-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought about bringing a 30-06 with a suppressor out last fall. But I chose a 7x57 out instead. My brother-in-law told me that he considered bringing his 30-06 with suppress out but chose his 7-08.
We’re pretty much in the open where we hunt. Though sometimes we go through some thick trees to get back and forth.
I am applying for a suppressor for my 375’s. I’d think a 375 H&H AI with 235 grain SPEER’s ought to work.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/27/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I thought about bringing a 30-06 with a suppressor out last fall. But I chose a 7x57 out instead. My brother-in-law told me that he considered brining his 30-06 with suppress out, but chose his 7-08.
We’re pretty much in the open where we hunt. Though sometimes we go through some thick trees to get back and forth.
I am applying for a suppressor for my 375’s. I’d think a 375 H&H AI with 235 grain SPEER’s ought to work.
Do you have a 7x57 you can shoot suppressed ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not being a smartass but what purpose does the cover serve, less mirage?
Yes. I get heat waves in certain atmospheric conditions and successive shots. Cover can also protect from dings.

I’m Thinking of getting some cans.
Can I just use headers wrap vs getting a cover/sleeve ?
I suppose anything that keeps mirage at bay would work but for me I'd rather have something purpose built.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
Yes. I get heat waves in certain atmospheric conditions and successive shots. Cover can also protect from dings.

I suppose anything that keeps mirage at bay would work but for me I'd rather have something purpose built.

Same here. All of my cans have Cole-Tac HTP suppressor covers.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre

Covers are sort of a pain.

Shoot your can for a while and it's good odds you won't feel the need for a cover.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Dre

Covers are sort of a pain.

Shoot your can for a while and it's good odds you won't feel the need for a cover.
I never cover my can.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Bugger
I thought about bringing a 30-06 with a suppressor out last fall. But I chose a 7x57 out instead. My brother-in-law told me that he considered brining his 30-06 with suppress out, but chose his 7-08.
Do you have a 7x57 you can shoot suppressed ?

Most of the rifles I have threaded are for Prairie Dog shooting (204 through 22-250AI). The 30-06 is the only one I have now that I feel is suitable for deer, pronghorn or elk. I'm planning on getting more rifles threaded. I suspect that a 280 and a 270, maybe a 25-06 will be next, besides the 375's. My 7x57 classic is possibly the one I'd pick as it has seen quite a bit of hunting time and is the least pristine.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/27/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Never found the need for covers. Silencer’s biggest goal is to make hearing safe, not movie quiet. Added plus is that animals get confused as to where shot was taken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doing research now on one for the 358 Win. Suggestions? Likely leaning TBAC, well, just because....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have zero experience with supressors. But I never wanted to add weight to any hunting rifle, for any reason. I also never noticed any critter I shot, looking to see where the projectile came from. Rifle, handgun or bow. I guess I'm just stuck in the light weight, hunting trap..

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Heym06
I have zero experience with supressors. But I never wanted to add weight to any hunting rifle, for any reason. I also never noticed any critter I shot, looking to see where the projectile came from. Rifle, handgun or bow. I guess I'm just stuck in the light weight, hunting trap..

The first sentence is all that was needed. Honest question here. If you have zero experience with suppressors and not interested in getting one what was the point to opening the thread?

Since you did I will try to speak to your points. I don’t particularly care to add weight either. I chose a light weight model and cut enough off the barrel to offset much of the weight and length.

As to the critters looking to see where the shot came from. Well I suppose that was a attempt in humor? That said the suppressor doesn’t ring your ears and for the animals that weren’t shot they don’t tend to scatter as quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Heym06

The first sentence is all that was needed. Honest question here. If you have zero experience with suppressors and not interested in getting one what was the point to opening the thread?

Since you did I will try to speak to your points. I don’t particularly care to add weight either. I chose a light weight model and cut enough off the barrel to offset much of the weight and length.

As to the critters looking to see where the shot came from. Well I suppose that was a attempt in humor? That said the suppressor doesn’t ring your ears and for the animals that weren’t shot they don’t tend to scatter as quickly.

