Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use 0W-20 Mobil 1.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have written about this here before a number of times.

The short version is motor oils work fine. Pick the right one for the environment conditions.

I use 0w-20 for freezing and sub zero temps.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Having done some testing of both man and machines in temps in the negative numbers, guys quickly figured out that their regular gun lube/lubricant applied excessively gummed up their guns to the point of repeated failures.

Also when I worked out of the various embassies, and would periodically be assigned to oversee the weapons/armory programs I would go to the vehicle maintenance shop and get a few quarts of motor oil. I put these in spray bottles and kept spray bottles of motor oil in each of the fixed machine gun locations to keep the MGs running.

These days, for the average shooter/hunter/sportsman, even the cheapest quart of generic motor oil is going to keep your handguns, shotguns and rifles lubed for an incredibly long time.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Most lubricants, including motor oils work fine if applied rationally.
And it's free, sorry about thinking like a liberal.. LOL. But after an oil change, I would tip the bottle upside down and recover the leftover in the lid and use it to lubricate door hinges, etc. also.
Ditto.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's always fascinating to watch the winds of change blow around here. It wasn't long ago that threads about cleaning and lubrication products for firearms would have quite a number here ready to come to blows over whose snake oil of choice was far and away the best ever and the only thing fit to apply to a firearm and if you didn't agree you must be a girl (or at least really want to be a girl.) Now everybody is jumping on the "synthetic motor oil is all you need" bandwagon.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have written about this here before a number of times.

The short version is motor oils work fine. Pick the right one for the environment conditions.

I use 0w-20 for freezing and sub zero temps.

Having done some testing of both man and machines in temps in the negative numbers, guys quickly figured out that their regular gun lube/lubricant applied excessively gummed up their guns to the point of repeated failures.

Also when I worked out of the various embassies, and would periodically be assigned to oversee the weapons/armory programs I would go to the vehicle maintenance shop and get a few quarts of motor oil. I put these in spray bottles and kept spray bottles of motor oil in each of the fixed machine gun locations to keep the MGs running.

These days, for the average shooter/hunter/sportsman, even the cheapest quart of generic motor oil is going to keep your handguns, shotguns and rifles lubed for an incredibly long time.

Same here, Mobil 1 0/20 was what we used the most, and we also mixed it with the Mobil One red grease. A dollup of the grease then mixed with 0/20 until it runs like a warm molasses worked excellent as well. Lubed with either seemed to keep hard carbon from forming as much and was easy to wipe down. In the desert plain old light coat of 0/20 great since you could rub it on and wipe it down and the metal still has a light coat retained.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Being in the automotive business, I've wondered if a full synthetic 0W16 or 0W20 motor oil would work as a gun oil. I have tried a cooking oil about 15-20 years ago and I found if applied to a firearm the didn't come out of the safe for a good length of time, the oil would start to get tacky and gummy. I would think the light/thin motor oil would be good in extreme cold conditions.

Birddog

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Hunting trip to middle of nowhere, I took a chunk out of my thumb doing a fast reload of a Ruger No.1. Turned out neither of us had brought a cleaning kit (that won't happen again), the only oil we had was cooking oil. I cleaned the blood off and lubed everything with that veggie oil. Worked fine and there wasn't even a blemish on the blue.

Your vehicle dipstick makes a nice oil applicator.

#farmerloggerlogic😁

The first time I saw that done, I was you could have knocked me over with a feather; why had I never thought of something so simple? But that time in WY I needed more than a few drops.☹️

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use the same oil on my guns that I use in my car - Liquimoly 5w-40 (German synthetic). The only thing I don't oil is the insides of bolts/breechblocks. They stay dry or at most lubed with colloidal graphite. The 20W-50 Castrol I use in the MG is probably too thick.

Years ago I was an advocate of CLP, and stocked up on it. Now with that stuff I figure I have a lifetime supply of oil for my slip stones and sharpening stones.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, are you guys saying that 3 in 1 oil is not the be all and end all of lubricants these days? Dang, I still have a can my mom bought in 1962 for her sewing machine.

I bought a quart of ATF a few years ago when that was the penultimate panacea for everything that moved or rusted. My heirs will probably get what's left of it and then pass it down to their heirs...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
So, are you guys saying that 3 in 1 oil is not the be all and end all of lubricants these days? Dang, I still have a can my mom bought in 1962 for her sewing machine.

I bought a quart of ATF a few years ago when that was the penultimate panacea for everything that moved or rusted. My heirs will probably get what's left of it and then pass it down to their heirs...

Either will be fine.

There is a lot of talk about oil causing trouble in cold weather.
Way more talk, than guys hunting in sub zero weather.
We haven't had sub zero daytime Temps during hunting season in years.
If we did, participation would be low!

Not say guys don't hunt in the cold,
but overall the percentages aren't high.

Dust is probably a bigger concern.
Everyone deals with dust, hunting or storage.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is that any petroleum lubricating oil is fine, but a synthetic oil might be less likely to congeal and gum things up.

Also, I've wondered about the utility of mixing in a little halogenated solvent like "perc"
(for solvency and dispersion); that's what I'd guess "CLP" is from the smell of it.

Last edited by night_owl; 04/18/23.

abusus non tollit usum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's like the old saying of tractor owners. You don't hear about breakdowns from using the wrong grease. You do hear about breakdowns using no grease.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Lucus gun oil. It's probably the same stuff they put in their motor oil cans but the applicator tip was worth the few extra dollars I paid for the bottle. Before you start railing on me about paying too much for oil, keep in mind a bottle of gun oil can last 10-15 years. laugh

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Duck hunting in cold weather taught me to lube very sparingly. Basically use brake cleaner to remove whatever is in there and apply a very thin oil and then wipe it off with a cloth leaving nothing but a very thin film - almost dry.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would lube my guns with motor oil anytime.

But not the other way around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used Mobil 1 on handguns and AR-15s. Works just as well as any other oil. I use Super Lube grease now.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gone to 100% grease myself for the last few years - Slip2000. There doesn't seem to be a downside.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a reprint of a U.S. WW I era rifle manual and it recommends Vasoline petroleum jelly as a lubricant. Gun grease has improved quite a bit since 1917. I've got a can of U.S. Army gun grease circa 1960s that works quite satisfactorily that my great-grandchildren will still be able to use. It just takes a little dab. I generally use the old rule of "if it slides, grease it and if it rotates, oil it".

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
50/50 Mobil 1 and Slick 50

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a old 3&1 oil bottle, 2/3 Mobil #1 plus 1 tea spoon of STP works on every thing, Freezing or Max Temp 2000 deg. Rio7

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 2ndwind, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,587
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.