Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
if you were to build a setup from the ground up:

so cartridge, to reloading dies, casting equipment and just for fun we could even include firearm too

what's ur ideal setup for casting and shooting say a 1 to 2k rounds a year. we have access to lots of free lead.

weighing pros and cons of say a lever gun in 357 magnum for the kids to have fun on.

vs say a bolt gun in 308. or heck even a 223 bolt gun.

this is wide open. would like decent accuracy to keep it relevant. and not worry about stockpiling bullets and powder. we got a couple 4lb jugs of free pistol powder from a local grey beard.

been hiking a billion miles getting into shape. good to chew on something while ur putting in the work.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh my God, what a question!!

Very first step, before buying a single thing, and before acting on any advice from anybody regarding equipment (including me): get a copy of Lyman's cast bullet handbook, for sure, and any other cast bullet books you can lay your hands on. Read the how-to section of the book, then re-read it. That way you can start formulating in your mind what gear you'll need that'll suit your goal, and can ask intelligent questions and understand the answers you'll get. At that point start inquiring of the old hands for practical advice.

One thing to know before jumping in: just how involved do you want to get? Are you a techno-junkie who revels in having lots of "stuff", or are you a K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) kind of guy?

Personally, of your choices of gun to start casting for, I would go with the .357 Magnum lever gun. Easy to load for, easy to cast for, and very versatile for everything from backyard plinking to whacking deer at fairly close range - and a hoot to shoot. The .223 is more for someone who's attained a little knowledge in casting - not difficult, for sure, but requires a bit of experience. The .357 is very forgiving. A .308 is excellent, and lots of effort has gone into providing a dizzying array of .30 molds, but I still think the .357 is easier to get your feet wet with.

Good luck and have fun!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I agree on the 357. I’d be looking for a Ruger 77/357 most likely myself. Or if I had to have a lever rifle I’d go ahead and find a late model Winchester 92, much more gun for the money.

I’d recommend that if you’re serious and want to get into the hobby that you buy a good mold right out of the gate. I’m cheap and I limped along with Lees and junk Lymans that I rehabbed in one way or another since they were cheap. It’s so much more enjoyable when you don’t have to fight with your equipment.

A nice mold in a RNFP or TC nose profile or even a RN design if it’s just for targets, all of these shapes will feed well in a rifle. A set of carbide 38sp dies. A sack of brass and a keg of Unique, 231, Power Pistol, or some other medium burn rate powder will have the potential for a lot of fun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is going to be a long read.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Even though you sound like a younger man....Maybe it'd be fun to widen your horizon to some old classics (nothing in the world wrong with the .357 for sure) but records lasting a hundred years were set with such dinosaurs as the .32-40, .38-55 or even the versatile .38-40. If you prefer the common and available fine, it makes good sense. If you go classic, there are firearms that range from fairly cheap, "I think it'll clean up and I can make it shoot" to old closet queens with perfect bores and collector value. Only accurate rifles are interesting, and a well maintained, properly fed classic doesn't give up much, if anything, to the mass produced rifles of today.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I agree with the practical 357(38 Special), but I would entertain a 1894cl 32-20 Marlin and throw a Skinner peep on it, maybe snag a Ruger Blackhawk to go with it or an old Smith or Colt.

I used to use a 115 FN for both purposes, lots of pistol powders work in it, Blackhorn or the real deal.

Get a four or five cavity NOE, I prefer RCBS dies, lubesizer and the only pots I'd recommend are backordered or are no longer made. A Star if you're serious on the sizer.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bolt gun in either 308 or 358.
Both have a wide variety of loading velocities and projies.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had more fun with casting the .358" in 35 rem and whelen than the 308, but 308 is close. Pistol bullets have shot amazingly well in the whelen at modest speeds. It's a hoot to show up with it at a handgun only range that requires lead bullets and pistol velocities. I enjoy them all, but 35 and 308 are my favorites. I seldom cast 22's and 45-70, but they work there too.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Where you going to shoot? Free lead lasts forever if your smart enough to build and use a reclaimable backstop from the get go. Especially when you consider tin and antimony are not free and damned expensive to replace when you don't recover it. Address that first. You asked..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dan,

I can't get that link to work for me.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I cast for a lot of stuff, and for different reasons.

357 in a lever action with 16" (or longer) barrel will work well for whitetail where I am. And you can shoot 38 through it too.

What I like about 38 special, it's inherently subsonic. And if using a good 9mm suppressor on it, is just as quiet (or maybe even moreso) than 147 gr 9mm subsonics.

Even +P 38 are subsonic, even out of a 16 inch barrel, so it is a really good host caliber.

The same applies to 44 magnum and 44 special too.

But like I said, I cast for a lot of things. 45acp. 40/10mm. 9mm. 12 gauge slug. There are others, but I don't cast for full bore rifle rounds. I don't like using gas checks and to me, pistol caliber stuff (or subsonic rifle) stuff is more what interests me.

I would also suggest buying a small toaster oven from a thrift store and do your own powder coating as well. I do the shake n bake method. Works really well. Cheap too and saves some work scrubbing the bore of your gun(s) too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another bonus about pistol calibers.

They use A LOT less powder per charge too. You can load around three or four 38 special for every one 223.

You can load ~five or more 357 for every one 308.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Dan,

I can't get that link to work for me.

Ed

Dunno why, it works for me. Try your Googlefoo on "Los Angeles Silhouette Club" and see what pops up. The link above is for the "Notes" page...the informative page.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by johna1
I would also suggest buying a small toaster oven from a thrift store and do your own powder coating as well. I do the shake n bake method. Works really well. Cheap too and saves some work scrubbing the bore of your gun(s) too.

The guy hasn't even cast his first bullet yet....

What's this "bore scrubbing" you refer to? I can't remember the last time I scrubbed leading out of a bore, and I have yet to powder coat my first bullet (although I have shot a few that were gifted me through one gun only, successive experiments in that gun have been with traditional bullets and my results were then better). PC'ing is superfluous, IMO, for .38 Special/.357 Magnum. Join the fad and try it if you must, but shooters got along fine for over a century without it, and those who didn't get along fine without it were doing something drastically wrong.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^This should be engraved on Mt Rushmore^^^

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is just plain Jane w/o powder coat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Why would I start powder coating?

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
35 whelen for rifle

easy enough to shoot hi power loads and plinkers for all seasons.

357mag for pistol, same reason

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm with gnoahhh, flintlocke, & DigitalDan on this powder coat thing. Have nothing against it but have no personal reason to go there.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If, like most folks, you have a lubesizer like the RCBS or Star you can (must) lube and size at the same time ... one operation. Bullet fit is key and if you are lucky enough to have a mold that casts the exactly correct bullet diameter than no sizer is needed. Chances of that happening are slim though.

Point is that you are likely to need to size your bullets. You will then also need to lube. Lubing makes sizing easier so why not do both operations at the same time.

Have not seen the point in powder coating - yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.