Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18340201 04/14/23
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been on the hunt for a light rifle, since I shattered my right leg and resulting in a fused ankle. I notice weight a lot more whe hunting, so I've been trying to cut weight both from myself and my gear.

So I went to town the other day to search for a light rifle, the CA Mesa FFT and Howa Superlite were the two I was most interested in. I couldn't find the Mesa but got to handle the Ridgeline as well as the Howa. It ultimately boiled down to budget and convenience as I took a 300 mile round trip to find these rifles, so the Howa in .308 Win came home with me for $920 out the door.

The rifle is touted to weigh 4 lbs 7 oz and thats a bit of false advertising my rifle, as my rifle weighed 4 lbs 10.6 oz.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The next issue was the bolt cutting into the scope base.

I got the base back last night, my GS milled off the base and recoated it for $25. I mounted up my 4-20X50 Helos BTR Gen 2 on it and that made the rifle weigh 6 lbs 9 oz. I then configured my suppressor as light as I could get it and threw it on the scale and the rifle weighed 7 lbs 7.1 oz.

I don't know what scope for sure is going to end up on this rifle, as I bought the one I mounted for my 6 Creedmoor. I was going to use my NF 3-10X42 SHV which would shave a couple of ounces off. Or I might look for something different that gets me under 20 oz.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any which way you slice it, 7lbs or so with a can and a solid 30mm scope is a pretty light package for a bolt gun.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
would be interested in how it shoots... However, no offense intended, but you are buying a rifle for weight savings and then putting a heavy scope on it and a suppressor. That seems kind of counter productive. I would downgrade that scope to something realistic for a light rifle setup and also make sure to go aluminum rings and drop the suppressor if you are really concerned about weight... Going with a simple 3x9x40 or 4-14x140 you 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound just in the scope... Removing the one piece base and going with Talley lightweight rings would also probably save you some weight

Best of luck and please let us know how it shoots.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A suppressed rifle with a scope you like under 8 lbs seems like a success to me. You could certainly save som weight on the scope & drop the can but to get similar recoil reduction a brake would be needed - not the same pleasant to shoot rifle at all.

My elk rifle in 300 Weatherby is over 9 lbs & I really shoot 8+ lb rifles better so I’d call your build good & start hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good set up. Looks pretty damn cool to me.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako
and drop the suppressor if you are really concerned about weight...

From what I'm gathering, taylor bought the super-lightweight so he COULD enjoy the suppressor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like buying a new rifle, congrats, hope it shoots well for you!!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by SKane
and drop the suppressor if you are really concerned about weight...

From what I'm gathering, taylor bought the super-lightweight so he COULD enjoy the suppressor.

Exactly

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Really whish Howa would make a run of these in lefty.

I'd be on one without hesitation.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
N
N
nice looking setup!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

I don't expect my decisions will agree with everyone, this one may not even agree with what I'm wanting to do. However, I invested money and time into getting a suppressor, so I want as many rifles as possible I can use it with.

I went out and shot it this morning to break in the barrel. I put 32 rounds down the tube, 20 150gr PPU, 6 Hornady 150gr AW, and 6 wincherster 150gr PP. It's a pretty lively rifle from the bench as I shot it without the suppressor because of cleaning between shots.

It took three shots to get the rifle centered somewhat on target, if I hadn't been distracted (moved elevation wrong way) by a phone call I'd have done it in two. I'm not going to proclaim it's a shooter yet, but it shot the PPU better than my other .308 Win. I managed to keep the group 2.25-2.5" at 100 for 14 shots, my other rifle shoots this ammunition about 4 MOA. The AW shot slightly better (3 rounds 2 MOA) with approximately same POA/POI, but nothing to brag about.

I then screwed on the suppressor, and all heII broke lose. I shot 3 rounds of AW and 6 of Win PP, and was lucky to stay on paper. The nine shots went over 8"!

I can't say I didn't consider this might happen. I'm hanging 14 oz of suppressor on a very thin barrel. I would like to invest in a lighter suppressor, but this may not be a good platform for any suppressor. Plus it'll be a 9+ month wait and another $1500 to get a suppressor that weighs less than 7 ounces.

I recently purchased some virgin Lapua brass and have several bullets to choose from 125-168 grain. I'll be happy if I can get this rifle shooting consistently 1.5 MOA at 400 yards, very happily if it's that suppressed. It's pretty lively from the bench, but not as bad as I thought it might be. I probably won't be shooting a lot of 180s anytime soon.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bummer. I hope you get it to work. I never considered the possible negative effects of a heavy suppressor on a light barrel.

