Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
JV3 Offline
J
My favorite was the 5mm rimfire. Should be reintroduced.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Reloader326
You can smooth that action up with some lapping compound, it makes things a lot slicker

I think it is that cheap stamped clip i just hate it not being a "real" gun, accurate but cheap as ____!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I handled a Mossberg 640 Chuckster today, excellent condition for its age.Missing the magazine though

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check with Vic Havlin for all things Mossberg.

www.havlinsales.com

The PITA factor on a lot of Mossbergs is that the forward bolt placement impacts the receiver grooves for scope mounting. Vic sells a set of 1" bases that mostly alleviates the problem, the rear base is a cantilever style, but it is something to take into account when you're looking a Mossberg rimfire 'cause it costs $38.

I have a 640M with this mount and while it works and makes the rifle more useful than it would be without a scope installed, I don't love it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
TY 260R I have heard of havlinsales

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by captjohn
Ok not a rimfire guy, other than dispatch a animal in a trap, squirrels, and one coyote that was my only thing i shot with a 22 mag ( Savage plastic stock wonder) I am in the market for a real 22 mag just to have for nuisance control and shoot for the hell of it. The savage i have is really accurate, threaded for my noise reducer, but the action is like standing next to a rock crusher when you run it - what is the best "real" 22 mag rifle - old Rugers? I have even looked at the lever actions before? Not trying to hijack the thread but not a rimfire guy as of yet. Thanks!
Marlin has always made good 22 WMR rifles

Always thought one of their SS laminate models with the tube magazine would be the schizzle for a utility gun. Don’t care at all for the ones with the dangly box mags.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ok not a rimfire guy, other than dispatch a animal in a trap, squirrels, and one coyote that was my only thing i shot with a 22 mag ( Savage plastic stock wonder) I am in the market for a real 22 mag just to have for nuisance control and shoot for the hell of it. The savage i have is really accurate, threaded for my noise reducer, but the action is like standing next to a rock crusher when you run it - what is the best "real" 22 mag rifle - old Rugers? I have even looked at the lever actions before? Not trying to hijack the thread but not a rimfire guy as of yet. Thanks!

Always thought one of their SS laminate models with the tube magazine would be the schizzle for a utility gun. Don’t care at all for the ones with the dangly box mags.

Starting with the 982s Marlin started offering both a 4 round and a 7 round box magazine for the 17 HMR and 22 MRF/RFM. The 4 round magazine doesn't dangle below the stock, but it isn't quite flush either. I have both a 982 and a 983 with the tubular magazine. I prefer the 983, but the 982 with the 4 round magazine works well too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I've had one of the ones with the dangly box mags since 1990. I also have four flush fit {very close anyway} 4 round magazines for it. It shoots very well for a .22 magnum, being a solid MOA peformer with ammo it likes and making it the most accurate of a dozen or so .22 mags I've owned. I glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel, recut the muzzle to a recessed target crown, reduced sear engagement, polished the mating surfaces, installed a lighter trigger spring and an ovetravel adjustment screw. The trigger breaks at 2.5 lbs with zero creep or overtravel. I don't know why anybody would think a tube magazine hanging off the barrel would be an accuracy enhancer or make it more convenient as a utility gun but it seems to be a common idea. I've owned dozens of rimfire rifles with both tube and detachable magzines and have always found the detechables more convenient.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t know they made Marlin mags like that; the ones I’ve seen (and the Savages) stuck out way too far for my taste, and to be convenient for carry, to my eye anyway.

I don’t think a tube would enhance accuracy, or necessarily hurt either. My very first rifle was a Marlin (81?) with a tube, and I always liked dropping all those rounds down that tube and having them available. Never a problem with it falling out either, unlike a some others. One in .22 mag, standing in the corner or where legal behind a vehicle seat, would have enough rounds to deal with most “utility” situations without stopping to load or grab extra mags, and the SS and plywood should tolerate a good bit of neglect.

