Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
It's obvious in these threads who's done what... as the saying goes, "you can bullchit the fans, but not the players."

I make no bones about it...I am definitely not a distance backpacker in any stretch of the imagination. I wear boots for work and hunting, I use Toyota for distance.

That said, what you fellows use and the gear available is something I find very interesting.

I also think Jeff is a nut for traipsing about over steep country a black fella wouldn't go near...but an interesting nut worth listening to.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW Jeff, got my Hoka's. Frigging comfortable. They look like something you'd see in the rest home - fuggly! Nearly 4o'z lighter than my Salomon X Ultra's (they run larger than the Salomon's, so ordered 1/2 size smaller). Definitely more comfortable. We'll see how they do backpacking. Good thing I use a cane rather than trekking poles - I'll look right at home in the geriatric center smile I turn 62 this month...

Brad, which Hoka model did you get?

Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lonny, I got the Anacapa Breeze Low model (the non-goretex version of the Anacapa).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ll be curious how you like ‘em. I’ll be in X-Ultras for a while yet as I have a half-used-up pair from a couple years ago (did the Tahoe to Yosemite trail in them, around 160 miles, plus lots of hiking around here) that I’ll use the rest of this summer, stuck here at home*, plus a brand-new pair I got for this last trip and didn’t use. I’m ok with that; they work great for me. But of course I’m curious about the zero-drop stuff.

The zero drop angle is an interesting one and one we haven’t said a word about. I don’t have experience with it- or whether there are acclimation pains or whatever- so I’m not going to talk about it. But I’d love to hear from those who do.

From what I’ve seen on the crucible of the long trails, it’s a one-way street. Once you start wearing these things, there’s no going back.

*Cyn is getting back on the trail to attempt to complete the CDT! I’m staying here to hold down the fort to make that possible. With all she’s been through, she deserves every chance to maximize this window she’s in. 👍 But it kinda “sux to be me” right now. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
..... But of course I’m curious about the zero-drop stuff.

The zero drop angle is an interesting one and one we haven’t said a word about. I don’t have experience with it- or whether there are acclimation pains or whatever- so I’m not going to talk about it. But I’d love to hear from those who do.

Folks may push it one way or another, but the zero-drop vs some heel will most likely be good/bad depending on the individual and terrain.

I've been using raised heel olympic lifting shoes when doing lifts that require knees being forward and zero-drop lifting shoes for lifts that require vertical shins/hips back for a couple of decades now. Each can change the mechanics of movement...to help or to hinder, some of which will be related to the individuals body proportions and joint range of motion.

I'm guessing some hikers will love them and some not so much.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It might depend on how we define “hikers”.

The folks on the PCT… AT… CDT almost universally love them (and use them). They might best be defined as “power users”, plus, given they are on 5-6 month hikes, their body can get used to the zero-drop shoe and then just stay in that mode. More casual hikers might or might not love them, and might or might not have issues switching back and forth between zero-drop and regular daily shoes… . I don’t know.

I’m a little put-off by the fact that as you say they will change a person’s mechanics of movement. What I’m doing (non zero-drop Salomons) is working for me and that counts for a lot.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/10/23.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Garandimal
These light weight field boots fit my feet very well, and hold up very well, too.

Got them a half size smaller than my regular shoes, and fit allows for both single boot socks when it's hot, and the addition of a Kirkland wool outer sock when it's cold.

Wow, I learned something new - get your boots smaller than your regular shoes so you can wear heavy socks in cold weather. And here I always bought mine a 1/2 size larger...

lol

I'm becoming a bigger fan of zero drop shoes like altras. , prefer over Solomons. that's mostly in drier conditions staying on trails. They have helped ankle calf strength

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Speaking of the brooks trip, are you going to document it here? AAR?

Yeah I can certainly do that smile
Boots aside..... I would be honored to buy you a beer (or even two!) if you have time in town. It's a crazy time of the year, and I am an idiot on a good day, but I would love to hear that story firsthand.

I'll be flying in/out of Fairbanks, BUT next year my wife and I are hoping to do a three-ish week tour of Alaska; I'm sure I'll be in Anchorage on that trip- just had a buddy move there a year ago smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
did few 6 to 10 miles back pack in tenkara fly fishing fishing trips in Montana Wyoming and Montana using light weight zero drop altra trail running shoes. Only carrying around 40 lbs. I Ilike them for early season archery elk, deer too. we had a a number of river crossing and just switched to beach shoes

worked well, held up, no foot ankle issues

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ribka; 06/11/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
Speaking of the brooks trip, are you going to document it here? AAR?

Yeah I can certainly do that smile
Boots aside..... I would be honored to buy you a beer (or even two!) if you have time in town. It's a crazy time of the year, and I am an idiot on a good day, but I would love to hear that story firsthand.