Interesting point you made, Kaleb. Some of us, myself being one, didn’t fully understand that the margins of lost accuracy and muzzle speed with a chopped tube isn’t enough to even worry about vs. a 24”-26” barrel.

I used to see dudes cutting a 24” tube down to a threaded 16”-18” for a can and think….OMG!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Oh I know me too. The thought of cutting a barrel down to 20” or less made me cringe. Funny how my opinions have changed by doing something rather than guessing.

I’ve said it over and over that I don’t mean to sound like I’m pushing suppressor use on anyone. I’m extremely late to them myself. I just hate to see bad information put out for others to read and form opinions based on that. For example don’t bash the weight if you bought a pound to pound and a half suppressor. They make them much lighter. Another example is don’t complain about them being unhandy when you threaded a suppressor on the end of a 22”-24”+ barrel. I’m sure I would hate having a suppressor on the end of a 24” barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Oh I know me too. The thought of cutting a barrel down to 20” or less made me cringe. Funny how my opinions have changed by doing something rather than guessing.

I’ve said it over and over that I don’t mean to sound like I’m pushing suppressor use on anyone. I’m extremely late to them myself. I just hate to see bad information put out for others to read and form opinions based on that. For example don’t bash the weight if you bought a pound to pound and a half suppressor. They make them much lighter. Another example is don’t complain about them being unhandy when you threaded a suppressor on the end of a 22”-24”+ barrel. I’m sure I would hate having a suppressor on the end of a 24” barrel.

The pretty wells sums up where I’m at. It nearly took and act of god for me to cut/thread my first to 16”. Now, with the exception of handful of rifles, 20” is the longest barrel I own.

The ever-increasing trend for scopes with some sort of turret or stadia pretty much solves any loss in velocity.

I also think it’s pretty common to view the weight of the various suppressors without doing the math on what one will lose in weight with a barrel chop (or starting with rifle with a shorter barrel). While not a complete offset (unless shortening a bulbous contour) it’s not too bad. But I’m likely in the minority of preferring a wee more weight out front anyway - balancing at the front action screw was never a priority.

Suppressors sure aren’t going to everyone’s cup of tea - they weren’t mine for years, but I’ve definitely warmed to them and in doing so, has definitely changed my once steadfast mindset on rifle configurations.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Doing research now on one for the 358 Win. Suggestions? Likely leaning TBAC, well, just because....

Check out the Rugged Alaskan. It is a bit longer than I would like at 7.5", but the weight is in the right range for a good hunting suppressor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Check out the Rugged Alaskan. It is a bit longer than I would like at 7.5", but the weight is in the right range for a good hunting suppressor.

Got one that just started its jail sentence. Hoping the trend in approvals turns in a better direction. This one might be a year or more, depending on the Form 1/Amnesty SBR B*llsh*t.

Looking to use the Rugged Alaskan on a 338 Fed, 338RCM, 35 Rem, and 358 Win,

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got the email today…

Approved..

Filed 6/25/22.
Approved 3/27/23.

9 months for a 90 process….

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As others has mentioned, I built this rifle around the can, I chose a chambering of 308 Win as it was the only Proof pre-fit at 20" that would fit my action and after hunting with it for a season and killing three deer with it, I'm very happy with the way it turned out, the can is 6", just about 10oz. I'm in "processing" on #2, same can, for the 6.5 CM I just built but it's at 24" and not quite the same balance. I building a 7mm PRC and going with a 22" barrel to accommodate a can as well, don't see me hunting without one in the future as they completely change the shooting experience.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 03/29/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still deer hunt with a handful of rifles I don't intend to suppress (bolt action sporters and lever guns) , but most everything else is going to wear a can from here on out.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep….I’m even thinking about cutting a 270 to 17-18”. OTT, I don’t care to own anything I can suppress that’s over 18”. My Kimber adirondack in 6.5 (I didn’t WANT a6.5), has stayed right at 6#, with can, heavy scope, sling, and loaded…..shoots like it’s a 223, carries great, and keeps making me talk myself out of the mini ARCs or grendels or identical 308s I often ponder. The little [bleep] has grown on me and punches above it’s recoil for sure.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.