Don’t see any of those SS Marlins very often in either form, so if I ever want another magnum I’ll just buy another CZ 457. The one I have has been totally satisfactory.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have never owned a magnum rifle until a few weeks ago. I picked up a CZ 455 stainless in 22 mag. I am looking forward to trying it out.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1
wanted to go that route, but price of shells for it, changed my mind and unboxed a 700 lvsf in 223 and with 40gr vmax and blue dot I'm better off

Like the way you think Steve...

Did the same a long time ago, when I discovered that I could ( at the time ) load a 223, with Blue Dot and 55 grain FMJ's, for cheaper than the cost of a box of 22 Mag bullets ( 50 count)...After a ricochet hit a farmers irrigation pipe and put a hole in it. I fessed up at his house and wanted to know the price for the repair.. He asked me how many ground squirrels did I kill that day and told him around 500. Told me not to worry about it, then squirrels would have cost him a lot more in crop damage than a patch on that pipe. Said I'll send Jose out tomorrow morning and have him put a patch on it.

However after that, I switched over to regular varmint bullets.

But I do have a Ruger and a pair of Marlins in 22 Mag, which I love. The Marlin 25 MN, has been used for a truck gun for 4 decades. I've put down a dozen or so deer in my travels, with head shots after they have been hit by cars, out in the middle of nowhere.

Blue Dot in a bolt 223, does make barrels last. I've got a couple of barrels that have over 30,000 rounds down the barrel and are still minute of sage rat, off the hood of my 4 Runner.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RF shooters are fun, but if I felt the need for a little speed I’d most likely pick up a Hornet and be done with it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn’t know they made Marlin mags like that; the ones I’ve seen (and the Savages) stuck out way too far for my taste, and to be convenient for carry, to my eye anyway.

I don’t think a tube would enhance accuracy, or necessarily hurt either. My very first rifle was a Marlin (81?) with a tube, and I always liked dropping all those rounds down that tube and having them available. Never a problem with it falling out either, unlike a some others. One in .22 mag, standing in the corner or where legal behind a vehicle seat, would have enough rounds to deal with most “utility” situations without stopping to load or grab extra mags, and the SS and plywood should tolerate a good bit of neglect.

Don’t see any of those SS Marlins very often in either form, so if I ever want another magnum I’ll just buy another CZ 457. The one I have has been totally satisfactory.

I agree with you on the utility aspect of the 783/883/983 series of tubular magazine Marlin .22 MAG bolt guns. You can't lose or misplace the magazine like you could with the 782/882/982 series. I currently have 19 rifles chambered in .22 MAG and the 983S would be the one that I'd keep if I could only keep one. Because of the magazine it wouldn't work with a suppressor, but I'm not a suppressor guy, so for me that is a non-issue.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
[quote=ribka]Steve you remember during Covid that you praised Trudeau and supported Canadians being under house arrest for not getting the vaccine the didn't even work? Remember when you praised Trudeau for closing churches, Canadian businesses ruining millions of lives. You even celebrated the Canadian truckers being arrested

You're a fraud and we don't forget {Quote}

another GREAT post....

+1.

Even more interesting is that he continues blithely on as though he had never used this forum to wear his heart on his sleeve. Sad.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Grabbed this old Ruger Single-Six (with .22WMR cylinder only) at the last local gun show. Didn’t have any .22WMR ammo, so a friend provided some equally old Winchester 40gr. JSP rounds (headstamped H). The first six rounds (shot two hands standing at fifty feet) convinced me that this guy is a keeper:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Seems I always gotta toss that one flyer, though.

As my friend was providing the ammo, and I was already satisfied with the results, I quit and let him shoot up the rest of it in this revolver, which he appeared to thoroughly enjoy.

Nice. I have one marked 22 Mag, no second cylinder.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Skip the magnum and get a Hornet.

I can relate

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by oldotter

I can relate

Or get both! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. You need one. It’s life altering.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by oldotter

I can relate

Or get both! smile

Bingo.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire & Steveredd1: Thank God you both still have all your fingers!
No squibb loadings for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.