Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How well do Tikka factory mags hold up over the long haul?

Given the rather obscene cost of replacing them right now (in CAD particularly i bet), and not having been a Tikka owner longer than a year or two, been wondering about that. Ever break one or have any fails? Rough em up good and well, and have them survive?

Interested in long term and/or hard use stories, please!

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had a problem with mine, its a SuperLite and have had it 7-8 years.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Cool, thanks! Besides one good Jon boat/camping hunt mines lived a pretty pampered existence. They're $90 a pull here now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had a t3 that started life as a 243 since the very early 2000s. It's on its 3rd barrel but still has the original magazine. I wouldn't worry about it

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dude270
I've had a t3 that started life as a 243 since the very early 2000s. It's on its 3rd barrel but still has the original magazine. I wouldn't worry about it
Like Dude, I’ve been shooting Tikka’s for a long time and have had no issues with mine.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Like Dude, I’ve been shooting Tikka’s for a long time and have had no issues with mine.

Me neither.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
A guy in Australia watersrifleman makes very good aluminium magazines for tikkas and other make of rifles

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have 9 total mags that I use with 308 and 6.5 CM. Three are 3 round mags, Six are 5 round mags. They make one that is supposed to be specific for 6.5 CM. But visually I can't see any difference other than the "+" stamped on it. I sometimes use them interchangeably at the range and have never had a problem with 6.5 cartridges feeding from either mag. In rare cases 308 cartridges have hung up if I use the wrong mag. Never an issue with correct mags in each rifle. I make sure to use the right ones when hunting.

Other than that I've never had a problem. Never heard of anyone having a problem.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will have zero problems with Tikka magazines if your experiences match mine. They are good to go.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Same. Never an issue.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
About a month ago I purchased my first tikka, a t3x stainless in 308win. At the same time I also purchased a spare magazine (new) for $50.00. I'm old and suspect they'll outlive me. I wouldn't worry about having problems with the magazines.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have 9 total mags that I use with 308 and 6.5 CM. Three are 3 round mags, Six are 5 round mags. They make one that is supposed to be specific for 6.5 CM. But visually I can't see any difference other than the "+" stamped on it. I sometimes use them interchangeably at the range and have never had a problem with 6.5 cartridges feeding from either mag. In rare cases 308 cartridges have hung up if I use the wrong mag. Never an issue with correct mags in each rifle. I make sure to use the right ones when hunting.

Other than that I've never had a problem. Never heard of anyone having a problem.

The M+ allows for a longer OAL. I don't use 308w (M) mags in anything except for my 22-250's. My 7mm08, 308 and 6.5 Creedmoors get the M+ mags.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had one for 7 years, bought another Tikka last year, 3 total mags…never an issue. Plastic, but tough as hell. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tikka Sporter centerfire mags and Rimfire mags are absolute Dog Schit Junk,made of schit materials and schit design. CTR's get a pass,as they are Skookum,both in design and materials,as well as retention. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Though a few Teeker mags were in Today's Mail. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have hunted Tikka rifles for almost 20 years now and never had a problem with any magazine failing but i did lose a magazine that had two of my .300 Win handloads in it while i was hiking out of my hunting area several years ago. Now i always drop the mag and stick in in my pocket when im hiking to and fro..that thing is still laying somewhere on Black Mtn (I never did find it )...Hb

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OUCH! That sucks, Hb! Must have been quite a nasty surprise when you got to where you were going...and then hiking back with no mag.

Will definitely keep that in mind.

Stick, you'd told me before the CTR mags were better not only from a durability point of view, but also when it comes to options as far as COAL goes?

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty reassured. Was worried that rough country and handling would kill these mags quick, and near $100 pieces of plastic add up way too fast.

That said, would really like to add a T3X Lite Stainless in 223 Rem to the stable, to have the same setup as my big game rifle, and cheaper shooting. While at the same time, very good accuracy and some reach to play with.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My newest T3X Lite S/S 8" 223,kisses 75's at 2.520" COAL. OEM T3X 223 mags are hilarious pieces of fhuqking schit,compared to CTR mags. Hint.

Tossed said barreled action in a CTR handle,solely to reap the VASTLY superior magazine and bottom metal. Hint.

Everything else Teeker makes mag wise,is absolute fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

+1

Anytime i purchase a detachable mag type rifle i usually go ahead and get a spare mag as well.

Never have had an issue with my Tikka 3-round mags.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CTR's are double stack and hold (10) rounds,though I get it that none of you Dumbfhuqks actually shoot. Hint..............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.