Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have two of them, a 223 and a 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel was part of a package deal where I bought a few rifles and sold all but the Grendel, basically clearing enough on the deal that the Grendel was a freebie. I put a Stockys seconds carbon fiber stock that cost $300 on it, and the OG bottom metal which was another $160. So, my total on that Howa isn't too bad.

On the other hand, I paid $450 for the Mini 223, and have left it as is, because I'm using it as a truck gun. If I'd fixed it up like I did the Grendel, I'd have over $900 in it, and that's not including a scope and the mounts. The Howa Minis are certainly nice little rifles, and both of mine shoot very good, but IMO I wouldn't want to have anymore money tied up in mine than what I have.

When the pig is pretty enough to suit you, you’ve applied enough lipstick. If I wanted a truck gun, I’d likely only swap out the guard for an aluminum one that takes the factory mags. After I found the CZ mag unit was reliable, I bought three more mags while the gettin’ was good. Sooner or later, they’ll dry up. The three-shot fits flush and is the one that stays in the rifle.

Pappy, I cut a 10 round factory mag down to hold 5 223 rounds, as well as grinding some off the mag release button on the Mini 223. This makes it a lot nicer looking as well as handling better in the field, at least for me. I carry an extra 10 round mag as a backup. If I keep the 223, I'll probably replace the plastic bottom with a metal one at some point in time.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I rebarreled mine to 375 SOCOM. Had to open up the bolt, rework the extractor and make a magazine from sheet metal as well.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/24/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Anybody rebarrel one to 6.5TCU for centerfire silhouette? I'm told that with heavy bullets it has enough moxie to knock over rams at 500M. The small action, minus bottom metal for single shot use and a lightweight composite stock will allow for a stiff heavier barrel good for offhand shooting while meeting weight requirements.

My recent rebarrel to a 6 x 45 on a Savage single shot action, with 100 grain Hornady SP/BT, I've been able to easily hit steel the size of a cast iron frying pan at 400 yds. The hanging type.

I've got a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel for that kind of work... hit them with 123 FMJ bullets from Hornady, bulk purchase.
Load was 29 grains of W 748. Hornady 4 x 16 Convenant 4 Scope on top.

Did you use a Savage Precision Target action or a single shot rifle for the rebarrel. Curious also whose barrel did you use?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Been researching the How mini rifle in .223. Street price is under $500. Am thinking it would make a good platform to rebarrel to 17 Remington.
Anyone have any experience with the Howa mini series?

Take a deep breath and start at the fhuqking start. What EXACTLY are you hoping to achieve and in what application(s)? Why the .17 affinity. Hint.

Flyweight 17 Rem,from a several days ago. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Flyweight Mini Carbon Howie,from yesterday. Hint.

SniffleKchunt has never even seen,let alone shot ANY of it. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
ACD Offline
A
Nice looking Loomis Big Stick

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ACD
Nice looking Loomis Big Stick
Not a fly rod though

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Finally picked up the rifle. Amazing trigger for a sub $500 rifle. Lifetime warranty to original buyer. Bolt needs some “work in time” to smooth it up. No plans to shoot it yet. It will most likely stay in the safe until I find a supply of 17 Remington brass at a reasonable price then it will be sent out for a rebarrel.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ACD,

I never noticed. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Finally picked up the rifle. Amazing trigger for a sub $500 rifle. Lifetime warranty to original buyer. Bolt needs some “work in time” to smooth it up. No plans to shoot it yet. It will most likely stay in the safe until I find a supply of 17 Remington brass at a reasonable price then it will be sent out for a rebarrel.
Maybe think of .17-222. Easy neckdown with no fireforming, brass easy to obtain, can use Lapua brass, excellent feeding in all actions, faster than .17 Fireball.

A
ACD Offline
A
Big Stik, own several myself!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MUCH prefer the GL3 to the GLX. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

A
ACD Offline
A
Thank goodness for lifetime warranty

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They wouldn't let me "downgrade" to a GL3 and I had to pay $100 or $150,which cracked me the fhuqk up every time. Hint.

I've caught some NICE fish on that rod,this week. Hint...............

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

I now have enough Mini’s. 222, 22 Nosler, 6.5 Grendel and a 7.62x39. The Nosler was a pencil barrel 223 I bought for cheap, vertical strung. I have enough 223’s, so a prefit 22 Nosler barrel was ordered. Not much love is seen for the 22N. I have zero issues with the cartridge shoots 40-69’s almost as good as a rig that cost me about 3k. Used 6.5G mags, had to remove a small amount of material on the back lower part of mag so the bolt would pick up the Nosler rebated case.

The 222 got a Boyd’s varmint stock and is a darn fine shooter for the $$$. Wish there was trigger tech or jewel trigger for them.

FYI the 7.62x39 is sure not as slick as the previous earlier three. Just seems draggy and rough.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I am of the opinion the long neck does help with over bore heat and flame issue.
Know a fellow that built a 17-223 and kept it pretty tame and he saw shorter life than his 17 Remingtons from years past.

The 6.5TCU may not work/feed from the Howa mini as they are fairly long most of the time. Even more so with a chamber set up to keep as much case space for powder as possible. On the other hand the 6ARC and 6.5 Grendel are super match for this action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Danglin' Dog Schit Junk...you want this. Hint.

#3 on it's way to me and 3.475" COAL. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint...............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Danglin' Dog Schit Junk...you want this. Hint.

#3 on it's way to me and 3.475" COAL. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint...............
2.475" dumbass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Pardon the typpo on wares that exist,as you greedily read my EVERY word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel,while you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder if you could get a 22br to feed from a 450 bushmaster mini donor?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.