Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I’m gonna have to get me one of those Tikkas.

P

You should try one in 7/08.

I have just the recipe for loading it as well.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
HR IC

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10

P

I have just the recipe for loading it as well.

🦫
Partition, eld-x or accubonds?
Read somewhere that big game is excellent in that caliber

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by pete53
my new Tikka rifle has a fiber piece that sticks on the stock , the reason for bedding the rifle is it will make it more solid in the rifle that won`t get soft and wear out like the fiber piece on it now over a few years. as far as shooting this rifle before i glass bed it , it won`t happen i know from many past new rifles all rifles are better off glass bedded so why waste my time taking the rifle apart a bunch of times. even rifles with aluminum bedding blocks shoot better with some glass bedding on top of the aluminum block. besides with my bad shoulders the 30-06 cartridge is not that fun to shoot that much anymore at my age of 70 recoil sucks , so once this Tikka shoots under an inch maybe less with my handloads at 100 yards i am done.

Then why buy a 30-06 in the first place?

until i can get a Winchester extreme 30-06 model 70 , i could use this Tikka rifle on a Canadian moose hunt . i have plenty blued rifles i just want the best to hand down to my son and grandson in a 30-06 S.S. , Tikka is a good rifle but the Winchester extreme S.S. model 70 is the better rifle in my opinion, its all S.S. and the model 70 is the easiest bolt to strip down in any camp , i do have this Winchester on order but it has not shown up yet. plus the 30-06 is the one cartridge you can find ammo for any place in the world . for me the 30-06 is a great hunting cartridge but for target shooting to much recoil give me a 6 BR then. deer hunting in my camp i still use a Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. i may shoot 1 shot every 2 years at a good buck , Ruger #1`s are great in a enclosed deer stand because its short because #1 doesn`t really have an action saves 4 inches rifle swings easier in these types of enclosed stands.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

P

Or 17 HMR smirk

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think my next one will be a 17 HMR. I got some critters that need to be taken care of.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
I'm on my fifth one right now. By all means do all the tinkering you want, but you might want to shoot it first. Im 72 and have owned more than a few rifles over the years. My retirement job was in a gun shop, and the owner jokingly called me a member of the gun a month club. Evey Tikka I've owned shot well out of the box. One was the most accurate factory gun I've ever owned.

I agree with Bogtrotter. You might want to shoot it first. I have 4 now. I have set up several for my bil, nephew, and friends. 8 T3x's in the last 2 years. All have shot sub moa with factory ammo out of the box. I do not reload. It might take some trial and error before you find what it likes to shoot best. but when you find the one you will know. The only one that gave me a little trouble was my 308. It would shoot 1 moa but I couldn't get it much better than that. I changed the stock and recoil lug and it now shoots .75 moa. with factory ammo (Hornady 168gr ELDM's) None have been glass bedded.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
^My first 270 with Factory Fiocchi 130gr 100yds^

^6.5 Creed Factory Hornady 130gr ELDM 100yds^

^270 #2 in a laminated stock shooting Factory Fiocchi 130gr 100yds^

^270 # 3 set this one up for my nephew. It likes Fed Fusion's 130gr.^

I know these are only 3 shot groups. But thats enough to tell me what they like to shoot. when you find out what they like, they will shoot great right out of the box.

Very nice. That is why I always suggest Tikka, when someone asks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
my new Tikka rifle has a fiber piece that sticks on the stock , the reason for bedding the rifle is it will make it more solid in the rifle that won`t get soft and wear out like the fiber piece on it now over a few years. as far as shooting this rifle before i glass bed it , it won`t happen i know from many past new rifles all rifles are better off glass bedded so why waste my time taking the rifle apart a bunch of times. even rifles with aluminum bedding blocks shoot better with some glass bedding on top of the aluminum block. besides with my bad shoulders the 30-06 cartridge is not that fun to shoot that much anymore at my age of 70 recoil sucks , so once this Tikka shoots under an inch maybe less with my handloads at 100 yards i am done.

I'll be the odd man out and not bust your balls for wanting to glass bed your new rifle. I'd do the same thing, if it had what you are referring to as "sticky fiber" in between the stock and action. Doesn't seem right to me. I'd remove it and likely glass bed it, as well. I know from experience that if you don't, they loosen up over time. Those guys that don't, are fine to not do it to their rifles, but I know mine won't loosen up over time and lose precision/accuracy. To each their own.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

until i can get a Winchester extreme 30-06 model 70 , i could use this Tikka rifle on a Canadian moose hunt . i have plenty blued rifles i just want the best to hand down to my son and grandson in a 30-06 S.S. , Tikka is a good rifle but the Winchester extreme S.S. model 70 is the better rifle in my opinion, its all S.S. and the model 70 is the easiest bolt to strip down in any camp , i do have this Winchester on order but it has not shown up yet. plus the 30-06 is the one cartridge you can find ammo for any place in the world . for me the 30-06 is a great hunting cartridge but for target shooting to much recoil give me a 6 BR then. deer hunting in my camp i still use a Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag. i may shoot 1 shot every 2 years at a good buck , Ruger #1`s are great in a enclosed deer stand because its short because #1 doesn`t really have an action saves 4 inches rifle swings easier in these types of enclosed stands.

