-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got a new r29x and a Burris Oracle X scope. Looking for some help with the best grain weight for my broadheads. I have always shot 100gr but thought with this faster xbow it may be more beneficial to use a heavier broadhead. Is it personal preference or are you getting better results from a certain weight?? I will be shooting the Ravin 400gr arrows. I was wondering what your experiences have been with 100 and 125gr broadheads.

Thanks in advance,

Reno

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No idea what is best, but im sticking with 100 grain quality broadheads per Ravin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flyphishr
Just got a new r29x and a Burris Oracle X scope. Looking for some help with the best grain weight for my broadheads. I have always shot 100gr but thought with this faster xbow it may be more beneficial to use a heavier broadhead. Is it personal preference or are you getting better results from a certain weight?? I will be shooting the Ravin 400gr arrows. I was wondering what your experiences have been with 100 and 125gr broadheads.

Thanks in advance,

Reno

I’m shooting an R5x and shoot Ravin bolts. Last year I used their broadheads and they worked great.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 02/18/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shoot an Excalibur but have always favored a heavier tip. I am shooting their 150 grain model. My total bolt weight is 500 grains. The moment gain surpasses the limited loss in velocity. Also easier on your bow

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well I decided to start doing my own testing. I have shot the Sevr and Thron but I am still waiting for a few more packs to get delivered before really get into it. Testing the following brands.

Sevr
Thorn
Rek
OZ
Tooth of the arrow
Thrive
ram cat
swhacker
bloodsport
sik
rage

Attached Images
IMG_0924.jpg (13.96 KB, 142 downloads)
Last edited by flyphishr; 03/24/23.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would determine the total optimal arrow/bolt weight for the set up you are shooting. Then use the correct combination of insert and broadhead to achieve the correct FOC for it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Thorn is 16.8% and the Sevr is 15.3%. Both fly great out to 75yrds. Had to pack it up due to rain before I got out to 100yrs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Thanks in advance,

Reno

I get great results shooting 400gr arrows and 125gr broadheads in my Ravin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Ravin bows give a lot of energy. Look for the heaviest shaft you can find for it and team.it up with a 150 or 200 grain head.
Initial velocity is slower but retained energy is higher at 40 or 50 yards.
I have an Excalibur and I run a 500 grain bolt. Really helps if you hit a rib.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Going heavier will affect the scope yardage marks POA/POI if you plan on shooting at distance.
I can't see any reason to shoot heavier than 125gr cut on contact three blades. Have not seen an animal yet that could catch one.
And I only have a R9. And shoot inside 25 yds.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WTM45 made to comment about scope settings and it may affect yours.
On my Excal I can adjust the velocity setting of my scope so as to match the bow. I had to sight in at 20 and then adjust the setting to get hold and impact t to match at longer distances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to build a proper back stop.

I think there is a lot left on the table when it comes to understanding the physics of crossbows.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WStrayer
On my Excal I can adjust the velocity setting of my scope so as to match the bow. I had to sight in at 20 and then adjust the setting to get hold and impact t to match at longer distances.

Same type of setup with the Ravin optics. At least the 450FPS ones.
But the magnification is changed when the dial is moved to set for different trajectory.

Not sure if the locking ring 550FPS optic on the R29X is exactly the same, in that the magnification is changed.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WTM45
Going heavier will affect the scope yardage marks POA/POI if you plan on shooting at distance.
I can't see any reason to shoot heavier than 125gr cut on contact three blades. Have not seen an animal yet that could catch one.

I'm using the Burris Oracle. All my distances are "locked" in out to 100yrds. I can set it for 2 different bolt weights. So I have one set for the 400 gr bolt +100gr broadhead and one set for 125gr broadhead.

But the magnification is changed when the dial is moved to set for different trajectory.

Not sure if the locking ring 550FPS optic on the R29X is exactly the same, in that the magnification is changed.

On the Burris you can change the magnification without affecting anything.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've just been using cheap ass 100 gr. NAP shockwave crossbow expandable broadheads the last two seasons {cost 19.99 per 3 two years ago}. Judging by how far they're buried in the ground on the far side, I don't think deer are slowing them down much. Only killed 4 so far but 3 of the 4 were down in less than 30 yards and all left good blood trails. Last seasons buck only managed 2 bounds and down. I ain't wasting any more money on broadheads when these are working so well. They may not work in a Ravin as they're only rated for crossbows up to 400 fps but they sure are working fine in my Centerpoint Sniper.. Make your arrow/head combination too heavy and you'll slow that blazing fast bow right back down so what's the point ? You sure don't need extra energy offered by more weight to put bolts right through deer at any reasonable distance. I'd shoot some 100 grain broadheads at targets to check accuracy and if good, stick with them.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I'm using the Burris Oracle. All my distances are "locked" in out to 100yrds. I can set it for 2 different bolt weights. So I have one set for the 400 gr bolt +100gr broadhead and one set for 125gr broadhead.

I should have read up on the Burris that you clearly stated you were using before I injected my .02. I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info on the Burris. Gives me something to look into, as I'm not real pleased with the Ravin scope.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I should have read up on the Burris that you clearly stated you were using before I injected my .02. I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info on the Burris. Gives me something to look into, as I'm not real pleased with the Ravin scope.

The Burris is awesome once you get it set up. There's a good video on YouTube I would suggest watching. It helped me. I put a link to it below.

BURRIS ORACLE X SET UP

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Link isn't working but go on you yube and in the serch bar punch in "Must Watch!!! Best Demonstration Setup Video on the Internet for The Burris Oracle X?"

Last edited by flyphishr; 03/28/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
never had any trouble with 100 grn rage hypodermics

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.