Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My boss is retiring and we want to get her a backpack. She and her husband will be heading to New Zealand for a several months visit. They plan on doing some back country trips and she wants to use one backpack for travel and hiking. I've had a number of packs over the years, some backpacking (Gregory, Kelty, Mountainsmith) as well as Badlands, Seek Outside and Stone Glacier. My current favorite pack is the Stone Glacier but before I order it I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion that I might be missing. She's not a hunter but her husband is so there's a chance she'll even use a load shelf at some point.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ll be interested to see what recommendations are made as I’m looking for something similar. Thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think most of the SG packs would be sort of frustrating as a travel pack. Hard to say what level of backpacking they'll be doing, so it makes the recommendation tough.

I had an osprey porter 46 (https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-travel-pack-46-PORTER46F20.html) that was on the other end of that spectrum. Great travel pack, but not much of a backpacking pack. I miss having it for travel, but I was trying to make it into a work pack and it just wasn't that. Something to think about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the Kifaru day packs. The Antero 2.0 and the 22 Mag especially.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get her a pack around 4lb or less. Doesn't need to be a fu fu brand hunting pack!

To start: https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-packs

...or equivalent.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
I think most of the SG packs would be sort of frustrating as a travel pack. Hard to say what level of backpacking they'll be doing, so it makes the recommendation tough.

I had an osprey porter 46 (https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-travel-pack-46-PORTER46F20.html) that was on the other end of that spectrum. Great travel pack, but not much of a backpacking pack. I miss having it for travel, but I was trying to make it into a work pack and it just wasn't that. Something to think about.

Originally Posted by Lonny

Thanks for the suggestions cwh2 & Lonny. I should have provided more information in my first post. She wants a backpack that she can travel and live out of. I let her try a couple of mine and she liked the fit of the SG Solo the best. She wants something in the 3500 cubic inch range that she can have everything in - no additional bags (I told her she'd be doing laundry pretty regularly). She and her husband are fit and will probably make several multi-day backpacking trips yearly.

The SG isn't perfect for organization. I was considering the Seek Peregrine 3500 but I don't own that model so I don't know if it's better. The Kifaru 357 mag looks like a possibility but I don't know anything about Kifaru.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive got a Hill people gear junction pack on the way.. edc / travel size pack.

Gets good reviews. Usa made.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If by "one backpack for travel" that means taking said backpack by carry on baggage when on airplanes, the full sized packs have been a bit much for me. I have done it with my Hunter's Frame Kifaru and Reckoning but it BARELY fit into the overhead bins of bigger airlines. If this pack is to go into checked baggage, this is a moot point.

These days when traveling, I normally have a Kifaru Shapecharge as my carry on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If the pack might have to be checked, I wouldn't want a lot of exterior pockets that bulge out and could get hung up on baggage conveyors. One way around that is to have a zippered duffel you can put the pack in for checking.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
If the pack might have to be checked, I wouldn't want a lot of exterior pockets that bulge out and could get hung up on baggage conveyors. One way around that is to have a zippered duffel you can put the pack in for checking.
That's how I travel with my Kifaru Longhunter. Inexpensive REI zippered bag keeps all of the straps and buckles from getting snagged. It worked well for me for 2 weeks in Italy.

Regarding size, something to live out of is going to be tough if it's needed to fit as a carryon. Some smaller planes will do the plane side check for oversized carryon's. If it's to be checked, get the size and fit she likes and a bag to stuff it in.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's how I travel with my Kifaru Longhunter. Inexpensive REI zippered bag keeps all of the straps and buckles from getting snagged. It worked well for me for 2 weeks in Italy.

Regarding size, something to live out of is going to be tough if it's needed to fit as a carryon. Some smaller planes will do the plane side check for oversized carryon's. If it's to be checked, get the size and fit she likes and a bag to stuff it in.

I should have thought of a bag to put it in and check it, I have a Marmot Long Hauler that I stuff my pack in.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My wife is a Kiwi and we have backpacked 3 of their big hikes. My only comment is we used big laundry bags to put our backpacks in so the straps are covered and it keeps them cleaner and adds a bit protection from wandering hands.
And protects them if they are checked.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
on our last trip to NZ we faced the same dilemma. While it was a mostly a sightseeing trip we spent a few days chasing Thar from a sheep sheering shed. I recommend a panel loader instead of a top stuffer. It lays flat in a hotel room and you can get at stuff without unloading the whole pack. I use a Kifaru Siwash but they may not be made anymore. It fit in the overhead of mainline aircraft but not in commuter aircraft. Be advised that Air New Zealand has a weight limit on carry on luggage. They had a spotter watching after we cleared security and check in. My wife got pulled over because she had a larger pack but we put all the light stuff in her pack. My smaller pack had binos, spotting scope, etc. and weighed a ton but I got a pass because of the smaller size.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Took on of these to Europe last summer.

Was great until the airlines declared it was too large to carry one, and made me check it.

That said, it carried everything I needed for two weeks in one pack.

Originally Posted by cwh2

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a Kifaru Spike Camp for all my traveling. I don’t believe it is made anymore but it easily fits the size requirements and can haul fairly heavy loads if called upon to do so.

Hopefully it will be hauling a tahr in New Zealand in a couple months to add to its list of animals!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I used to take my Kifaru but was a bit big for some overhead

I picked this up last year and have flown a lot with it Fishing. I throw it in a game bag if goes into cargo area

Like it a lot

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/193041/alps-mountaineering-nomad-rt-50-pack

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This has become the pack I use when I travel.

https://www.rei.com/product/207737/osprey-farpoint-40-travel-pack-mens

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Because she wanted to it as a suitcase during travel and use it for multiple day backcountry trips, I went with the Seek Divide 4800. I suggested a duffel to put it in and getting a storage locker in Auckland.

We had a retirement party for 4 of my friends yesterday including my boss, there are only a couple left that are more senior than me.

R
R
Originally Posted by Lonny

I own both in G1 versions. Neither fits requirements at all... Antero is a daypack, great that, won't fit travel needs at all. 22 mag is bag on frame with overload capability. Sure, she could sandwich a duffel between the bag and frame. Unnecessary load carriage capacity (even with a 22" frame) and currently priced as if sewn with gold thread.

R
R
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
I use a Kifaru Spike Camp for all my traveling. I don’t believe it is made anymore but it easily fits the size requirements and can haul fairly heavy loads if called upon to do so.

Hopefully it will be hauling a tahr in New Zealand in a couple months to add to its list of animals!

Great pack. 2,400 cubic inch. Same as the Express, Molle Express. Here's a Rokslide post on it. Includes discussion of the Antero and the 22mag, which I don't think fit the bill..Spike Camp for travel on Rokslide

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.