I'll be flying in/out of Fairbanks, BUT next year my wife and I are hoping to do a three-ish week tour of Alaska; I'm sure I'll be in Anchorage on that trip- just had a buddy move there a year ago smile

mtwarden;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day in your part of Montana is giving you decent weather and in all ways behaving.

If for whatever reason you're wandering up or back down on Highway 97 and you're so inclined coffee on the back deck or some decent ice cream at the always busy place down on the highway is on me.

We drove up and back to Dawson City last year with one of the goals being to not travel any more of the roads more than once if possible so up the Cassiar and back down the Alaska Highway and then down along the BC/Alberta border until we hit the north Thompson.

All the best on your hunt and the rest of the summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

Holy cow….if those are issue Bellevilles please tell me this is sarcasm. I generally can be comfortable in boots that don’t fit me quite right but those things are terrible.

It isn’t the weight. I prefer a light boot but the quality of those things are bad. The only thing worse than those were the McRaes.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Finis Mitchell got by with K Mart bibs and their lace up hunting/work boots.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I used some Underarmor boots for 2 seasons when I hunted the SD. Most of it was pretty steep, some rugged, none further than 3.5 miles one way.

The boots were fantastic, water proof, comfortable, decent ankle support, and felt like wearing tennis shoes. They lasted 1/2 a season. Last time I hunted out west I wore my insulated Redwing work boots, non-steel toe. I'm almost positive they're close to indestructible. They have 1000's of hours on them, albiet, kinda heavy.

I'd like a pair of non-steel toes and just use them for hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

Holy cow….if those are issue Bellevilles please tell me this is sarcasm. I generally can be comfortable in boots that don’t fit me quite right but those things are terrible.

It isn’t the weight. I prefer a light boot but the quality of those things are bad. The only thing worse than those were the McRaes.

These are wearin' like iron, and fit great.

A half-size big allows for foot swell in the heat, and an extra sock in the cold.

Outstanding lightweight field boot.

$35/pop.

Ha!

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How many miles of Boulder fields have you covered in these "field boots"?

They are just that.....boots for fields, not mountains.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/15/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just to touch base on this, my wife decided to attempt to complete a calendar-year CDT since we had NM in the bag and this is her jam these days. A calendar-year CDT is a borderline legendary accomplishment for anybody; for a late-50’s recent severe cancer survivor it’s pretty freaking incredible. She’s wearing low-top Topoz. She started at the Canadian border (Glacier NP in Montana) about a month ago and has now completed Glacier, and the Bob, and will be through MT/ID and into Wyoming soon. She’s averaging ~20 miles a day with a high so far of 27 miles. Extremely rugged, difficult hiking with of course a full backpack.

I’m not trying to start shït back up here but it does bear repeating that she’s doing things the vast majority of folks here would basically say was impossible, and she’s doing it in lightweight trail runner type shoes. I encourage folks to reconsider their notions of what’s possible, and of course, what constitutes proper footwear for banging huge miles day after day after week after month in all manner of terrain. A reminder: it ain’t “boots”.

I’m holding down the fort back home to enable this to happen and yes it kinda sux to be me. smile I bought a dirt bike (CRF450 for those who know/care) in revenge and have been enjoying reconnecting with my youthful motorcycle stupidity.

I drew my favorite high-desert (up to 10k or so) mule deer tag this year, which I will be backpack-hunting in extremely rugged, steep, rocky, off-trail terrain. I’ll be wearing my low Solomon’s.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many miles of Boulder fields have you covered in these "field boots"?

They are just that.....boots for fields, not mountains.

Less than piney woods and swamps.

But still quite a bit.

The only thing noticeable is shale.

Vibram sole is better, and heavier.

But they do fine.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a big fan of Hokas, mentioned previously in this thread. Have multiple sets of runners, pretty much live in their flip flops when at home, and generally look to them first anymore.

But ...

Bought a pair of Hoka Kaha (first gen) hikers maybe 18 mos ago that just never delivered on the Hoka comfort/cushion promise.

Currently looking at the Hoka hiker offerings and hope to find a better LW Hoka hiker candidate.

Glad I kept my Salomons (and Asolos) around, though.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a reference point, my wife has now hiked from the Canadian border through Glacier and the Bob and southern Idaho and into Wyoming, and just switched to her next pair of Topoz. I don’t know how many miles- guessing between 600-700.

She’s averaging right around 20 miles/day and her high is 27.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I ditched the Hoka's (not for me) and went with a pair of Topo Ultraventure Pro's... 1/2 lb lighter than my Salomon XUltra's, and a far more cushioned rear sole. They seem like they'll be equally durable. We'll see with more miles on them. I definitely like the toe box.

Good on your wife!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.