Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OGB
Spent about 2 months there in and around Hereford. Pretty rural. People were very nice. Countryside is beautiful.

Pubs are your friend. Pub food ain't bad. Try out the local "bitter". Beer like ale, un-carbonated. Very good stuff and pretty
strong.

Just remember, you're in someone else's house, act like it.

What do you mean by "beer like ale"? Ale is beer, as is lager.

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Not sure if someone else said it already, but Heathrow sucks! Give yourself extra time to make any connections or get through security. Trains are convenient and cheap method of transportation, but getting around in some of the train terminals is confusing. Everything about London is crowded, but the history there is rich. Enjoy the countryside and stop into some of the small town pubs. People are very friendly, if you are and can be very rude if you deserve it. I've enjoyed my trips to the UK, but the food is somewhat bland. Fish and Chips isn't great, but you will need to at least try it.You will need to go to an Indian or Asian restaurant to get any spicy food. If you decide to drive, most all of their vehicles are manual and drive from the right side of the car. The 6 lane round-a-bouts are fun to deal with!

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I don’t have an exact date yet. She got the final ok on her paperwork this past Friday. Hopefully we’ll be going around a weekend so I can spend a few days there and not worry about work. I’m in HVAC and we’re about to get busy. Good advice from all of you. I will definitely sample the beer.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What are your favorite beers at home?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We eagerly await the trip report!

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Stammster
Look both ways before crossing the road.

This is worth repeating. When you step off the sidewalk, the car that runs you over will be coming from the RIGHT, not the left.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Edwin264;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day down in Texas is a tad warmer than up here in south central BC and that you're well.

With the excellent replies you've already received, I'll attempt not to repeat too many. Also my information is from a few years back when our eldest daughter was doing some world travelling.

She said that unlike up here, WiFi wasn't available everywhere. Speaking of your devices, make sure you get adapters for the 220V systems, though she said there was both in some of the buildings and not others.

As mentioned London is super busy, she found it more fast paced than Tokyo, so there's a comparison.

When she traveled from town to town she enjoyed the uniqueness of each place, more than we see here or in our travels in the US.

Some of the places like Liverpool were noticeably "rougher" on football match nights too, but much calmer during daylight.

Definitely go soak up all the history that you can if that's at all your thing. Both of our countries and honestly western society was strongly influenced by England and Common Law so when you're there it'd be educational and interesting to see the birth place of it I'd think.

Our eldest is a bit of a coffee connoisseur and if you are as well, then you like her might be disappointed overall attempting to find a "good" cup of coffee there. wink

Lastly she said that the UK was set up for credit cards much more than her time spent in Japan where a lot of transactions are still cash based - again perhaps that's not the case now - but was 7 odd years back.

Hope that helped, good luck to your daughter on her new job and safe travels.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
An associate of mine was in England last year and she told me it was actually difficult to pay for many things without using a card.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been to London, an international city with a diverse population but where you are going is in the countryside and will be much different. I just returned from Scotland where we put 772 miles on our rental car in eight days taking in the sights. Most people in the UK don't have a favorable impression of Americans, loud, arrogant and boastful, at least that's what some of them think, it may be envy, who knows?

I can tell you it's quite challenging going from a transatlantic flight to a rental car, the steering wheel is on the wrong side, your shifting a manual with your left hand and your driving on the wrong side of the road, traffic circles are your nemesis. That said, it's not too bad after a good nights sleep and you reset your expectations.

Outside the major cities, I've found people in the UK are decent and friendly but also remember, you are a guest in their country so be respectful of their rules and customs. If you're looking to save money on food, remember Aldi is your friend and was a regular stop for us. We ate our daily meals out but dinners in our lodging with a good bottle of whiskey and wine for the Mrs.

Thankfully they speak English in the UK so you have that going for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
An associate of mine was in England last year and she told me it was actually difficult to pay for many things without using a card.

mathman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's been kind to you thus far and you're well.

Thanks for the more recent info, it's one of the cool things about a site this size and scope.

That's an interesting tidbit for sure and indeed shows how life changes and quickly at that.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
When you go to visit at someone 's home Do Not move the furniture around....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Do we dare set up a pool for bail money ? eek grin

Hope you enjoy yourself !!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Pretty much anything made by Shiner

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks Dwayne

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Chit I hope not! I don’t want to go to jail!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Was stationed there for three years, but that was almost fifty years ago. Brush up on your dart skills, don't hit up on women at the pub unless you're ready to rumble. Bread actually taste like bread there, pop has a higher sugar content. If you decide to visit London drive to the outskirts and take the tube the rest of the way. Watch out for pick pocketers in London too. You'll be amazed at the number of pheasants you'll see ifin you drive through farm country. If you happen to hit one ya can't keep it, the person behind you can... 🙂

And driving ain't all that bad there, learn how to navigate roundabouts quickly.

Don't be offended is someone tells you to keep your pecker up... 🤣

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I’ll post some pictures here when I go

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by RupertBear
So, you are going to a country to which you've never been where the laws, customs, and very usage of English are different from what you're accustomed to, and you are going to be the arbiter of what is stupid? Look in the mirror first.
RB

You should really keep your cockholster shut.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Being from the Republic of Texas, that’s gonna be a challenge Lol

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Being from the Republic of Texas, that’s gonna be a challenge Lol

Sorry, that was directed at that leftist POS Rupert.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 14,806 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,171
Posts18,543,004
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.