I'd have to disagree there. The new Browing model 70 pales in comparison to the Tikka. If you want a good stainless model 70, find an early 5 or 6 digit classic. JMHO..

BSA MAGA
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'd have to disagree there. The new Browing model 70 pales in comparison to the Tikka. If you want a good stainless model 70, find an early 5 or 6 digit classic. JMHO..

that`s what i really want is a early Winchester S.S. but i am lookin yet for one , but for now the Tika is ok

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Winchester extreme SS rifles are unobtanium right now. A few months ago there were some 270's out there but they are now gone.

I still would not buy one, classic stainless is the way I would go.

Unless I bring down the trigger poundage I never take the action out of the stock at least when I first buy it. I shoot it before I start messing around with it.

IC B3

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Winchester extreme SS rifles are unobtanium right now. A few months ago there were some 270's out there but they are now gone.

Unless I bring down the trigger poundage I never take the action out of the stock at least when I first buy it. I shoot it before I start messing around with it.

i strip many of my new firearms right away ,i prefer to glass bed a new bolt action right away , i get better long time/ forever consistent accuracy then. i don`t care how it shoots out of the box i am not writing a book . i am doing what is needed to guarantee me the best accuracy for a hunting tool called a rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

i strip many of my new firearms right away ,i prefer to glass bed a new bolt action right away , i get better long time/ forever consistent accuracy then. i don`t care how it shoots out of the box i am not writing a book . i am doing what is needed to guarantee me the best accuracy for a hunting tool called a rifle.

I don't fix what is not broken when buying new . If there is an accuracy issue with gun then I can send it back . If it is a mint used gun I tear it apart no questions asked. Those that have questionable bedding get rebedded, triggers adjusted and cleaned down to bare metal in the bore.

That said I have never had to contact Beretta support concerning a Tikka or Sako(except A7 magazine) .

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 03/26/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
screw that,all wood stocks can change point of impact when the stock gets either wet or dry > glass bedding and sealing wood helps stop those problems. don`t believe everything thing you read that`s just B.S. . my guns when bedded always return barrel back to point of impact ,that`s the most important thing with a wood stock. most people will never ever have a consistent 100 yard 1/2 inch 5 shot group rifle to hunt with that has a wood stock , but if bedded and sealed it can be made to return to point of impact. >its my rifle i will do as i please and this rifle with my knowledge on glass bedding , sealing wood stocks and my handloading will preformed just fine and has always done much better than do nothing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
but overall its a nice rifle next will be range time to see how well it will shoot.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP.
You bought tikka to see what the hype is? But you wont shoot it first to see for your self?
Got it !

Last edited by Dre; 03/27/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

I don't fix what is not broken when buying new . If there is an accuracy issue with gun then I can send it back . If it is a mint used gun I tear it apart no questions asked. Those that have questionable bedding get rebedded, triggers adjusted and cleaned down to bare metal in the bore.

That said I have never had to contact Beretta support concerning a Tikka or Sako(except A7 magazine) .

if you seen how that fiber piece stuck to the wood looks you would glass bed the rifle too right away ,for being a nice rifle that is not a cheap rifle with this 10 cent fiber piece of chit stuck to the wood stock is almost shameful.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

if you seen how that fiber piece stuck to the wood looks you would glass bed the rifle too right away ,for being a nice rifle that is not a cheap rifle with this 10 cent fiber piece of chit stuck to the wood stock is almost shameful.

Wonder why they put it there. Do you have pics of it? I would have called them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
screw that,all wood stocks can change point of impact when the stock gets either wet or dry > glass bedding and sealing wood helps stop those problems. don`t believe everything thing you read that`s just B.S. . my guns when bedded always return barrel back to point of impact ,that`s the most important thing with a wood stock. most people will never ever have a consistent 100 yard 1/2 inch 5 shot group rifle to hunt with that has a wood stock , but if bedded and sealed it can be made to return to point of impact. >its my rifle i will do as i please and this rifle with my knowledge on glass bedding , sealing wood stocks and my handloading will preformed just fine and has always done much better than do nothing.

It’s a laminate FFS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How bout posting up some pics of this 10 cent fiber piece? It's introducing a certain amount of bullshit to your post. Has anyone else experienced this 10 cent fiber piece? I have not. May be a bit of adhesive to hold the steel bedding lug in place during assembly..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.