Originally Posted by Poconojack
WOODMEN

Woodmen of the World

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great detective work, especially calling the cemetery sexton! Have You reached out to Marshfellow (who is nearby Utica), or I'm pretty close, for a face-to-face meeting,

So who was responsible for the Tue family Utica burials? Family? Church? Undertaker? Social services? Maybe the Woodmen Society

There are some really dedicated keepers of rural burial grounds. I found my great-great grandfather's stone in the middle of the woods after talking with the local junkyard owner, (two geezers on the porch who I stopped to talk with, brothers who used to run by the "scary place" as boys, on their way to a fishing hole!). When I found it the next spring there were flowers planted around it.

Last edited by JeffG; 04/07/23.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffG
So who was responsible for the Tue family Utica burials? Family? Church? Undertaker? Social services? Maybe the Woodmen Society

I found my great-great grandfather's stone in the middle of the woods after talking with the local junkyard owner, (two geezers on the porch who I stopped to talk with, brothers who used to run by the "scary place" as boys, on their way to a fishing hole!). When I found it the next spring there were flowers planted around it.
No idea who was responsible for the burials. Probably a case by case basis for those who remain.
The Sexon is looking up records for Enoch's burial but have not heard back yet. I just suspect our master engraver friend was a starving artist with minimal means. The Sexton did say unmarked graves are fairly common, mostly for financial reasons is believed.
James' stone may have been a product of the Woodmen of the World group to which he belonged. He and Enoch were members of the Foresters Association in Utica in the early 1900's. Both men's civic do-gooders groups.
Mary T. Tue was probably taken care of by here family in Buffalo.
Jennie Tue is unmarked also in Utica. Both Enoch and William Henry were both still in Utica at that time, so,... ??
William Henry's 4x4 marker In CA appears to have been updated/placed at a later date along with his family.

During the research project I did come in contact with William Henry's G-G-Grandchildren, a young man and young woman. Neither was interested in participating and were fairly hostile. Research ain't for everyone. smile

btw - William Henry's G-G-Grandchildren did not receive a complementary engraving book either!

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 04/07/23.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they are hostile, the hell with them.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.