in the 7mm-08.

https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/284-7mm/

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
Choose an absolute hammer in your grain of choice and rock on. In the 7mm-08 they are running more than 100-150 fps more at similar pressures.

Being in stock always and super accurate are a plus. A few are getting over 3k fps with the 140 AH in the 7mm-08.

Not sure how you can achieve excessive velocity without higher pressures, but whatever.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Not sure how you can achieve excessive velocity without higher pressures, but whatever.

I mostly agree, but think of the difference between a .264 140 Berger and a 140 Partition. The Berger has very little bearing surface compared to the PT so you get some free speed. Not sure if it could equate to 150-200 FPS safely but I’d imagine it’s only a matter of time till we see some pressure data backing up Hammers info.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Driving band patented design with very low resistance is the answer. One series, the Absolute Hammer, is designed such that the ogive does not engrave rifling, only the driving bands. Thus, much lower bore resistance with the possibility of higher velocity without higher pressure.

In fact, faster powder is generally needed to get enough in the case for enhanced velocity. This opens a new reloading challenge. Besides being a good bit faster than conventional bullets, these bullets are very accurate with great terminal performance.

Interesting technology.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jericward
120 barnes

47 grains of IMR 4350

Varget will get you there also

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The absolute hammers have a super short engraving surface so there is less pressure build up. The added velocity is especially pronounced in non-magnum cartridges.
The trick is to go to a relatively faster powder because you tend to run out of case with the slow ones.
I get 3050 fps and 1/2" groups in my Savage 116 30-06 with the 162 AH and 54.5 gr of Varget. Not a single sign of excessive pressure.

go here and download the PDF on load data

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/absolute-hammer-load-data.250143/

μολὼν λαβέ

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting. Having never seen any, I was curious to see how that is possible. Thanks for the info.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
........... Besides being a good bit faster than conventional bullets, these bullets are very accurate with great terminal performance.

Interesting technology.

DF

yes super accurate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Driving band patented design with very low resistance is the answer. One series, the Absolute Hammer, is designed such that the ogive does not engrave rifling, only the driving bands. Thus, much lower bore resistance with the possibility of higher velocity without higher pressure.

In fact, faster powder is generally needed to get enough in the case for enhanced velocity. This opens a new reloading challenge. Besides being a good bit faster than conventional bullets, these bullets are very accurate with great terminal performance.

Interesting technology.

DF

I knew smart fella would explain what I was trying to get across grin

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

Interesting technology.

DF

“Smart fella”…. Where?

Ha!

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Interesting technology.

DF

“Smart fella”…. Where?

Ha!

DF

I think he meant to say fart smeller..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Interesting technology.

DF

“Smart fella”…. Where?

Ha!

DF

I think he meant to say fart smeller..
Makes a lot more sense.

DF

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.