-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the websight the only regular old fashioned nice BP reticles are caliber specific :Shotgun, muzzle load, 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. No idea if there is really a difference between them - or it would matter. Fullfield are a great deal and solid as heck scopes.

Do you know if the E1 turrets are crisper than the FF2's? At least they are a lot easier to read (more 'things' I am looking for)

My other thread and some text with friends is a hilarity of circular process and over thinking trying to get 'exactly' what I want. Probably familiar with this drill yourself.

Not Chinese.... rule #1
Love old Weavers but not sure about the latest iteration Vista Outdoors Weaver and am sort of warded off it - and not thrilled with skinny reticle.
Didn't like the E1 reticle but was trying to get past that ...could make due maybe- but needs taller mounts.
Started by looking at the Tract Response but pretty underwhelming feedback -and more than either Weaver or Burris which is a known quality to me,
Checked out Sightron and was leaning after seeing the Gen2 S1 getting good marks. Not uber tall turrets but not great reticle...
looked Bushnell....passed....only duplex....and Chinese ....I tihnk.

You won't believe where I wound up ....about five minutes ago. About to send Doug and order and pull the trigger ....afraid to say it on this forum......lol

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/11/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by kenjs1
You won't believe where I wound up ....about five minutes ago. About to send Doug and order and pull the trigger ....afraid to say it on this forum......lol

ah c'mon you can tell me.... it's just us two here... lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
On the websight the only regular old fashioned nice BP reticles are caliber specific :Shotgun, muzzle load, 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. No idea if there is really a difference between them - or it would matter. Fullfield are a great deal and solid as heck scopes.

Do you know if the E1 turrets are crisper than the FF2's? At least they are a lot easier to read (more 'things' I am looking for)

That would be a question to ask Burris, IME they have been very good about answering emails.

As to the turrets, see MD's comments here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...is/Search/true/re-burris-e1#Post17563240

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Enjoy your Leupold!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Enjoy your Leupold!

I bought two VX-3's in the past week. No worries.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Both are JUNK....haven't touched a Weaver in over 50 years.....haven't touched a Burris in over 40 years and will never touch one.....wouldn't put either one on a BB gun.....

Then, how the FUGG would you know a damned thing about either brand of them, good or bad?

LOL. That's a grand slam homer right there.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I was a little disappointed with the optical quality of some of the new Weaver Classics I tried (6-24Xs, IIRC). They aren't a ripoff and I didn't perceive them to be junk...they just weren't up to my own requirements or desires. To be perfectly fair I had to spend a good bit more to get an optic that pleased me, and what pleases me might be a lot more than what is needed by someone else, or a lot less. It's all a "YMMV" proposition.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No experience with Weaver, but I just ordered my 6th Burris. 3 FFIIs, one E1, and 2 4Xs. In over 20 years haven't had an issue.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Enjoy your Leupold!
Shhhh........they'll hear, but yeah....you got me!

After taking a look it ticked off all the boxes...ALL of them... including reticle and turrets and mounts.......maybe not quite the killer deal but to get 'exactly' what I want is so very rare and worth a few extra bucks. It still isn't expensive in scope terms. I admit I have gotten spoiled over the years with the performance of Fullfields and Weaver K's for dirt cheap but I don't feel I am being charged ball park beer price here- and I get to support Doug's business- AND I know both he and Leupold will make things right if needed. I have aVx3 that's been rocking for years. What I got was a VX-Freedom Hunt Plex. Up until yesterday I had not even looked at or considered them and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those old FFII with adj. objective are good ones. I've 3 of the original 4.5-14 with bal plex reticle and like them. They stay where adjusted and don't get moved, don't lose zero. Awhile back I stumbled onto someone online selling them pretty cheap, don't remember the place though. Also have several of the older V-16 Weavers and like them too. You see them for sale occasionally.

*****. Amazon has those old FF!!'s.

Last edited by Ackman; 04/12/23. Reason: addition
IC B3

ElkSnort #18335543 04/12/23
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

Last edited by ElkSnort; 04/12/23. Reason: get it's own thread
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm pretty sure the Bushnell's are Korean made also as they fall under Vista Outdoors also.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a brand new 3-9x40 E1 with a standard plex reticle (not ballistic plex), and I'll be danged if I can remember where I got it (sux getting old). I think I'm going to mount it on a Savage 16 in .260 Remington that I've had for ten years and have a total of 35 rounds through. It's a cartridge that just never seemed to fire me up.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Burris E1 standard duplex is pretty thick,as in easy to see in low-light…

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I had a Weaver V10 on my Win 70 .280 Rem for 20 years of PA deer hunting and it never lost zero. I think I paid a whole $230 from Midway. Too bad they didn't keep the same Japanese manufacturer. However, I have been considering the current Weaver offering for a CZ 457 Varmint that needs a scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
I'm pretty sure the Bushnell's are Korean made also as they fall under Vista Outdoors also.
Baydog you are correct. Both Weaver and Bushnell. Doesn't seem anything wrong with either but those (Philippine) Burris are just such a known quantity- and a bargain.

. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like them both. I've been buying Full Field scopes lately, because of MD's write up on them.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought several from Natchez a couple years ago on a blowout.

If those are what we are discussing?
Was impressed by everything for the price range.

Except, the eyebox.
Harder to get into than Leupold or my Elite 3200s.
Not terrible, but I only used the rimfire and one of 3 3x9s.

Personally, getting field of view is the #1 thing.
Optics don't matter until you see them, neither do reticles, or adjustments.

I know that's not exactly true, but I'm a hunter.
Playing peek a boo in the 2 seconds one has to shoot a deer is not acceptable.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Bought several from Natchez a couple years ago on a blowout.

If those are what we are discussing?
Was impressed by everything for the price range.

Except, the eyebox.
Harder to get into than Leupold or my Elite 3200s.
Not terrible, but I only used the rimfire and one of 3 3x9s.

Personally, getting field of view is the #1 thing.
Optics don't matter until you see them, neither do reticles, or adjustments.

I know that's not exactly true, but I'm a hunter.
Playing peek a boo in the 2 seconds one has to shoot a deer is not acceptable.

Not the same scopes. The new Weaver Classics are a Natchez exclusive build series and are made in South Korea. Very similar to Bushnell's "Prime" series I believe.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
A comment on the Burris FF II in 4.5-14x42 anyway.

I have had one on a Win 70 in 264 for many, many years. Have never been displeased with it in any way. I have a brand new one in the box in the safe.

I am currently setting up a Win 70 in 7 RM for my son. This Burris FF II touches the barrel in low Talley LW ring mounts.

The Talleys are all I have on hand at the moment, so the rifle got a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.

I have some medium Talleys on order. We may switch out the scope later if the son prefers a bit higher magnification.

If he thinks it needs a Shmitt and Bender, he is welcome to buy one. But that Bushnell presents a beautiful sight picture. Possibly brighter than the Burris.

ETA: at $130 for the 3-9x40 or the 4.5-14, they are a steal on Amazon. Available in kits with rings or covers for a bit higher.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 04/26/23.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 60 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.