You could tie a large helium birthday balloon to the suppressor to offset its weight. Or a camo one when hunting. 🤣

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Ridgeline FFT that I put my suppressor on and the first shot was 6-7" high and 5-6" to the right. Like you not what I expected. I have heard suppressors will change POI and just didn't know how much. I made my adjustments to the scope and as it turns out the rifle shoots better with the suppressor.

Last edited by Deans; 04/15/23.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
However, no offense intended, but you are buying a rifle for weight savings and then putting a heavy scope on it and a suppressor. That seems kind of counter productive.

I like around an 7-8 lbs all up rifle for hunting. My current .308 Win goes almost 10 lbs all up suppressed. My goal wasn't to have an extremely light rifle, but an under 8 lbs or under suppressed rifle.

The scope isn't staying on this rifle, it is for my 6mm Creedmoor. I just couldn't resist not shooting the rifle, and that one was handy. I've thought about throwing a FX3 6X on it and seeing how light I can keep it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New rifles, or new to you rifles are always exciting - congrats!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My one 308 sits at 7 lbs with no ammo, other one is 8 lbs or a bit lighter.
Still carry heavy 375 and 300 magnums, but light rifles are nice.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's a dang bummer about accuracy falling apart with the suppressor mounted. I hope you can get it sorted. I'd be tempted to piddle with trying to find a way to put some temporary barrel pressure on the fore end. Some "pencil" barrels prefer that pressure. Some don't.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Regarding the addition of the suppressor (even without) it might be good to:

1. Bed the action/lug well/stress free , check barrel clearance and forend stiffness, then see how it shoots with the suppressor.
2. If it's still not what you want, full length bed the barrel channel.

I'm beginning to become a fan of full length bedding with light barreled hunting rifles. I've not had any drastically change from being free floated, they were already shooting well, but of the couple I've done they've seemed to be less picky about holds from the bench. I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it but on already bedded actions (action and lug), I've just taped off the sides of the barrel channel, put enough bedding in the channel to fill it, then tightened the actions screws the same amount as I'd normally tighten them, and wipe off the excess bedding that squeezes out. Again, there may be a better technique but that's what I've done with already bedded actions. I'm not going to go through all my rifles and full length bed but I haven't found a downside yet and I really like less trash/water getting in the barrel channel.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd be tempted to piddle with trying to find a way to put some temporary barrel pressure on the fore end. Some "pencil" barrels prefer that pressure.

It's not bedded, and I'm just trying to get a baseline accuracy with the rifle before I do anything to it. I've thought about shimming the barrel and see if would calm things down. However, I'm glad it rained and my range is muddy as honestly 32 rounds mostly unsuppressed with a 6.5 lb rifle and my shoulder is feeling it today.

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Regarding the addition of the suppressor (even without) it might be good to:

1. Bed the action/lug well/stress free , check barrel clearance and forend stiffness, then see how it shoots with the suppressor.
2. If it's still not what you want, full length bed the barrel channel.

There isn't much clearance in the forend, I wouldn't call it free floated at all. There is some flex, but not like an injection molded stock. I've had full length bedded stocks, and those rifles shot well.

I'm hesitant to mess with action screw torques too much since the TG/BM is polymer and I dont want to crack it. Still I might have the stock pillared as well, though I don't know how much the CF bedding block will compress. I wish there was an alloy option after market TG/BM, I emailed DIP and Oregunsmithing and they have no plans to manufacture it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First thing I’d do is bed the action and float the barrel. Then I would recheck my scope for level and redial. Fine tune at the range minus the canister. See what she’s actually capable of doing after bedding and floating. It’s fairly easy to get a 308 WCF to shoot sub MOA in any turn bolt gun with just about anything you feed it. Possibly knowing you may have a .75 MOA shooter, I would then work on the canister and play with tensioning as necessary on both canister and barreled action. At least you’ll know what the rifle is capable of without the suppressor.

By bedding the action and floating the barrel the canister weight and carry is predominately on the barreled action. In having it that way the moment arm is on the action and action screws, the stock should play little to no part in adjustment. The goal is to alleviate variables as best as possible. Thankfully the Howa has a very large, flat recoil lug and beds nicely giving very good accuracy. Once bedded the tensioning of the action screws (tang and recoil) alone may allow you to dial the suppressor in for greater accuracy. In the end it’s a game of trial and remedies until satisfied with results.

Some may disagree with bedding the action and floating the barrel but the probability of gaining increased accuracy has been shown time and again by doing so. I like a fixed 6x on a 308 WCF, my Howa 308 WCF wears a Springfield Armory Gov. 6-40.

Only my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 32 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,779
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.