Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
5 or 6 years ago I got my hands on a bunch of 165 gr Accubond seconds that I use in my '06. I've shot 4 elk with them since then. AB's open up and destroy the chest cavity and seldom exit. I've found them under the far side hide more than anything. None of those elk have gone anywhere. I have about 200 of them left and they'll likely last until I'm too old to chase elk.

ABs have replaced PTs in my opinion. Wider expansion and a bit more accurate in general. We’ve seen the same ourselves from 140’s in 270’s up to 225 in 358’s. They’re darned good. Be cool if they made more.

Semper Fi
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have killed a bunch of big game with Interlocks--and pre-Interlock Spire Points--including a mule deer that field-dressed 232 pounds, after hanging for a week. They work very well, and are among my favorite big game bullets.

But have also culled hundreds of deer-sized animals in places from various southern states--though most often Texas-- to Africa. In general I do prefer bullet performance more like the Interlock for such work--which includes Nosler Ballistic Tips and Remington Core-Lokts (some of which in factory ammo have been Interlocks).

But have also used plenty of Bergers. If you use them enough to understand how they work, and place them accordingly, on average they have killed big game quicker than any other bullet used, including Interlocks and Ballistic Tips.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I asked Hornady recently why they don't offer up a bonded bullet for the 9.3. Most everything gets offered a DGX-bonded or at least an Interbond.

Their response - We think the Interlock we offer for the 9.3 in the Dangerous Game Series product line is just dandy. Proven performer.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have killed a bunch of big game with Interlocks--and pre-Interlock Spire Points--including a mule deer that field-dressed 232 pounds, after hanging for a week. They work very well, and are among my favorite big game bullets.

But have also culled hundreds of deer-sized animals in places from various southern states--though most often Texas-- to Africa. In general I do prefer bullet performance more like the Interlock for such work--which includes Nosler Ballistic Tips and Remington Core-Lokts (some of which in factory ammo have been Interlocks).

But have also used plenty of Bergers. If you use them enough to understand how they work, and place them accordingly, on average they have killed big game quicker than any other bullet used, including Interlocks and Ballistic Tips.

I’ve seen more elk killed than most and I 💯 agree with your statement about Bergers.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Right now Shooters Pro Shop has some 30 cal AB's, 165 gr blems for $36/50. These are very accurate and good elk gitters.
AB BLEMS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I still go back to Phil's byline (458Win) on the '06.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

I think that about says it all. And he should know.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It does just fine

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Right now Shooters Pro Shop has some 30 cal AB's, 165 gr blems for $36/50. These are very accurate and good elk gitters.
AB BLEMS
Thanks ordered 200

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything that needs to be said on this topic has been said on this thread and I thank y'all for it. That said, I feel the urge to state that I never felt out of place with an 06 boltgun save for a prarie dog shoot.

06 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX I carried up and down the Talkeetnas in bear country. 06 with 150 grain Federal Blue box I carried when with the Alberta Conservation Office in moose, elk, wolf, bear country.

Ain't many troubles that can't be fixed with 700 dollars and a 30-06...

;-)

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
AB BLEMS
Even better price now…. 31.00. Just ordered 500, thanks for the heads up.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by boliep
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
One of the guys who hunts with us hit an cow elk with his Ford F-250 Super Duty.

I bagged a large Cottontail with my F250 this morning. Terminal destruction was immediate.

Was the "terminal destruction" to the truck or the rabbit? smile

See,that is just crazy! A F250 for bunnies?? That is like using a 10 gauge on a house fly. You know a .410 or a Hyundai will do the job just fine.
F-150 may be a better fit... grin

Afterall, those wabbits ain't that big... wink

DF

Yep, that 42 million grain projectile moving about 88 fps is bound to make some impressive hits!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
18 pages jfc obi_wan and his friend still don't impress me idiots never do. Obi_wan do or not do there is no try, I think that's what you told Luke in the swamp. Obi you better stay home and do what your wife tells you too.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since this has become a discussion of bullets - I switched to the Barnes TTSX when a Ballistic tip hit 2 ribs & made a palm sized entry wound on a good sized bull. Lots of snow or I would likely not have recovered him 500+ yards away.

I’m very fond of elk burgers, often process my own elk & deer & my family will eat lots of game meat during a normal year. I’ve always doubted that lead poisoning was even possible with normal meat care but was shocked when I saw the high speed video of lead bullet fragmentation. I didn’t go copper because of it but am happy now it’s no concern at all.

Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (3333vl, 470Evans, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,188
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.