Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
SPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by SPK
My only experience with them is when the guy on the adjoining hunting property touches off a round with his, I know exactly which rifle he is using.........

Brakes don't make guns "louder", they just redirect the noise and make it seem louder to those in close proximity. Your neighbor could almost certainly remove the BOSS, and it would sound exactly the same. Basically, touching off a round when you're on the next property over? No difference. Touching off a round and you're on the next bench over? Big difference.

Did I say "louder?" It's funny Jason ,that over coffee after the hunts with my buddy where he used that specific rifle, I "guessed" accurately each time he pulled the trigger on his BOSS-ed rifle. But I do appreciate your expertise. Thank you.

GB1

A
A
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I have had one in .30/06 since I bought it new in 1996. Followed the instructions and had the rifle shooting 5 shot one-hole groups at 100m in an afternoon. Tuning it to different loads has proved just as easy, and if you write the setting down you can easily return to it.

I am about to go through this process with a Stainless Stalker in .30-06.
I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your BOSS settings for various loads.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieMixel
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I have had one in .30/06 since I bought it new in 1996. Followed the instructions and had the rifle shooting 5 shot one-hole groups at 100m in an afternoon. Tuning it to different loads has proved just as easy, and if you write the setting down you can easily return to it.

I am about to go through this process with a Stainless Stalker in .30-06.
I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your BOSS settings for various loads.

I believe guys already posted that information. It may be hard to read though. Go back a page or 2. As for my experience, I started a thread on a rifle that has the BOSS on it. I have always been one that hated the looks, but after using it, I had a change of heart. It noticeably reduces felt recoil, and has some other benefits. A while back, I bought near identical 7mm remington magnum rifles, and the BOSS equipped rifle has less recoil. The noise of the BOSS does not bother me too much, and I am one that hates brakes. Maybe it's where I have it set, who knows??

Also, if you are a handloader, that really defeats the purpose of the BOSS. If you work up loads like I do. You can set the BOSS anywhere and fine tune the load to that setting. Where the BOSS really shines is if you only use factory ammo. Then you can tune the BOSS to your factory ammo. This was the main selling point of the BOSS.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is an older video that explains it very well.

Browning Boss System

As others have mentioned, if you hand load, then don't use their sweet spot. Pick the middle setting and tune your load to this setting. This allows you to have adjustment on both ends of spectrum. I have been shooting a Medallion 7mag A-Bolt II since about 1994 when I got it as a kid. Wasn't until just recently I picked it up and started shooting my Tikka. Now that I reload, I plan on pulling it back out and setting it up strictly for long range. I'll tune the load to the setting of my choice then dial it in any closer if I can.

If you have ever taken it completely off, there is a plastic type strip that gives resistance to the adjustment brake section. I lost mine prob 15 years ago. Weedeater string works perfect and fits perfect in the small groove that it lays in. telling you this because it you pull it off to clean the brake, keep an eye on that strip.

Also, the "sweet spot" settings that Browning lists, do not list most of the newer high BC bullets. So as BSA mentioned, if your shooting factory ammo and it isn't listed, then find the closest one and use the method in the video or do this:

1) Put setting at 0, fire 2 shots
2) Put setting at 1, fire 2 shots, if shots open up, dial back tenths to fine tune. If shots group closer, turn to 3.
3) While n setting 3, fire 2 shots, repeat process until desired groups are found.

Also, if your not interested in the brake and the recoil is ok with you, get the CR tuner. CR (Conventional Recoil) tuner is the same as the radial brake, just not near as loud. However you will get all of the recoil like a normal rifle. In 1994 I inquired about it and Browning gave me one for free. So I have both. Not sure if they still do that or not, however it can be purchased. If you do indeed look for one, let me know, my CR case has a list of the model numbers on the back of it from 223 to 375 caliber.

Oh and at the time, people thought it was the ugliest thing that they had ever seen. Now pro shooters like Eric Cortina sell their version of their "barrel tuner" (BOSS) to the public so load can be tuned to their setup.

Last edited by SDupontJr; 04/20/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by RickBin
1). They work.

2). They are ugly as sin.

3). They are louder than hell.

Exactly, and if my M70 280 is typical, you also lose some velocity because the barrel is effectively shorter.

And at one time you could get a “BOSS CR”: (Conventional Recoil) . It screws on to the barrel in place of the nuzzle break. Noise is less but recoil is “normal”

I've seen the BOSS work and very well at that. I'd probably look for a CR to replace the brake style BOSS.

Doesn't Eric Cortina sell a tuner?

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.